OT - snagged a wingmaster... pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - snagged a wingmaster... pic

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I love Remington Wingmaster pump guns. And while BS'ing with my buddy at his gun shop, I see one on the rack...

12guage, 2 3/4", modified choke in good to vg condition, all original including the buttpad - $320.

The lowest I can find on gunbroker is $420 - with bids, so I feel pretty good about the price. They've gone up a bit - but then, so has everything else I guess.

Anywa, it came home with me - took it apart and cleaned it all up this afternoon:

I really like these older wingmasters - so light and they have enough drop in the stock so my face doesn't get whacked with each shot - which makes me shoot better :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - snagged a wingmaster... pic

Post by mescalero1 »

OSAK,
I bought High Standard Flite King .20 guage from G/B
Vent rib, stock is just perfect, N.M. birds are in trouble.
Great bird hunting up there and no one I can think of does it.
10,000 acres plus the military reservation, I can hunt there, walk all day and never see a single soul.
My dog Snazzy is going to love it.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very nice. The 870s can't be beat.

I have several of them (870s). 1 for my house gun; 1 in each vehicle; 1 in my shop, 1 in my shed and a couple more in the gun safe.

Again. You got a nice gun and apparently a great deal. Can't beat that.
ED
Yer never too old
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That is a nice one! :D
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

That pic brought me back to when I was a kid walking fence rows and stubble fields in Indiana hunting quail and pheasent with my brothers. Hope you go get some good memories with it.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks guys - and this is my second one - the first one that I bought is a similar 20 guage - even lighter - the perfect dove gun. I've got a few other Rems too - an old model 11 that my dad gave me, an 870 Express poly and a m1100 poly - both 12 guages. I like the Rems for the stock and of course, function.

The wood on this one is very nice - here's a pic of the other side of the buttstock:

NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I know where you are coming from, the Flite Kings don't work me over
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Very nice shot gun...very nice wood too. Congrats... 8)
Semper Fi
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Your like my nieghbor , just can't pass on a nice 870. I'm learning all the different vintages from him , based on the stock and checkering. He just picked up an older one in 16 guage that was 90% -95% condition for $279 at a local shop. We were trying to figure out why it was lower than the 12 guages. It was a very clean gun. It had cut checkering different than yours . A pattern I haven't seen before, I think it is early 70's ,but i don't pay that close of attention to the 870's.

Well I have to go and pick my neightbor up now and go to a gun show. Maybe I can get him to part with some money. :D Last year at this show he bought a left handed 870 12 guage for $250.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thief! :mrgreen:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, it did have some wear... The previous owner had electropenciled his driver's license number on the mag tube and the bottom of the receiver and I found what I guess are his initials inside of the action! Guess he was worried that somebody might lift the gun. I usually put my name under the buttpad and leave it go at that. :?

I fixed all of that with a little judicious use of sandpaper, fine (can't remember the name - black paper - sometimes cloth) and oxpho blue. Can't even tell I did it. :)

It also had a few very light rust spots that came off with some light steelwool work. I bet it sat in a closet for many years and perhaps its owner passed... it was obvious that it hadn't been shot in some time.

Other than that, it has some dried oil in the action but this came off easily with a steel brush and break free.

The checkering on this is impressed - I think cut checkering is older than the 70's - probably the 60's or even 50's.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Looks like you got a good deal on a nice shotgun. I also write under the buttpad. What is it with the electro pencil people? We see many guns scribbled on with them around here.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

dr walker wrote:Looks like you got a good deal on a nice shotgun. I also write under the buttpad. What is it with the electro pencil people? We see many guns scribbled on with them around here.
Yeah, its not like it took me more than 30 minutes to erase all traces...

Unless you stamp the numbers/characters deeply into the metal its a waste of time.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

O.S.O.K. that is a nice Wingmaster, love the wood, congrats!
My favorite Wingmaster was passed down to me from my Granddad it is a 1957 Wingmaster Magnum 12 gage.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow - very nice! Is that a goose gun or what... :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I passed on one of these older guns new in box, or at least excellent condition in box for $175.00. I was buying a NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt from the guy and didn't think I should buy a shotgun too. The guy who offered it to me had just found it at a garage sale and was feeling guilty about buying it, so he offered it to me. I don't know that much about shotguns anyway. I did tell my brother who's an upland game nut, and shotgun appreciator about it a couple weeks later and gave him the guy's number. He was able to buy it for $200.00. It's a 12 gauge with 2 3/4" chambers and my brother seems to be happy with it.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I think the gun I saw was a semi automatic, so it's not quite the same as this one.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A good friend of mine hates the day he traded his wingmaster 20years ago and still mentions it! Only the other day he mentioned it again!

Nice find.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BigBoreWhore
Levergunner

Post by BigBoreWhore »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, I love Remington Wingmaster pump guns. And while BS'ing with my buddy at his gun shop, I see one on the rack...

12guage, 2 3/4", modified choke in good to vg condition, all original including the buttpad - $320.

The lowest I can find on gunbroker is $420 - with bids, so I feel pretty good about the price. They've gone up a bit - but then, so has everything else I guess.

Anywa, it came home with me - took it apart and cleaned it all up this afternoon:

I really like these older wingmasters - so light and they have enough drop in the stock so my face doesn't get whacked with each shot - which makes me shoot better :)
I've got one just like that in my shop, Nice clean early 12ga 30" full with awesome wood.
I hang it above the counter, Its so darn sexy!
Overkill, When is dead not DEAD enough!
AKA- Raffica=(Full Auto or Burst)
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

ya done good.

i love wingmasters.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I love the older Wingmasters. I have a 3" 12 that I bought back in the '60s. It cost a whopping 125 bucks. I also have a Lt 20 that is 1980 vintage, as well as multiple barrels for both guns. I just received a 26" VR bbl from Midway that has Remchokes so I can take the 12 Ga to the duck blind this year. I :D can't wait.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Now there's a great idea. Get another barrel for each with remchokes.

Hard to beat a good Wingmaster. Really, with one of these and a barrel with chokes, you can do it all - of course, a 3" chamber would be more versitile - like for goose or turkey hunting but I've got other's for those jobs :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Guess that I forgot the actual price of the 1969 Wingmaster. It was $135, and the LT 20 that followed 11 yrs later was $200. I still have the receipts in my guns file. :D

Here are the 870s and the extra barrels that go with 'em. The 3" Magnum 12 Ga at top wears a new 26" VR with Rem Chokes. It'll be in the blind this year, tossin' steel at the birds. The original 30" FC barrel is below it and a 26" IC below that. The LT20 also has the 28" MC and 26" IC, too. Both are great field guns. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Mike, that's a little scary :lol:

Wow - I have receipts but I'd have to dig to get em - not nearly as organized as you obviously are.

What are you a CPA? :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I most certainly AM NOT a CPA . Those old receipts have been in a file since I moved here in '74. It's a kinda disorganized organization, you might say. Some guns were paid cash for and have little handwritten notes that act as proof of sale and others have those newer long, drawn out DROS forms. :lol: