Rock Island Auction Co.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alamogunr
Levergunner

Rock Island Auction Co.

Post by alamogunr »

In the mail today was another Rock Island Auction Co. circular, although describing it as a circular does not do it justice. Many photos of hundreds of collector type firearms. My question is: Are all those guns pictured actually going to be in the auction that is announced by the circular. I'm just curious. I could never afford the type of guns that are pictured nor would I want them. Most are too pretty to shoot and I have no use for "display only" guns. I guess I'm just amazed that there are that many guns available at one time, especially in the condition these apparently are. Has anyone ever been to one of these auctions?

John
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Rock Island Auction Co.

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've been to their facility - though not when it is set up for an auction.

They wouldn't let me move in and handed me a mop before I could leave.

Aparantly they were afraid slobber causes rust.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

alamogunr wrote:In the mail today was another Rock Island Auction Co. circular, although describing it as a circular does not do it justice. Many photos of hundreds of collector type firearms. My question is: Are all those guns pictured actually going to be in the auction that is announced by the circular. I'm just curious. I could never afford the type of guns that are pictured nor would I want them. Most are too pretty to shoot and I have no use for "display only" guns. I guess I'm just amazed that there are that many guns available at one time, especially in the condition these apparently are. Has anyone ever been to one of these auctions?

John
I've been there numerous times, their fliers ARE made up from the current auction items, if there is something else with a photo like a sold for $$ at last auction which is clearly identified as such etc... In my opinion Rock Island is reputable and they attempt to do fair assessments, identifications, and will make corrections when identified. But don't be picking on those of us who also also appreciate the history, research, and have a few safe queens ;)
alamogunr
Levergunner

Post by alamogunr »

My comments weren't meant to be taken as "picking on". Just that I can't afford collector type guns in the condition that those pictured seem to be. If I could afford guns like those I would have a walk in vault to hold them and only segregate them by "shooting" and "non-shooting".
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most of the really big auction houses seem to specialize in selling firearms estates, so often they have several combined into one really high quality auction.
The guns listed are often very high end, and if they have any small estates, or single pieces of equal quality, they save them to combine them all in one high end auction.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've won three old guns at their past two auctions. All three I won at prices less than what I could probably find anywhere else. One of them, an original Springfield 1888 45-70 in about 85 or 90% condition, I put in a real low bid on a whim and actually got it! I did call ahead before the auction and the fellow described its condition to me and it was at least as good as described. At the last auction, I won a restored 1st generation Colt (including bone and charcoal color case hardening) for a price that was lower than expected. It really depends who wants what. A lot of pieces go for higher than estimated, and others go for very good prices indeed.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

alamogunr wrote:My comments weren't meant to be taken as "picking on". Just that I can't afford collector type guns in the condition that those pictured seem to be. If I could afford guns like those I would have a walk in vault to hold them and only segregate them by "shooting" and "non-shooting".
I know"s" I was just razzing you a bit ;)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The trick to getting these fine antique firearms in an affordable way is to get them before the auction houses do. :D :D . Here in the East, I find many guns coming out of the "woodwork" so to speak.

Sure, those boys spend some serious money on those guns. It has proven to be a much better and solid investment than the stock market. :D --------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sixgun wrote: It has proven to be a much better and solid investment than the stock market. :D --------------------------Sixgun

You've said that a couple times. Maybe you should put together a pamplet that I could give to my Wife so she doesn't have to take my word for it. :lol: :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Andrew wrote: You've said that a couple times. Maybe you should put together a pamplet that I could give to my Wife so she doesn't have to take my word for it. :lol: :D
Andrew,
Its easy as pie. First, spend some time stashing some cash away. Then go buy some junky gun for $10. Tell your wife you are going to make $500 on it. Take the gun and throw it in the river and show her the cash! Give her half of it:D For a $250 investment, she won't question you anymore.See! Easy! :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Sixgun wrote:The trick to getting these fine antique firearms in an affordable way is to get them before the auction houses do. :D :D . Here in the East, I find many guns coming out of the "woodwork" so to speak.

Sure, those boys spend some serious money on those guns. It has proven to be a much better and solid investment than the stock market. :D --------------------------Sixgun
Believe it or not I found one on ebay they didn't catch recently, thank goodness the guy who was selling it knew not to use the word gun but he also couldn't spell or a lot of other people would have. I would say embarrassingly (but I'm not) I've already resold it and I made a LOT of money on the deal.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

DavidFagan wrote:... I've already resold it and I made a LOT of money on the deal.
Excellent ...
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.