OT - Cowboy boots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aries
Levergunner

OT - Cowboy boots

Post by Aries »

Of the different brands available today, Tony Lama, Olathe, Lucchese, Justin, which maker of cowboy boots do you think is best?
PawPaw
Levergunner

Re: Cowboy boots

Post by PawPaw »

Not to make light of your query, but the answer is the one that fits you best. I've worn a bunch of cowboy boots over the years, both work boots and dress-up, from all the major makers and a few of the custom boot makers.

I had a pair of Justin elkhide boots that I wore for many years, until there was nothing left to sew new soles on. They wore like iron and fitted like bedroom slippers.

Right now my dress boots are a pair of Tony Llama's. After about six hours my feet start to hurt in them. I've had Tony Llama's that I could wear for 14 hour days, six days per week.

Try 'em on before you buy them. If they don't feel right, put them back on the shelf. Boot fit is so very individual that it's hard to make recommendations. Then too, the heel style and size has as much to do with comfort as any other part of the boot.

Try 'em on and get the ones that suit you best.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

All the ones you listed are good boots.I have owned some of each. Lucchese has a reputation for better line of boots in most circles.
"That'll Be The Day"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Cowboy boots

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome. great question, I have been looking for some new boots recently.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I will preface this with a quote from my dad about my wide feet. "It takes a bigger foundation for a courthouse than an outhouse."

For me I have found that the Justin Roper fits like a glove. I wore them for work boots years. And when it comes to dress boots I have a hard time finding any thing that looks as good and is more comfortable than Nocona Boots.

But some like blonds some like red heads, Just get out and try a few different boots on. BTW wear a thick pair of socks when you are trying on boots, that way no matter the socks that you wear in the future your foot will slip right in.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

I don't know if they are made any more but I have bought two pair of Dan Post elk skin boots. Excellent cowboy boot.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I had a pair of Nacona wellington style boots for about 15 years, used them very hard, and they were excellent boots. I don't know how Nacona's are now. A bunch of the Justin boots are now made in China so beware and look carefully at the label. Couldn't believe it when I saw it. :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I just asked this same question (well almost - it was more geared toward work boots) in a post not more than a month ago. I looked real hard at Red Wings and Justin's. What I ended up purchasing was the Cabela's brand of all leather wellington's with the gore-tex liner. I was at the PA Cabela's and used a gift Cert. and some points to purchase these. If these did not come home with me that day - I would have bought a pair of Red Wings - The Justin's that the local Tractor Supply carry were also very nice.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

An old west Texas cowboy once told me that a pair of Luchese boots were the second nicest thing you would ever slip in to. I agree with others here in that you need to find boots that fit your feet and every bootmaker has their own style of "lasts" that determine the shape of the arch. I have found though that Luchese's tend to fit more people well and they seem to shape to your feet better that others because of the way the attach the sole and heel. You did not specify wether you were looking for dress, work boots and if they were for walking or riding?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Aries
Levergunner

Post by Aries »

Actually, I'd been looking at some of the Olathe brand buckaroo style working ranch boots in mule hide. Never owned any of that brand before though.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Aries wrote:Of the different brands available today, Tony Lama, Olathe, Lucchese, Justin, which maker of cowboy boots do you think is best?
Justin.
I have had this pair since the early nineties.
Do to the wife’s love of line dancing; I have endured many miles in these boots.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

It really depends on what your going to do with them but for me, I bought a pair of Honcho boots from El Paso that I use for riding and roping and they are the most comfortable boots that I have ever had on my feet and they are still made like the old ones.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Right now I have a pair of Nocona work boots and a pair Dan Post and Lucchese for church. At seventy I have worn boots all my life and about every brand made, most were good boots if you keep them clean and oiled or polished. What you want them for has a lot to do with your choice.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As nentioned above, the "Last" is the foundation of the boot, it determines the height, width & positioning of the arch; this determins how well the boot feels during a long day of wear, even if all the other terms of fit are met. There really isn't any way to tell if a particular boot will fit and feel good at the end of the day without trying it on. I can wear any Tony Llama boot wih pegged soles; almost any Nocona in simil;ar styles (which ain't any great surprise as Tony L. worked for Mr. Nocona before branchin' out with his own brand or vice versa). The only style Justin I can wear is their crepe soled Wellington.

Olathes are made with a stout as an ox sole, with little give & flex as compared to TL or other pegged typed soles. I findf them as heavy as loggers boots, but some like that and they have a reputation as long-lasting to boot.

Personally, although I've had some good fitting and wearing boots by Dan Post, since their take over by Acme, I think their boots aren't as good as they once were.

I also can't find it within me to recommend the "Texas" brand boot, even with their bargain basement prices.

Austin-Hall makes a well-fitting boot, but I don't care for their leathers; my one pair just didn't hold up to cowboyin' as some off-the-shelf brands, which was a disappointment.

The best boots I've spent money on were the two pair of Paul Bonds I own. He builds a "Cowboy Work Boot" on a generic last outta tough waxed mulehide, calf uppers and extra-thick soles that's grand. But @ $500/pr, they'd better be! Mine were $385 when I bought them 12 years ago; been resoled twice and as comfortable as mocassins. Liked 'em so much I now have a pair of custom boots that're worth every $ the wife paid.

But... I still recommend trying on any maker's boot before buying; in fact, the more different styles of each maker you can try on, the better off you'll be.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Justins fits my long, narrow foot best.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm finally about to wear out a pair of James Leddy custom boots (he was a relative of THE Leddy folks) after wearing them every day as a teacher for eight years. They're too expensive to do that again ($800 :shock: ).

I use Tony Lama boots for Sunday and Olathe buckaroos to ride
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Whites packers for riding and hunting they build the boot to fit your foot. danny
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Another good one I believe is Wilson from Montana.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

If you want custom made boots, try http://www.albertaboot.com/
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Just to be different I'll toss out an "oddball" brand. http://www.ariat.com I picked up a pair of "ropers" back in '06 and in February of this year I picked up a more traditional style. They are some of the most comfortable footwear of any kind I've ever worn. They're a non-traditional type in that the sole and arch support, etc are made from modern materials instead of leather and steel. The story I heard is that the folks who make them used to work for Nike (or another big athletic shoe company) and brought their knowledge of fitting feet with modern technology with them. And a big plus for me is that they have wide widths. Justins and Noconas and what not tend to be very narrow and my foot simply does not fit in them. Plus I've other issues when it comes to fitting any kind of footwear and they work great. I plan to pick up another pair (or three) the next chance I get. They wear like iron and are comfortable as well. Good boots for daily wear.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I don't think there is an answer to your question. Each maker uses their own "last" and therefore a person needs to find a maker whose boots feel good and wear well for them. You will find each maker has a following, who will swear their boots are best. Well, they are best for them, but not necessarily for everybody else.

The same is true for bench/shop/hand made boots as well. They each use a different last. In terms of overall quality (worksmanship) they are pretty much equal with my vote going to M.L. Leady... bring your checkbook or credit card with you!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The best pair of cowboy boots I ever owned, was a pair of Nacona Elephant hide boots. I have owned them for over 20 years, and I have put several soles on them, but I have never polished them, I never had to, and they are still good looking enough to wear with a suit or bluejeans.

But, I have had good boots by several makers, I used to like Dan Posts boots, pretty good. Frankly, as I am getting older, I have a harder time finding a pair of cowboy boots that are really confortable, for a long day. I think the Red Wing work boots I have worn for many years of hard work have maybe caused my feet to be less adaptable to Cowboy boots, anymore.

But one thing is for sure, I have never seen a tougher pair of cowboy boots then those made out of elephant hide.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I was in the local boot store a few months back, Picked up a pair of the uggggggg ly ones I've ever seen . Inside is said MADE IN CHINA .......I never even looked at the brand ....... Be aware . ............MUTT
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I have several pair of Justins and Tonys, but my most recent pair (birthday pres) are Canadian made Boulets, very fine boots. The shop where these came from used to handle Olathes until they became Chinese manufactured.
Happy Trails!
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

My wife bought me a pair of Rios of Mercedes elephant skin boots almost twenty years ago. I have had them resoled at least 5-7 times and they still are in excellent shape. My feet have swelled over the years and they don't fit so great anymore, but the boots themselves have held up great.

http://www.riosofmercedesboots.com/
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

...used to handle Olathes until they became Chinese manufactured.
I bought my Olathe boots through a bootshop in San Antonio. Olathe boots are currently handmade in Mercedes, Texas by the Rios of Mercedes Boot comapany.
Aries
Levergunner

Post by Aries »

These are some of the Olathe boots I've been interested in, the tall tops with riding heels and mule hide.....
http://www.olatheboots.com/boots/instockboots/6720b.jpg
Also in black.......
http://www.olatheboots.com/boots/instockboots/6961b.jpg
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've wore a pair of Iguana Noconas for 16 years, been rebuilt twice, and I well may get them overhauled again because they are so comfortable. Just make sure they slip on easy, don't get a pair with too tight of instep, your feet get sore pretty fast if there's some tight spots.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Aries, that's what's on my feet right now. I had some dark brown leather dye, so mine are a bit darker brown. I like 'em.
Last edited by 20cows on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

I agree with White's cowboy Packer. Because they lace up they prevent ankle twists when mounting-dismounting from a horse or truck, they are more useful than a slip-on. They will make a custom last to fit your foot, but they have so many already that one is likely going to match your measurements.

Be prepared to pay $416.00 though, as they are handmade for your measurement. That price isn't as high as it appears, because White's Boots can be rebuilt for $150-$175. I have a pair of the Original Smoke Jumper boot that is stamped inside with a build date of 1985, they were rebuilt last in 2003 and still going strong. I have other pairs a bit newer - they never wear out really. Not to shill for White's, but I was a Park Ranger for 32 years and they were the only boots that kept me going upright. Besides, I need custom boots to fit my large wide feet, and the others cost $750 to $7,000.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

EarthWalkers, :wink:

http://www.earthwalkers.biz

These are the most confortable boots you can put on your feet.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Aries
Levergunner

Post by Aries »

I've heard about Earthwalkers being comfortable. And speaking of White's packers, are they better than Chippewas? I have a pair of black Chippewa laceup packers with steel toes. Also, what about riding a horse? I've read that a boot should be able to slip off easily if the foot gets hung up in the stirrup and the rider is dragged. Is that true or not so true?
These are the Chippewa Packers that I have......
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

20cows wrote:
...used to handle Olathes until they became Chinese manufactured.
I bought my Olathe boots through a bootshop in San Antonio. Olathe boots are currently handmade in Mercedes, Texas by the Rios of Mercedes Boot comapany.
20 COWS:

I hope you're right. They used to be my favorite boot years ago. Use to buy them in a boot repair shop in Baker, Oregon.

Roundup
Happy Trails!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

From Olathe Boot Company's website (http://www.olatheboots.com/olathe_boot_background.htm)

"In 2001, production was moved to Mercedes, Texas near where many of those early cattle drives began. Olathe Boots are now made entirely in Mercedes, Texas, where cowboy boots have been made for over 100 years. Olathe Boot Company uses only top quality material and as much hand work as possible.

Quality will NEVER be sacrificed for quantity. Each pair is made with as much care as the first pair was over a century ago."

I've had mine not quite a year.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Earthwalker boots are custom made, Steffon makes a mold of your feet. The last is custom fit to your foot, he will only build a boot that fits to your foot. Waiting time is usually 4-6 months.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have a pair of Olathes like the top one just pictured by Aries. A high quality boot. I like'em for riding, but for walking any distance forget it. You'll soon be acquainted with how a woman feels walking in high heels. It puts most of your weight on the front balls of your feet. Plus, the tops are really tall and will hit the back of your legs when you're seated.
Old Law Dawg
Aries
Levergunner

Post by Aries »

kimwcook wrote:I have a pair of Olathes like the top one just pictured by Aries. A high quality boot. I like'em for riding, but for walking any distance forget it. You'll soon be acquainted with how a woman feels walking in high heels. It puts most of your weight on the front balls of your feet. Plus, the tops are really tall and will hit the back of your legs when you're seated.
Yesterday, I wore a pair of cheap Laredo tall top boots with undershot riding heels which I haven't worn in a long time and after I got home from walking around in them during the day, my right leg just below the knee felt as if it had been sprained or twisted. Still hurts a bit today if I turn my leg a certain way when walking. Actually, I may buy a new pair of Tony Lamas with cushion comfort insoles like my others I've had for awhile......
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Pull on boots are for trucks and town laceup boots are for riding and hunting. Any boot can hang up in a stirrup, thats why I carry a belly gun when I ride. Get whites $390 or get hathorns packer $285, the other laceup boot companys dont touch them for comfort, there could be one Iam not aware of. danny
http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Boots.php
http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Hathorn_Boots.php
Aries
Levergunner

Post by Aries »

I admit that I still like the look of the Olathe boots and I'm not sure if Tony Lama boots are the same quality as they once were.