Scope recommendations?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Scope recommendations?

Post by nralover »

I am looking for a quality 4X scope for my Marlin. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scope recommendations?

Post by 86er »

I am hard on scopes. You can't go wrong with Leupold, Burris or Pentax.

I have never purchased, but have ended up with BSA, Bushnell and Nikon. For a variety of reasons I would not spend my money on any of them, nor would I grace my rifle with one even for free.

I have one Tasco that has held up well on a .50 cal muzzleloader for over 200 rounds. It is the lowest priced scope I own at about $59 retail. I would not hesitate to try one on your Marlin if price influences your decision.

There are often some good deal on used scopes available - frequently in the classified section here.

Stick with proven brands and it will be a lifetime investment that will serve you well.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Not cheap, but a Leupold VX II in the 1 x 4 is about perfect scope for a lever. The FX II 2.5 power Leupold would be a dandy too. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With the no recoiling 22, you could prolly get away with a cheaper scope, but I, too, recomment a Leupold/Burris.....Personally, I like Nikon, but several have mentioned a problem with cust. service and adhearing to the warrenty.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I used to be a die-hard Burris guy, but I haven't bought one of their products since they were purchased by Beretta a few years back and are no longer fully made in the USA anymore (I think the Fullfield's are now Filipino-made). I do hear good things about them still, though, from the likes of John Barsness.

So, I'll basically echo Joe on his recommendations for Leupold, Burris and Pentax (which is essentially a Burris product, anyway). One nice thing about Burris and Leupold is the transferable warranty. So, you can pick up a used one and send it to them for a good once-over free of charge. Not a bad deal.

Good luck,
Scott
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

I like Nikon scopes. The BuckMasters series is a really good scope for the money. It used to be that if you wanted quality, you went with Leupold, but other makers have now caught up with Leupold. For the price, a Nikon or Burris is as good or better deal than Leupold.

Todd
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'll second the Leupold 1-4x20. Perfect levergun scope.
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I picked up a cheap NcStar 4X from Midway a few years ago. Its a cheap scope but it has held up well to the recoil on my .308 Handi it is small light and has clear glass.

I would think it would be good on a lever.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Leupold VXll 1-4 X20 is the best IMHO.
:D
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The Weaver scopes are good scopes. Have one on my Remington 7600 .30-06. It is the 4X Weaver Classic.

EDIT: I like some of the Simmons scopes too. I've had a Simmons 8-Point 3x9x40 scope on my Savage 110 .30-06 for the last 8-years and it is holding up just fine with clear optics etc.. Cabelas has them on sale now.
ED
Yer never too old
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I am very partial to the old Weaver (made in the USA) K- series scopes.
My favorite scope is this K-3 wide field. :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5 if you or anyone else is interested. $250 delivered.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

jdad wrote:I have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5 if you or anyone else is interested. $250 delivered.
PM sent!

I love my Leupolds!

I also like Weavers for the price and Nikon Prostaffs with the BDC reticle as well.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
jdad wrote:I have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5 if you or anyone else is interested. $250 delivered.
PM sent!

I love my Leupolds!

I also like Weavers for the price and Nikon Prostaffs with the BDC reticle as well.

PM sent back....it's yours!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have seen more then one brand of optic that seems to be just as bright or brigher then Leupold, but one thing that Leupold has on just about all of the other brands and it beats some of the top brands badly at this is a forgiving eye-relief. And that is why most of my scopes are Leupold.

On a Leupold, you can move foward and backwards with your eye, for a good distance and still get a full field of view, where many other brands, only allow a very slight difference in eye position without loosing field of view.
NRA Life Member, Patron
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

casastahle wrote:I am very partial to the old Weaver (made in the USA) K- series scopes.
Hey nice. Is that a side-mount? Must be as that's not an angle eject or am I not seeing right?

jdad - thanks - I sent you a reply :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
casastahle wrote:I am very partial to the old Weaver (made in the USA) K- series scopes.
Hey nice. Is that a side-mount? Must be as that's not an angle eject or am I not seeing right?

jdad - thanks - I sent you a reply :D
You got a good piece of glass, Sir.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I too am partial to Weaver, I haven't tried a lot of scopes but bought the Weaver 1x-3x 20mm for quick acquisition and it is that. Optics seem nice and clear. I just bought a 2.5x-7x 28mm rimfire scope (before they are gone - the new ones are 32mm) because I was satisfied with Weaver.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

RSY wrote:I used to be a die-hard Burris guy, but I haven't bought one of their products since they were purchased by Beretta a few years back and are no longer fully made in the USA anymore (I think the Fullfield's are now Filipino-made).
I asked Burris themselves about this last year. The message I got was that "everybody's" binoculars are made overseas and the Fullfield II (only) is made overseas. The rest of Burris' line was still made here.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I always tell people to buy Leupolds...
2-7x, fixed 2.5, 1-4x, fixed 4x - all work extremely well for me...

Heck of a deal on the 1.5x to 5x Var-III -
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I have bought a few rifles in the past that had scopes, several brands, and they all work fairly well. But the best one I have, I bought specifically for a Browning 300 mag in the fancy grade Medallion. It is a VX II Leupold. Sharp and clear, just about all I could ask for in any light or any distance.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I live within 10 miles of the Leupold facility, but have never owned one. I've owned nothing, but Weavers.

I just posted some more vintage scopes, for sale, in the classifieds. Marlin #1, #2, and CF Microvue scopes.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

jdad wrote:I live within 10 miles of the Leupold facility, but have never owned one. I've owned nothing, but Weavers.

I just posted some more vintage scopes, for sale, in the classifieds. Marlin #1, #2, and CF Microvue scopes.
I hope you own one.... :shock: :lol: You are not claiming ownership since you didn't buy it outright.... and have sold it.... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!