Question for those who have been to the big Tulsa show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Question for those who have been to the big Tulsa show

Post by awp101 »

I know this is a huge show and I'll be making my first trip this year.

Does the show bring out the collectors and collector's prices for everything or is it like any other show only bigger?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Question for those who have been to the big Tulsa show

Post by Sixgun »

I have never been there but a very good friend of mine sets up his Ruger collection for display there. He tells me of all kinds of good buys he has made there over the years but...........knowledge is everything. I imagine the guns that we all know about (Winchester 1894's, S&W 29's, SA Rugers, etc.) will bring "standard prices". Its the rare variations of guns that the majority of people do not know about are the "steals".-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have been going to that show for many years. In the last few years I usually go in the spring and the fall.

Its the biggest gunshow in the world, a far as I know. You really need two days to see it all if you stop very often, for any length of time. We usually just go on the last day. With only one day, you have to keep a steady walk, from open to close just to get down all of the rows of tables, of course I will stop often for a few seconds to a minute or two to look at or handle a particular gun or whatever. Now, if I really get serious about a gun deal, then of course it might take me a while.

I usually keep a notebook and write down the location of items I am interested in, if I don't buy something on the spot. This saves me money in the long run, because I will often talk myself out of going back to look at something again.

There's all kinds of guns there, but mostly I see a lot of old and or collector's guns, but about anything can be found, if you look hard and long enough, or get lucky. I have found lots of pretty good deals over the years, and I have also gotten burnt on more then one deal. Tulsa is also a dumping ground for wore out, broken, or otherwise defective guns, so buyer beware.

At anyrate, cash is king, and you better be wearing a darned good pair of walking shoes.

P.S. if you are looking for fine old Winchesters, or Colts, the bottom floor, (it's a split level building), is the place to start, which will be the east half of the building. However, the upper floor has a little of everything sprinkled out through out. Be there eairly.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

My friend & I attended Tulsa last year. If you go plan to spend the whole weekend & take
along a comfortable pair of shoes. We took a different section of the show & we would meet
about every hour & compare notes of what we had seen(cell phones are too expensive to &
walkie-talkies won't work there we tried it) If you are looking for a good collector's piece
or something specific chances are you will find it in Tulsa. My biggest beef about Tulsa
is the tables are getting expensive(I heard $130.00) but I thought the admission of $10.00
was reasonable. I walked away with a nice deluxe 1895 Marlin that I traded in to.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks all!

Not looking for any collectors items, just fair deals. I'll have a list of "wants" with me to TRY and stay focused... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

I've been to their last 3 shows and have found the prices to be more reasonable than what can be found in Minnesota, especially for guns in good, solid condition that you would USE versus collect.

I'm planning on going again this November!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Lastmohecken wrote:
I usually keep a notebook and write down the location of items I am interested in, if I don't buy something on the spot. This saves me money in the long run, because I will often talk myself out of going back to look at something again.
+1000. Went there once, found something nice but decided to walk around a bit then forgot where it was. Never found it.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

awp101 wrote: . . . Does the show bring out the collectors and collector's prices for everything or is it like any other show only bigger?
Yes.

Noah :mrgreen:
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Definitely bring the notebook. I have forgotten many things and couldn't find them again even though I thought the items were only an isle or two away. Bring a borelight also. Add good walking shoes. You can see it in one day, but you will have to hoof it to see it all. Two days is better. Bring CASH and be careful. If the guy thinks its rare, it will be $$$, but sometimes you can find a buy. Last show , I picked up a H&R Shikari in 44mag, a 38-55 cowboy Marlin and a 375Win Hi-wall. Wasn't planning on it, but the prices were good and I had sold some stuff , to be able to afford them. Bargains are there, and way overpriced stuff is also there. I carry a fanny pack to carry all the small stuff in, along with some snacks, as the food and drinks are expensive and not that good. A few Tylenol/aleve work for me, so my feed don't hurt so much

I plan on being there in November! Nothing really to get, might take a few things to sell, but may be one of the last times I make it there, so I'M GOING.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)