Reloader 7 users....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Reloader 7 users....

Post by Ray Newman »

Finished loading up some .35 Remington rounds today w/ Reloader 7.

Went looking thru the Lyman #48 Manual for something else & came across this about Reloader 7 (p. 67) :

"It has mix of red, yellow and blue identifying granulations."

The container that I opened is about 6 months old, but I can't see any colours in the powder. Anyone else notice this?

I looked on the powder container & Alliant Powder web page for Reloader 7, inc. the MSDS, but couldn't find anything about colours in the powder granules..
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloader 7 users....

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Older RE7 is much different than the new stuff. I was using some from an old brown labled bottle (Herculese) (sp?) and it did have color grains in it. The newer Alliant (yellow lable) does not and the loads are not the same. Speer #14 calls for 3 more grains max. in the .444 load I shoot.
After having ignition problems with RE7 in the .444 and starting loads,I got a new can and followed the latest data. No more problems and accuracy and velocity are just great. The old stuff is in the garden!!
:D
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

I use a lot of Reloader 7 in my 30-30 and have never noticed any colors.
Maybe I should pay closer attention.

Bob A
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Ray, I just went and looked at my new jug of RE7. It is a tubular powder of finer grain and has a yellow cast to it like Varget. I cant tell if the yellow is a tagant or the color of some of the grains. Not bright yellow but just a wellowish cast.

The old RE7 was a courser grained (not tubular but more like 2400) powder of a dark grey color. Hope this helps. :D
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: thanks for posting your observations. The difference between Lyman's #48 powder description & the lack of "colour" in the powder made me stop & think twice....

I wonder if the new Lyman #49 has the same information??
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

One of my favorite .45-70 loads is 40gr of RL7 under a 400gr cast... Never noticed the colors you mention.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!