Browning 1895 .30-40 shooters, what's your favorite load.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Browning 1895 .30-40 shooters, what's your favorite load.

Post by Hobie »

I'd like to hear about your favorite loads.

Me? Well, I wanted a .30-40 to play with the 220 gr. bullets. It is much cheaper to do so in .308" than in .312" although the performance seems to be about the same. The only 180s I've tried are factory loads and these are what I hunted. Unfortunately, I didn't get out much and didn't get a deer.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 1895 .30-40 shooters, what's your favorite load.

Post by Charles »

I have a custom Mountain Mold that produces a 225 grain GC bullet with a .250 meplat. 50 grains of WC870 pushes it out of my 24 inch Brownchester at 1,950 fps. This is about the original military load but with a cast bullet. The accuracy is just fine for hunting at around 2.5 MOA. Lyman 311284 over the same powder charge delivers better accuracy at about 1.5 MOA, but lacks the bullet meplat. The Lyman bullets weighs in at 215 grains dressed.

These loads also do well in the Krag rifles. Sizing diameter varies with the individual rifle from .310 to .313. I have used both the Remington 9.5 and 9.5M and both do a good job.

My Brownchester has been restocked with AAA grade black walnut and Mic McPherson has done his magic including install a through bolt to attach the butt stock. It wears a set of Ashley sights.

I can't help you with loads for those dreadful little yellow thingies, but I have not sunk low enough to start shooting those awful things. They are an affront to the shooting Gods. :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Charles wrote:I can't help you with loads for those dreadful little yellow thingies, but I have not sunk low enough to start shooting those awful things. They are an affront to the shooting Gods. :mrgreen:
HAR! :lol: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Hey Hobie...my 30-40 Browning did very well with the Sierra 165gr spitzer over a charge of 41.7gr of IMR 4064. Used Remington brass and Remington 9 1/2 primers. It keeps the shots at about 2 inches all day long. Plenty accurate for deer and pig around here.

I tried the Sierra 180's last year but they were more ooomph than I needed for these little California blacktails. The 150's didnt do very well so the 165's seemed to be a good compromise.

It's been awhile but both the Remington and Winchester factory 180gr loads did fine. Just darned expensive.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Hobie, I simply shoot the Remiungton 180gr factory loads.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"My Brownchester has been restocked with AAA grade black walnut ......."

Charles, what became of the original stock? If you still have it and want to let it go, let me know. I'd use it for a Browning 92 carbine-to-rifle project.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Malamute

I sold the stock set on ebay.