22 Magnum Launching Pads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

22 Magnum Launching Pads

Post by Idiot »

The 22 Magnum has worked its way to the top of my buy list (the 45/70 Government is still a couple points down). I can no longer afford one in the old Winchester XTR model so I've narrowed my choices to either the Ruger 96/22M or the Henry Goldern Boy.

I have both of the above in 22LR and they both shoot fine. However, the 22 Magnum is a much more powerful cartridge than the 22 long rifle and warrants long range accuracy. The magnum is also a longer cartridge than it long rifle sister and uses more grown up bullets. Do any of you guys have a preference between these two rifles? If so, please let me know and give the details. Thanks.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22 Magnum Launching Pads

Post by mescalero1 »

I want a Henry Golden Boy, with the long octagon barrel and a full length brass 4x scope like Tasco used to make.
Just for the "look "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would pick the Ruger. Ok, so I have two .22 WMRFs. One is my Single-Six and the other is a Contender carbine barrel.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Certainly NOT a lever, but the semi-auto Remington 597M is a well made arm, mounts to the shoulder like an adult's gun and is well liked by those I know who have one. Same price range as the 96/22M.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I like the look of the Ruger more than the Golden Boy but I have had two Winchester 9422M's and I would look for another before considering buying anything else.
The Ruger does look cool though. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I like the 22 mag. I use it in the single-six and I also own an el cheapo Marlin 25MN bolt in it. I bought it for under $100 bucks a few years back and killed quite a few groundhogs with it. With a medium priced Simmons scope on it, almost can shoot 1 hole at 50 yards. Then my father claimed it as his fall squirrel gun and has killed about a truckload of squirrels with it not to mention a fall turkey or 2 - head shots from a sitting position. I had to buy him his own to get mine back and both of these Marlins shoot good. I really like the 22 mag as a hunting round.

If only looking at those 2 - I think I would go with the Ruger -
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have the 597, shoots well; it's uglier than a mud fence.
Twinsfan
Levergunner

Post by Twinsfan »

My truck gun is a Henry H001M . Nice lightweight easy to shoot rifle. I bought it used in like new condition for $230 so I don't lose any sleep if I get a scratch on it. I've never shot a Golden Boy but I would think it's about the same. Ruger also makes a fine rimfire. I shot a 10/22 for years (and still have one) before becoming addicted to the levers. I'd be happy with either one.
I am King of my castle; I do whatever I want, whenever I want to, ...... as long as my wife says it's OK.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't personally care for the 96/22, and won't own another GB, either.

I own & like my Henry H001 .22 - Have you considered the Henry H001TM, which is a blued .22 mag w/20" octagon barrel & normal (dovetail) rifle sights ?

Henry calls it the "Frontier Model":

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h001t_leveroctagon.cfm

It's quite easy to peep or scope.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not a lever gun but my Mann. stocked CZ 452 is one tack drivin' son of a gun.
With the heavier 40 grain bullets it will punch one hole 1/2" groups at 100 yds.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"