CD Containers for reload bins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

CD Containers for reload bins

Post by JohndeFresno »

If you are using a 'puter, there is a good chance that you also "burn" CD's or DVD's.

If you use CD's or DVD's, there is a good chance that you buy them in bulk, inside the plastic containers with the spindle.

If you reload, you will appreciate the significance of a handy container for sorting brass, bullets and what not; especially after tumbling or vibrating large lots of brass. I love those old cigar boxes due to their size and shape, and because of the fact that the shells don't clink so loudly as they land on the cardboard or wood as I watch TV and do my sorting. But you can rarely get them for free, anymore. All the cigar stores in my area sell them to a re-supplier by contract. Coffee cans and other containers just annoy the family - and me - with their loud sound; and their height hampers my sorting speed.

Along comes the CD containers with their relatively shallow depth and soft plastic. I discovered that I can quickly cut the hollow spindle (boltcutters are excellent, but dykes will do). Then, I touch a match to the hollow spindle stub and light it up, then blow it out after a while and use a toothpick to mash the soft material into the center hole that is exposed (when you cut off the hollow spindle) to seal the bottom. Voila - the container is perfect for the sorting operation.

It also serves nicely, stored with the locking "bottom" on the top, as a transparent container for brass or other odds and ends; just the right height for most shelving.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CD Containers for reload bins

Post by marlinman93 »

I have my local quick mart save the old peperoni containers for me. Nice size, clear, and a screw on lid. I use them for storing brass and bullets. The shorter ones for bullets, and longer for brass.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CD Containers for reload bins

Post by Modoc ED »

Coffee cans. I still have about 50 of the old Folgers metal coffee cans and probably the same of their newer plastic coffee cans. I just slap a lable on em saying what's in them and it works just fine. I only keep my fired brass in these cans. Once deprimed, cleaned, full length sized, and primer pockets cleaned, they go in MTM Case Guard plastic boxes and once reloaded, I store the finished cartridges in MTM Case Guard plastic boxes too.
ED
Yer never too old