We shot LeverEvolution today - interesting results

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

We shot LeverEvolution today - interesting results

Post by 86er »

PREFACE: A guy I know told me every year he buys several boxes of ammo in different brands for each of his rifles. He shots a few of each and keep the one that is most accurate for the hunting season. I found this bizarre - wouldn't the same one that was best last year be the same? He swears not and does this ritual. In the 30-30 he ended up with more than one box of LeverEvolution and a full box of Rem 150 Core-Lokt. I traded one box of Grizzly Cartridge 300gr Cast 45 Colt (20 rounds) for two boxes LeverEvolution 30-30, one box Rem 150 Core-Lokt 30-30, one box 25-06 Rem 100 gr Core-Lokt, one box Federal Premium 7mm Mag 160gr NP and one full brick of Rem Lightning .22RF!

I have heard over and over how the Red Tips shoot 6" higher than anything else. RKrodle and I set out to find out for ourselves. We sighted in our Marlin to print 2.5" high at 100 yds with the Hornday Red Tips. Good news #1 - we got 1" 5 shot groups shooting semi-supported. Once sighted in with the Red Tips, we shot the 150 gr Rem's to see where they'd hit. Good news #2 - they hit dead on at 100 yds with 1.75 inch 5 shot groups. It is comforting to know that the rifle can be stuffed full of Rem 150's and shoot dead on at 100 yds, while the Red Tips will print 2.5" high at the same range without having to touch the sights. This make the rifle ready for deer out to 200 yards with no hesitations. We got lucky with the rifle liking the ammo and we did our job consistently today. Now if we can just get one of those Red Tips into a deer .....

To round out the day we sighted in a Marlin 1894 in 357 to print 180 gr casts 1" high at 50 yards and a new-to-us 30-06 with handloaded 165's printed 1" groups to 2.5" high at 100 yds. Ricky's 7mm Mag was right on with his handloads too. Finally we are getting all the rifles sighted in and ready to go.

Ended the day with a short round in the treestand holding the bow. No cooperative deer today though.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Re: We shot LeverEvolution today - interesting results

Post by Ysabel Kid »

86er wrote:PREFACE: A guy I know told me every year he buys several boxes of ammo in different brands for each of his rifles. He shots a few of each and keep the one that is most accurate for the hunting season. I found this bizarre - wouldn't the same one that was best last year be the same? He swears not and does this ritual.
Joe - sounds like a wonderful day despite none of the local deer cooperating with you fellas in the deer stand!

Looking over your post, me thinks this guy is just looking for an excuse to buy more ammo and shoot more. I can hear the conversation now. "But honey, I need to test these new rounds. You wouldn't want me making a deer suffer, would you?". :wink:

Works for me! :D
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Cool news. I wish I had more time/place to test stuff. That 30-30 sounds like a real shooter to me, should make lots of meat for the din-din table.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

86er, interesting results. I bought a new marlin 1894 .44 mag to use in Indiana deer season this year. I sighted in with win. white box 240 gr. ammo. Then shot the LE ammo. They hit to almost the same point of impact.

I also took out my GG, that I hadn't shot since africa. Shot some LE that I had, and it was basically dead on with my nosler ammo, that I shot over there.

Good info!

maddog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Love these reports. Thanks for posting Joe.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well that's interesting.

The LE stuff shoots lower in my 94BB/ 444 Marlin.

Have a couple boxes of 450, 45-70 and 45Colt that I haven't tried yet.
Guess I'm going to have to go shooting tonight. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

good stuff Joe, thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Good report - thanks Joe.

Although I've eschewed the LE as not enough of an improvement for those who handload, I have to say that every report on them that I've heard or read has been positive in the accuracy dept.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sounds like you had a ball of a day :D

Nath
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

After running into a guy just raving about them last time I was at the range, I decided to finally pick up a box of the .30-30 Leverevelution. Last week I went to the range after work, and brough the box of Hornady ammo along with me. Was having a terrible time and couldn't put groups together, so I only ran three of the Hornady loads through my rifle. Noticable increase in recoil over my 150 gr. reloads, and shot a couple inches higher IIRC. Wish I'd had a chrono with me to be able to compare my reloads to the Hornady ammo. I'm sure the Hornady's were at least 100 fps faster, maybe more.

~Michael