Ch/4D die Company

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Ch/4D die Company

Post by Gun Smith »

I'm not sure if all of you are aware of this company. I purchased dies from them as far back as 1955. I recently purchased two sets from them in 38/72 and 35 Winchester calibers. They have over a thousand different die sets available. About the only reasonably priced place I've found for some my obsolete calibers. Their dies work well for me and appear of good quality. Find them at CH/4D on the web.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Yep. Only as a last resort though.
Slow is just slow.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I've bought a few dies from CH4D over the years.
They are great to deal with. If they don't have it, they will make it.
Great customer service, fast and friendly.
I just bought a set of 8x58RD dies from them and it was about the same as what RCBS charges and no problem to get an extra, oversized expander ball.
They also have expander dies for cast bullets in any size that you want.

Jack
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I agree. I have used their dies for everything from 45-75 to 38-40, and have always had good success with them. Great folks to deal with and excellent dies. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I would never spend another dime with them.

My first set of .500 Linebaugh dies came from them and they were total garbage.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Scott what do you use for Kate? I need to get some and what better information than to ask someone who is using a Shiloh and using it very well. Or combination of same.
Old Law Dawg
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I hate to hijack the thread.

My way uses a through powder die from Lee (to expand), a compression die from Buffalo Arms, and a taper crimp die from Lyman.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I apologize for hijacking the thread if it's taken that way. I'm sorry. Didn't mean to. Sometimes my forum etiquette is lacking. Thanks Scott.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've only purchased one set, the .45-60 WCF dies I first got my Chaparral Arms Winchester 1876 clone (which, when doing research on loads, is how I found this forum! :D ). I found that they did not consistently seat the bullets. Then Lee Precision offered this caliber, and I purchased that set right away - for half the cost. They work much better.

Again, I only have the one set to go with, so my sample isn't large enough to make a case one way or the other. I like the idea of someone offering dies for unusual calibers at a price most can afford.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

No complaints from me. Great people, great product, and less than half the price of RCBS (whom I will never do business with again)

Ed
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I've only purchased one set, the .45-60 WCF dies I first got my Chaparral Arms Winchester 1876 clone (which, when doing research on loads, is how I found this forum! :D ). I found that they did not consistently seat the bullets. Then Lee Precision offered this caliber, and I purchased that set right away - for half the cost. They work much better.

Again, I only have the one set to go with, so my sample isn't large enough to make a case one way or the other. I like the idea of someone offering dies for unusual calibers at a price most can afford.
My experience is similar to yours Kid. I'm loading the 40-60WCF. The CH dies worked, I made good ammo with them, but I like the Lees much better.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've seen and used or helped others set up these dies. They've been around a while. I thought they were pretty good for function but they don't have the finish the RCBS and Redding dies have. Now when you get into custom dies or dies for the odd stuff you might have to go to them.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson