OT: Whetstone ,Where to buy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Whetstone ,Where to buy

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Been relying on friends to sharpen my knives. So i have never bought one. What do you look for in one? Brand name or "dollar store" type?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Whetstone ,Where to buy

Post by 20cows »

Arkansas!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Arkansas, soft, medium, and hard.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Stone quarried in Arkansas, whichever grade.
Smith's is a good brand name. A "regular guy" needing to sharpen his skinner/gutter or his kitchen cutlery will do best with a Wachitaw stone. (Natives please forgive the spelling.)
Get as large as you can afford. A 4 in. pocket stone is absolute minimum. A 9 in.bench stone is best. Compromise in between.
Get honing oil with the stone. You'll need it to keep the pores from filling up with steel.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Smokey Mountain Knife Works is where I get my Arkansas stones:
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... Cat&Cat=96
I also used a leather strap, and a ceramic rod for finishing and maintaining an edge.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I prefer diamond stones and Japanese water stones - not cheap but well worth the $.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I wonder if there is video or YOU tube someplace showing the proper "hold" and method to really get the good sharp edge and do it fairly fast. Seems like I have worn out a few stones and still had a dull knife.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I talked to a fellow via a mail group one time that was from Hungary. He said that the whole time he was growing up his grandfather had a morning ritual. He would finish his coffee for breakfast, then he would turn his coffee cup over and run his pocket knife across the unglazed portion of the cup thereby sharpening his knife before he got up to go work on the farm that day.

I like ceramic stones, the ones by Spyderco are my favorites. These are tri angled in shape and you can sharpen anything with them. I even sharpen serated blades with them. I can get a wood chisel sharp enough that it will cut a curl from a flatened out magazine page. If you get the complete set they come with coarse and fine stones along with a set of diamond "speed sleaves" that are extra rough. I lost my set a few years ago durring a move and even went out and bought a second set.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

Go to the Library and check out Leonard Lee's book on sharpening. It goes into all types of sharpening in more detail than you could imagine. Many excellent photographs and drawings if the sharpening procedures. He makes a very good case for the water stones as well as silicon carbide paper on glass.
A good place to look at the various types of stones is a woodworkers store such as Rockler or Woodcraft.
I have the Washita, diamond, and water stones as well as ceramic and diamond rods. I use the diamond rod for the kitchen knives, and silicon carbide paper for tuning up the rest of the knives.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I envy those of you who can sharpen knives. I have a selection of sharpening stones I've accumulated over the years. Can't sharpen a knife to save my soul. I can sure make an almost sharp one dull though.

I used to have my friend in AZ sharpen mine. He can get them scary sharp.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I too prefer the diamond or ceramic stones. No oil, lubricate with water. I prefer DMT brand and keep the little fold up sharpeners close at hand most of the time. Works well for me with both knives and broadheads.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have been using an Arkansas stone, my grandfather had when I was a kid. I know it has to be 60 years old, and perhaps more. Here are my knife sharpening tips.

1. Don't let the blade get dull in the first place. Sharpen it before it gets dull.
2. Use a good Arkansas stone, held in a vise, so it is stable and you can get two hands on the knife if necessary.
3. Get the right bevel on the blade. You can use a cheap carborundum stone for this.
4. The purpose of liquid on a stone is to float off the metal particles and keep the stone open to bite.
5. Don't use an oil that will gum up the stone. I have founds Ed's Red to be a fine honing liquid
6. practice, practice,practice.
7. Oh yes, if you have a very fine edge, finish on a strop to remove the wire edge and straighten things up.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Along with the techniques discussed, here's an oddball question...what's a good test of sharpness?

For years I was told that if it would shave the hair off your arm after sharpening then it was a good edge. Then I was told not to since that was an unreliable test (not because you could cut yourself.... :lol: ) and to cut a piece of newspaper instead.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have found a good way to test an edge is to push it against your thumbnail. If it bites in it is sharp, if it slides easily it is dull. This way you can chack various parts of the blade to make sure entire blade is sharp. Just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Depends on how sharp you need it. For fine work I'll make it sharp enough to shave hair on my arm. For gutting I don't go sharper than a Washita will get me and sometimes stop at a med-fine carborundum stone will get me. Too fine an edge doesn't last as long especially if you are cutting through tendons and cartilage. Always check for a "wire" or "feather" edge. A few passes on a leather strop will align it. The finger nail test is a good one.

Also in good light looking straight down on the blade edge will reveal flat spots (look shiny).
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Whit Spurzon wrote:Too fine an edge doesn't last as long especially if you are cutting through tendons and cartilage.
That may be why I was told the hair test wasn't a good one...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I have just learned recently that the art to a razor sharp knife
is a good leather strop. :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have a 2 grade Japanese Waterstone, and Arkansas Oil Stone and a Carborundum Stone for rough work.

I KEEP my knives sharp with an old "Knob & Tube" ceramic insulator. Check the Fleamarkets. Best $.50 (or less) knife sharpener you could ever stick in your pocket.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

The thumb nail test and strop is what I always used on my razors. But because of their shape there should be no angle hold . Just lay the blade flat. I was so used to razors that I had a real hard time learning to sharpen a knife. A friend showed me how to drag my nail down the blade from top to the bottom edge , feeling the wire edge .As I continued the wire edge would move down until I could no longer feel it on both sides . By then it was usually sharp.

.....................................................Mutt