Factory ballistics for 30-30 150gr power shock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Factory ballistics for 30-30 150gr power shock

Post by rjohns94 »

Was at the range this evening with my Marlin 1893. Its long 26 inch barrel is tipped with a blade front, and a open rear buckhorn. It also has a tang sight. First shots at 50 yards put three shots in about 1.5 inches high left. I was using the title ammo for these shots. I was about 5 inches high. the elevator for the rear sight was set on its lowest setting. This is a factory stock gun so changing the front sight is not an option for me. I can use the tang to shoot for point of aim and was successful in doing so tonight, with some nice three shot groups in the 1.25 inch range dead on. My question is, with the bullets hitting 5 inches high at 50, where would the factory ammo be at 100, 125, 150 yards? I will have a chance to shoot at those distances soon, but was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I am going back to shoot some leverution ammo and 170 grain loads but was wondering where the 150s will go at longer distances before I start shooting them.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Factory ballistics for 30-30 150gr power shock

Post by cshold »

I have no idea to your question, but man this is
one fine lookin rifle yea got there Mike. :wink:
How old is it?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

This rifle dates to the transition years after WW1. It was a police rifle that was barely used. I was looking at the ballistic calculator, and a 150 grain bullet, at 2390fps, with .5 inch front sight, it looks like if I'm high by 5" at 50, then I will be 9.2 high at 100yds, 11 at 150, and dead on at 300 yds. Hmmmm got to do something, that just wont do.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

According to my calculator, and based on a few lies from Winchester about the BC(.218) and muzzle velocity(2390) you would be 9 to 10 inches high
out from 100 to 200 yards if you are 5 inches high at 50 yards.
The rifle is pointing up and the bullet is still rising at 50 yards. It doesn't start to fall until it reaches 11.4 inches high at 165 yards.
You are +9.2 at 100, +11.4 at 165, +10.7 at 200.

Of course, this is based on theory and lies but it might get you started at the range.

Bob A
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks I used .238 for BC, and .4 for sight height. Thanks for the data. I am going to have to do something different. But then, a hold at hair line under the belly of a deer should drop them in the spine at 1-200 yards. hmmmm
Mike Johnson,

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

From my 26" barrel they clocked 2470 fps.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

ahh, thanks for that
Mike Johnson,

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

I know nothing about ballistics of that load, but I have seen reproductions of that front sight in { http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3023.htm } site. Were that my rifle and I wanted to shoot it, I'd gently remove the original front sight and put in a replica that I could adjust (file) to bring the POI to where I wanted it.

Just a thought.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Mike,

I know nothing about ballistics of that load, but I have seen reproductions of that front sight in { http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3023.htm } site. Were that my rifle and I wanted to shoot it, I'd gently remove the original front sight and put in a replica that I could adjust (file) to bring the POI to where I wanted it.

Just a thought.

Joe
I was going to say just the same thing... HONEST!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I don't think I need to file the front sight, I think it needs to be higher, doesn't it to bring the POA down?
Mike Johnson,