Win 1895 Musket question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Win 1895 Musket question

Post by awp101 »

I have a line on one in 7.62x54R. According to the Leverguns article they were made in 1915-16 but the seller of this one claims it was made in 1903.

Any ideas?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win 1895 Musket question

Post by airedaleman »

Most unlikely. The 7.62X54R Muskets were made under a contract with the the Czarist government of Russia during World War I.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The majority, but not all 7.62's, will have clip guides. So it is possible that this could be an original 7.62. Second, it is possible a 1907 gun was rebarrelled to 7.62, although unlikely. The serial number can't be any higher than #57351 if it is a 1907 production. 1915-17 would be no lower than #72083. 1915/16 is where the Russian contract (239,816 guns), and regular calibers, pushed production to over 305,000 guns for the year.
M.95's are one of my favorite Winchester models. I'm looking for a 7.62 for my collection.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have heard that some of the first guns in the contract used older receivers. Still, the Russians had some pretty strict inspectors even in the stress of war. I wouldn't assign any premium to the supposed date of mfg and frankly would use that to drive the price down. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

A left over receiver is plausible. Who knows, the '95 was not the biggest seller but that's a lot of years to be sitting around.
I've also read that the Russian inspectors were real rats. I remember reading somewhere that one of the Russians inspectors working at the Remington plant met with an unfortunate "accident".

Nothing suprises me with this stuff though. This one has a Spainish Loyalist Cartouche on the stock. They sure got around!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I can remember when those Russian contract 1895 muskets were offered for as little as $29.95 and sat around totally unwanted. More than a few importers had them advertized at very low prices. I also passed on them. At that time, which was in the mid-'60s, a good 1886 Winchester could be had for less than a hundred bucks, so it's all relative. :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks everyone! :mrgreen:

I haven't seen it, I ran across it online but it's in a shop local to me. I can't tell from the pics if it has been refinished. What I can see looks nice but a good photo can do that. I may wait until after Tulsa to make a decision. With a price north of $2500 I don't think it'll go anywhere anytime soon. If it does, then it wasn't meant to be. :wink:

I do have some concerns though. All my 54R is mil-surp so that means taking it down and cleaning thoroughly after each outing. Is it anything like taking down a Win 94?
2ndovc wrote:A left over receiver is plausible. Who knows, the '95 was not the biggest seller but that's a lot of years to be sitting around.
I've also read that the Russian inspectors were real rats. I remember reading somewhere that one of the Russians inspectors working at the Remington plant met with an unfortunate "accident".

Nothing suprises me with this stuff though. This one has a Spainish Loyalist Cartouche on the stock. They sure got around!

jb 8)
Nice! And an SVT to boot! I had a "SA" marked SVT several years ago. Had a couple of minor issues and I sold it rather than fool with it. May have to replace it... :wink:

The cartouche doesn't surprise me a bit. Until this July I had a Spanish Civil War 91/30. Was brought in during the 60s and the import marking was simply a "Made in USSR" stamp. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Taking apart a '95 is an excersize in frustration!

A friend of mine did it once while taking photos along the way and still took a month to get it back together.

I only shoot handloads in mine( and the SVT). Hornady 174 gr .303 Brit. bullets and a good charge of 4895.
AS the Old Man would say " Kicks like a Moscow Mule" :D 10-15 rounds and I have to set her down. But I can shoot my M38 Mosin all day.

She's a pretty good shooter but n match for my other 95s.

lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

I shoot mil-surp in mine. Never taken it apart.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:10-15 rounds and I have to set her down. But I can shoot my M38 Mosin all day.
When I want to be abused at the range, I bring out the M44. :mrgreen: I even charged the steel plates I left standing with the bayonet extended during an informal match... :lol:

lozen, don't you know that corrosive ammo will turn your weapon into something resembling a fencepost if the salts aren't neutralized within 30 seconds of firing the last round? :shock:

:mrgreen:

Actually I have no problem with firing corrosive ammo in anything, be it a bolt action or gaspipe. I just know tearing down a 94 was an exercise in frustration for me and I wondered if the 95 was as bad or worse. :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Got a chance to look at it today.

SN 36XXX (or 39, left my glasses in the truck :roll: ) under the lever which does date to sometime in 1903, no Cryllic markings, if it was refinished a durn good job was done since the letters don't appear shallow or worn, barrel is marked 7.62mm (IIRC), and it looks like the stripper clip guide is there but not having seen one I'm kind of guessing on that part.

The store is theorizing someone ordered it that way but my guess is that it was more than likely rebarreled. What I can't figure out in either scenario is why would someone order a 54R rifle in 1903 since it probably would have been unheard of in most parts of this country or why would someone rebarrel since it wasn't until the 1980s or so that 54R started appearing in this country in any meaningful quantities?

Unless someone pulled a fast one at sometime in the rifle's past by rebarreling, putting the correct musket forend on it and passing it off as a "rare" rifle and the store didn't do their full research before buying it and asking over $2500 for it?

I'm certainly stumped... :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

awp101 wrote:
2ndovc wrote:

lozen, don't you know that corrosive ammo will turn your weapon into something resembling a fencepost if the salts aren't neutralized within 30 seconds of firing the last round? :shock:
Yea, I clean the bore and chamber. Mines not a valuable gun. It used to be a musket, but now it's a carbine. If I ever get a musket, and I probably will, I'll take better care of it.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

$2500 is really steep! Especiallly if it's of questionable origin.

I've seen a couple recently for 15-1800 and pretty decent shape.

Keep lookin'

jb 8)

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

awp101, The clip guides are shaped like inverted L's and are fastened on each side ,externally, at the rear of the receiver. They are about 1/8" thick. They load the rounds differently than is the common practice. The correct way to load a M.95 is to press the round vertically into the action foward of the retainer and roll it down onto the follower (first round) and continuing with each additional round.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks for the confirmation that I should pass...after holding it, I just wasn't enamored with it after all.

But that's OK, I need to work on being happy with what I have and start putting the "fun fund" to use getting the VW up and ready. :D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

awp101 wrote:Thanks for the confirmation that I should pass...after holding it, I just wasn't enamored with it after all.

But that's OK, I need to work on being happy with what I have and start putting the "fun fund" to use getting the VW up and ready. :D
What manner of VW needs attention?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

airedaleman wrote:What manner of VW needs attention?
71 Flat Windshield Super:

Needs brakes, the electrical redone, the interior redone, paint, minor body work (fender dents mainly), the 1600 dual port runs but could stand a rebuild, shifter and linkage need to be rebuilt/replaced new tires, new weather stripping and seals, I'd like to convert the rear windows to pop-outs and the fronts to one piece ventless units, install a short throw shift kit... :lol:

I may take the 1600 to a 1776 if there's no machine work needed and I can stomach the cost. What I'd REALLY like to do is punch it out to a 1915 but there's not a chance I can justify it even to myself, a firm believer in "There's no replacement for displacement.". :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at