Mossburg 464

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Mossburg 464

Post by Windjammer »

In my last American Rifleman, Mossburg had a copy of the Winchester 94.

Have any of you seen one? If so, whata you think of it?

The write up seemed ok other than the wood was stained Birch.
Reqards,
Windjammer
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossburg 464

Post by awp101 »

There was a thread within the last week on these and OJ has some info on it.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

awp101 wrote:There was a thread within the last week on these and OJ has some info on it.
Yep - goes back for many months. Scroll down and you'll find it. The extractor on mine broke on about the 6th round and Paul Short said his broke on the first round. It's been repaired twice now and I just don't enjoy shooting it not knowing what will fail next. Action is rough and - basically - it's just a cheaply made gun for a cheap (not worth even that) price. It is nowhere near a good copy of my Winchester 94 30-30, much less an "improved" version as the write-up claims.

There was a similar write-up earlier this year in Shooting Times. Strangely enough - both magazines had full color adds for that rifle - see page 85 in the American Rifleman. Does that strike you as coincidence?

:evil:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks OJ, someone on another forum asked about one and I am passing this info along.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I looked at on in Chandler OK the other day. For the money...either of the two 70's vintage Winchester 94's on the rack next to the Mossberg were better rifles.

Whats a Canadian Centenial Octagon Sporting rifle worth these days?

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hillbilly wrote:...Whats a Canadian Centenial Octagon Sporting rifle worth these days?...
$450 up to about $700 depending on condition and what accrutements come with it. (box, hang tags, warranty card, etc.)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I was given one of these beautiful Mossberg rifles for my birthday. I have been so excited to try it out, but have not been able to go out shooting yet. I made up three dummy rounds to cycle through the action and get a feel of how a lever rifle works/feels. It's my first lever rifle.

I've broken the extractor.

I'm not kidding -- I literally ran those 3 rounds through it probably 3 or 4 times!

Extractor looks like a metal leaf spring from a pen lid. You know how they curl it over on itself at the tip, in order to assist you in a snag-free slide into a shirt pocket?

Look, it even bends like a clip on a pen cap! I pulled it out like this with my thumbnail.

I am interested to hear what Mossberg has to say about it. Does the extractor on your Winchester and Marlin rifles have that much flexibility? I'm used to beefy, stiff extractors on Soviet rifles (Mosins, AK, SKS) so perhaps my expectation is a little high, but come on...

More info to follow, I am sure...
Last edited by handyrandyrc on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

handyrandyrc,

Welcome to the forum!

...well, that is a shame. I, too, want to know what Mossberg says about this.

The extractors on my Rossi 92, my Browning B92, my Winchester 94, my former Winchester 93, and all of the Rossi & Winchester leverguns that I have handled & worked on have had mucho-stiff extractors. I mean seriously stiff! I had to thin down a couple of them, to save wear & tear on my brass.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

handyrandyrc welcome to the forum.Bummer on the Mossberg.Several forum members have had similar extractor issues with the Mossberg 464. :roll: Thanks for the pics.I hope this gun doesn't turn you off to all other leverguns.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

The extractor looks like a copy of the Marlin 336 extractor. I wonder if a Marlin extractor could be made to work.

The Mossberg does have a couple features that I like. I like the rear bridge because I do believe it strengthens the action. I also like the through bolted butt stock. Let me know if anybody wants to sell one cheap.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I certainly would never be interested in selling, I want to see if they will make it right. Perhaps they didn't harden the part properly, who knows. We'll see what they have to say.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Update, my father also has one of these rifles. His serial number is a bit higher, about 150 or so apart from each other. His extractor is very hard, doesn't hardly move with thumb pressure -- more like a real extractor should work. I am hoping it was just a bad parts run on a few early ones or something. On the phone with Mossberg (waiting in queue) so I'll update with what they have to say.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

handyrandyrc wrote:I certainly would never be interested in selling, I want to see if they will make it right. Perhaps they didn't harden the part properly, who knows. We'll see what they have to say.
It's been my experience over the past five months that Mossberg is perfectly capable and happy to ignore the multiple problems I've reported to them - as well as others - see past threads- and returned the rifle for repairs.

It's a cheap gun made with cheap materials put together in a cheap way. No explanation will change that - only replacing it with a quality gun would work for me !!

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Since I have never dealt with them, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I've been told to ship it in for repair. I could also try and see if my local retailer has another on the shelf he'd trade me for, and allow him to send in for repair. However, I'd be checking the other one over really close before taking it. My father's extractor being so different than mine, I may trade them if it means they have done a newer part on higher serial # ones. I'll talk to my local retailer later today.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I have it packed up and ready to go back to Mossberg. My local retailer wouldn't/couldn't do anything for me, even though they had another new one sitting on the shelf. Mossberg says they will make it right, so now starts the wait...
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Man that extractor seems to be a very problematic issue huh? :cry:
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

FOTIS wrote:Man that extractor seems to be a very problematic issue huh? :cry:
That's only the surface the problem - of cheap parts and manufacturing - when I got mine back (after a month of waiting) with a new extractor, Before taking it to the range, I tried extracting a magazine full (six rounds) and, before I got to the second round, the screw holding the barrel band broke. Local gun stores didn't have a screw that small size for replacement (screws for other guns weere too large diameter) so I called the Mossberg repair shop for another screw.

They wanted me to ship it back for repair but I convinced them I had a screwdriver and could handle the repair job. Low and behold, in another three weeks, the screw replacement arrived in the mail.

Mossberg not only produced cheap merchandise but is indifferent to their customer's distress and inconvenience resulting from their cheap tactics. Mine sits in the corner of my office now (doesn't even deserve space in my safe) because I don't want to waste another trip to the range and pay for range time - only to find I can't get through a single box of ammo without the rifle breaking some part. Best hope would be it to get stolen so I could collect insurance since I wouldn't sell it anyone and risk having someone think what they would of me for selling them such junk.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

I was thinking about it for a while but I think I will stick to the Marlin.....
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

FOTIS wrote:I was thinking about it for a while but I think I will stick to the Marlin.....
Good choice - all the stuff I've reported here - or at least most of it - is on a thread I started last June mainly to report on the new gun but, quickly became a report on the problems I and others have experienced hoping perhaps to save them from the same problems.

This is a good forum for exchanging such information.

:!:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I decided I needed to get another 30-30 (lots of leverguns but no 30-30 at the time). In the span of 3 weeks I found a straight gripped Marlin 336 pre-safety gun for $225 at a Pawn shop, then 3 weeks later found a Wells Fargo commemorative Winchester 94 (that had been fired) for $500. I don't have any plans to get rid of either one.

I won't buy a levergun with a safety, with one exception, I bought a Marlin LTD III 45-70. I took one look at the new Mossberg lever gun and knew I wouldn't own one of those. IMHO if you want a quality lever gun, learn what to look for on a used gun and wait until you find a pre-safety Winchester or Marlin, and if you want a pistol caliber lever gun, spend the $$ for a Browning 92. I have two Rossi 92's now, and will be selling them soon. I just found a .357 B92 on Gunbroker and that one, paired up with my .44 B92 is all the 92's I need.

I also have a Teddy Roosevelt commemorative rifle (24" bbl) that I will be selling, since I prefer the shorter guns.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hey OJ, you've got enough experience to know that cheap is too expensive. (which is what you were saying, right?) :wink: Buy quality and accept that quality costs up front.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Hobie wrote:Hey OJ, you've got enough experience to know that cheap is too expensive. (which is what you were saying, right?) :wink: Buy quality and accept that quality costs up front.
Yep - well said - thanks

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Hobie wrote:Hey OJ, you've got enough experience to know that cheap is too expensive. (which is what you were saying, right?) :wink: Buy quality and accept that quality costs up front.
Precisely!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The one I tried out was no Winchester in terms of overall construction & materials, but it shot decently & gave me no problems.
Denis
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I am beginning to think I got the only good one of these rifles. I got a really ealry one the serial number is in the 1,300 range itsoudns like they made some changes to cheapen it up. They are releasing another caliber in the next month or so they better fix these ejectors, or it isn't going to last long.
Last edited by L.F.Combs on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I was just looking at the pictures on the first part of this thread, and my ejector looks a little different than the one in hte pictures. I am going to look at mine again to make sure, and compare it to the pictures.

update: MIne is really stiff, and looks a little thicker in the back part that wraps around the bolt, and that rests against the bolt.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Are you able to take a close up photo of your extractor? Mine is in the 3xxx serial number range, and is at Mossberg right now to fix the extractor.
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I miss typed on my number it is in the 1300 range, I have a few pictures it will take me a little time to post them. I am noticing that the pictures here in this thread show a extractor, and bolt with a little more polishing, and fitting. MIne is a little rough in appearence. I will get the pics posted as soon as I can.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

handyrandyrc wrote:Are you able to take a close up photo of your extractor? Mine is in the 3xxx serial number range, and is at Mossberg right now to fix the extractor.
The serial number of mine that has had numerous problems with extractors, screws, and rough action that frequently hangs up is 27XX. I dunno what number they started with but even if it was #1, mine would be fairly early in the production.

:?:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Hard to believe this sort of thing happens. It's like they design, build and ship with no testing. Seems like they'd be many dollars ahead by investing in a few boxes of ammo and getting it right in the first place. :roll:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

It's distressing just how hard it is to get good guns, first time out, anymore, where the cowboy guns are concerned. They're simple enough, and the business of building them is pretty well layed out. Too bad the manufacturers keep degrading the quality of the parts and components.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Okay, still waiting.

Sent on 10 Dec. Arrived 18 Dec (according to Mossberg). Happy New Year! It's been sitting on someone's bench for a week now (according to the last couple of calls I've made). No diagnosis has been made yet in their log. I'll bet it is sitting in a box waiting to be worked on still. :)
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sorry to hear :roll: !Keep us posted randy.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I couldn't warm up to the rear receiver bridge. I feel if you're going to "copy" a legendary firearm, than do it right and make it as close to the original as possible. What's next a removeable magazine on the '94 platform? Bleaahh. Sorry, had something in my mouth and it didn't taste good.
Old Law Dawg
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

kimwcook wrote: What's next a removeable magazine on the '94 platform? Bleaahh. Sorry, had something in my mouth and it didn't taste good.

Done right, I could dig that.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am planning on buying a .30-30 this year. I read this thread after posting the other, and now my choice is a Marlin. I have a Guide Gun, my wife has my old Marlin 336, and both are great guns. The Mossberg sounds like it needs to be redesigned big time. When Ruger encounters a problem, they bring in all the bad ones and fix them. Mossberg needs to follow Ruger's example in customer service.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

wonder what caliber is next for mossberg