7-08R---anyone made one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

7-08R---anyone made one?

Post by Thunder50 »

Got my 358/444 Rifle out of the safe to change scopes and re-sight in. Got to thinking that I just used a 358 reamer that I had, to make this rifle, that it wouldn't be much different to use a 7-08 reamer with the proper barrel, to make a 7-08 rimmed gun?
You could use 444 brass, but case necks might need to be reamed/turned, or just use 307 win brass, necked down? Would be like a 7-30 Waters on steroids.

Anybody already done this conversion, and if so, how did it work out? Thanks
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Hobie

Re: 7-08R---anyone made one?

Post by Hobie »

I believe JD Jones has done such a cartridge (as have others) with performance much as one would expect from the .308 case capacity. However, those were done on single-shots and some data and bullets might not work in a levergun due to COL with some bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Paco talked about this once: used the 307/356 winchester rimmed case, and necked to 7mm; i believe maybe called it the 7mm Shooting Times Easterner? made it up on the winchester big bore chassis; i wanted to make one for a while, but it is just another of the projects i dont have time for!
cable
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

hfcable wrote:Paco talked about this once: used the 307/356 winchester rimmed case, and necked to 7mm; i believe maybe called it the 7mm Shooting Times Easterner? made it up on the winchester big bore chassis; i wanted to make one for a while, but it is just another of the projects i dont have time for!
Yep, that was Jamison's development. It is ok I guess. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 7mm shooting times eastern load data can be found on Hodgdon's website. It has a sharper shoulder than the 7mm -08 , like that of an ackley improved. It's made from 307 case and just run them through the 7mm STE sizing die and fire form the shoulder. Reamers should be available to rent.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Mike Bellm also has a 7mm BELLM which is the 444 necked to 7mm. It uses standard 7mm-08 dies to form them. Tho he recommends using a 358 or 308 as an intermediate die/step
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Thanks. Get to thinking and no telling what will pop into my head!!! May have to look into that 7mm STE or the 7mm bellm
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

The 7mm STE is Layne Simpsons's creation. I made a 7mm-08 AI on a Big Bore receiver. I used a worn 7mm Rem Mag take off barrel and performance was disappointing. I will probably give it another try with a good barrel. Layne got 2700 fps with 140 grain bullets and 2900 with 120's with his cartridge. In his write up on the cartridge he said he first tried using a standard 7mm-08 reamer. He was disappointed with the velocities so he next developed the 7mm STE. He did not say what velocities he got with the 7mm-08 version.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Then there is the obscure (my favorite kind of cartridge) 7mm International Rimmed. A .30-30 necked down, fireformed into an almost Ackley Improved configuration. It isn't a rifle round, rather a pistol round chambered in my Wichita International SS pistol. This is a break open pistol that looks like a cross between a Colt 1911, a Contender and a Master Lock. It's similar to the 7mm Waters, except it has a longer neck. These 7mm's based on either the .30-30 or .308 are accurate and fine cartridges.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

You could rebarrel and chamber a big bore receiver to many cartridges based on the 308 winchester. Maybe a 243, 260, 7mm etc etc, but the limiting factor would be cartridge overall length, and suitability of bullets for any of these calibers.
I have built a 22-250rimmed based on the 307 case. This is in a standard receiver, so I keep pressures down with a slow powder and 50grn bullets. This combo is the most accurate lever I have come across so far.
I will be adding other switch barrels to this rifle, and propose to experiment with a 6.5mm combination using the 307 brass. The 6.5 bullets will need trimming back to cycle through the action, and I need to work out beforehand, what the BC will be, and if indeed the conversion is worthwhile.
The reason I play around with this, is to try and find better accuracy. In the field for hunting use, it does not matter 1 iota if its a 30caliber or 7mm or 6.5mm, they are all going to do the same job in a similar capacity case.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

P.S,
I now have a camera, so I will post pics of the setup under another topic heading.