PRICE CHECK - Ruger single-six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

PRICE CHECK - Ruger single-six

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Is $325 too much for a Ruger single six in stainless with just 22lr cylinder and no 22 mag thans
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:price chek Ruger single-six

Post by O.S.O.K. »

No, not in my opinion - if its in good shape.

I have a blued one with both cylinders and the 22 mag cylinder is pretty useless if you ask me - ammo is expensive (comparitively), its loud and not as accurate as the 22 LR loads.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For not much more, you can get a new one with the 22 mag. cylinder.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

If it's an OTD price and it's in good shape then yes. The stainless NIB are around $390, and add about $25-35 for the combo.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Todd,

If the magnum cylinder is important to you then I'd suggest skipping it and finding one with both cylinders. The mag cylinder is part of the package after all.

If it's not important I'd suggest trying to talk the price down a bit. That's really not enough discount over the prices of a new one to interest me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: PRICE CHECK - Ruger single-six

Post by arjunky »

Todd Mayo wrote:Is $325 too much for a Ruger single six in stainless with just 22lr cylinder and no 22 mag thans
It's probably a little high, you should be able to get both cylinders for that, but if you only plan on shooting LR in it and you want it, go for it.

I think the Mag is worth it though if you plan on using it for anything other than plinking.

Rafter-7 gave me a Blued one last Christmas and mine loves the Mag cylinder with 50 grain Federal's, shoots aguila shorts pretty good too out of the LR. :D

Byron
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The barrel of the RSS is sized and adjusted for the 22 Mag shells. It is very accurate with the mag's. I have a 5 1/2" and it is the most accurate 22Lr handgun I own. It takes some time to find out what it likes to digest, but once you find the load they can be a tack driver.

I have won first place several time in CAS-SASS side Match competition. My RSS likes PMC Zapper solids. Aguila made it for PMC, it is available still under there brand. Several years ago I bought a Case (5000). I still have seven bricks. Since this is the only 22 of mine that like the Zappers, I have a lifetime supply.

The 22 mag cylinder likes the Winchester Supreme's, at $10.00 a box of 50. It does not get fed to often.

With-out that Mag cylinder, I would not go much over $275.00
I was at a Gun Show yesterday and there was a nice early model blued RSS for $325.00
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well. I must admit that I only tried a couple of mag loads in mine - and it is a 4 & 3/4" barrel which makes the muzzle blast more of an issue.

But I still personnaly don't have much use for the 22mag in a pistol of this type.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I had an old model Ruger ss/ both cylinders.
There are still people alive that will testify to me making 125 yard shots on running jackrabbits with the Mag.
It had a 1.5 power scope on it, thats pretty accurate, at least to me it is.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I use CCI in the Mag cyl and while they hit at a different POI, they "seem" as accurate as the LR cyl.......I just aim a bit low and a hair to the left, just like I would with a fixed sight.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For a pre-safety old model? Yes. For a new model, I agree with Joe - try to play up the missing cylinder and talk him down some more.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Don't know where you're located but here's a stainless one w/ both cylinders in Florida for $300

http://www.floridashootersnetwork.com/p ... 10&t=42842

22 mag cylinder is pretty useless if you ask me - ammo is expensive
HERESY!!!!

I picked up 1000rds of PMC from Sportsmanguide for $115 shipped a couple of months ago. That's less than $6.00 for a box of 50. Definitely comparable to the CCI Stinger /mini Mag/ Velocitor rounds price wise.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.