Winchester 1886 Deluxe for Hunting???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Timberline
Levergunner

Winchester 1886 Deluxe for Hunting???

Post by Timberline »

I keep looking at one of these at my local gun shop. The model they have in stock is 45-70 with a 26-inch half octagon/half round barrel. It’s a big, beefy gun that on my postal scale weighs exactly 9 lbs. 12 oz.

It balances well (although it’s certainly no lightweight) and it looks and feels great. I’m trying to decide whether or not to buy it.

I should add that I’m primarily interested in using this 45-70 for western big-game HUNTING (mule deer, antelope and elk). It would, I think, be loads of fun to carry this rifle in the field and use it for big game. It certainly would be a departure from my usual scoped bolt-action rifles, and I imagine it would require a whole new mindset. But the prospects seem very intriguing.

Three QUESTIONS for you experienced big-bore lever shooters. I’ve hunted forever, but I’m new to this.

1. Do any of you have any shooting and/or hunting experience with this particular big bore lever-action rifle or the similar, modern standard-grade 45-70 versions previously offered by Winchester/Browning. Particularly, what might I expend in the way of accuracy with quality factory ammunition?

2. What about the curved metal butt plate? It looks very classic, but how about standard 45-70 recoil with that butt plate given this rifle’s weight?

3. Am I nuts contemplating hunting with a classic lever-action rifle that is this heavy - 9 lbs. 12 oz. Other models, specifically the Winchester 1886 Extra Light and the many Marlin versions are certainly lighter in physical weight. I do like the look of this big, classic Winchester. But will I curse its weight?

You thoughts on these issues would be very much appreciated. You guys look like you’re having too much fun.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 1886 Deluxe for Hunting???

Post by Old Ironsights »

Can you afford it? If yes, buy it.

I have a Davidson's 1886 TD in matt Blue, full octagon. Heavier than a mule but has no recoil to speak of.

The classic crescent buttplate makes "shouldering" (really biceping) much easier. Again, heavy gun, no significant recoil.

Lots of people like the EL. I might like to get an EL front-end some day, especially if I'm planning on a lot of hiking. But remember... the M1 Garand varies between 9.5 lb (4.31 kg) and 10.2 lb (4.63 kg). You aren't wimpier than a WWII grunt are you? :wink:

If you've got a good price, buy it. You may want to do some internal tweaks (1/2 cock etc.) but you won't be sorry.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That's a heavy gun for a long hike.

Minute of elk at 150 easy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

If you can afford it, you obviously want it, buy it. I love my 45-90.
Old Law Dawg
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I bought one of the Winchester 1886 EL's. I bought the high grade because the wood was fantastic, and I got a great price. The first thing I did was have the wood stripped and put an oil finish on the rifle. I added a peep sight and started hunting with it. It is one of my favorite rifles.

IMO the crescent pad does hurt a little, but there are too many ways to get around that.

The rifles are a little heavy, but what the heck. Carry a Sharp's around for a few days before you go in the mountains, then the 86 will feel like a feather weight.

How much do they want for it?? Tom.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Welcome to the forum! You can search my posts and see for yourself that I have dragged an 1886 Extra Light High Grade all over the world. I'm dealing with a 22" round tapered barrel and 7.5 pounds. I have a scope on it half the time so that adds another 1.2 pounds.
As far as the rifle you're looking at being a deluxe, I thought about that when I bought the High Grade instead of standard. First off I like the looks of the rifle and appreciate it for the work that went into it. Second, it is to shoot and hunt so it will never remain in new condition. I'm not considering any factors regarding resale value or investment potential.

As far as accuracy, I can get 1" groups consistently shooting 100 yards off the bench with the scope on. Grizzly Cartridge offers accurizing, where they develop a load for your rifle that is most accurate and you continue to purchase that cartridge from them or load your own. That's where the 1" groups come from. The worst groups I have ever had shooting the same way with other factory ammo was just shy of 3" (That's Federal's 300gr load in my rifle). The Winchester 300gr Nosler Partition runs 2.25" average. Overall, you can expect very good accuracy and you should experiment a little to find the most accurate load that will perform as you desire.

My gun has a flat butt plate to which I added a Kick Eez pad. If you don't like your curved butt plate and are willing to alter the gun, putting a shotgun butt pad on it is no problem. I cannot comment much about the recoil with the curved butt. I have shot CRS' rifle that is configured like the one you like. With 500 gr cast loads it kicked no worse than my lighter version of the same rifle.

I personally cannot lug the 10 pound rifle around much. If you were hunting safari style, that is spotting from the truck and making short stalks, it wouldn't be a problem. Ditto hunting from a blind where you could drive close and unload your gear. To walk for hours and miles I would be cursing the weight factor.

Best of luck with whatever your decision may be.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Timberline,
9lbs 12oz empty? Now load the mag tube.

Q1. I have shot 1000+ rounds through my takedown, most off the bench. Never shot factory ammo. I find mild loads the most accurate. 405grn bullets, lead or remingtons, over 34.5grn of IMR 4198, and 300 hp rems over a full load of AA2200. Both loads very accurate.

Q2.No problem with recoil shooting from bench, unless using max loads. Shot standing up, much more comfortable with the heavier loads. Butt plate not a problem.

Q3. I would not want to carry my rifle around all day. An hour with a sling maybe.

If you are young and/or fit and used to hiking, buy it.
Second thoughts. Just buy it anyway. Its a nice piece of work, and it will satisfy your desire.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

P.M. sent. 1886.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i think you will enjoy it very much!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have one. It is a delux takedown model. I certainly plan on taking it hunting this year. It is a heavy piece, but I put some sling swivels on it and it is fine. The but plate can be stout. no problem with most factory loads. Stout high pressure loads give a good jolt but nothing you can't handle for hunting purposes. I shoot it off the bench quite a bit too. It like the Hornady Leverevolution ammo too, good for hunting out west.

Here is my USRAC 1886, octagon barrel, 26", .45-70.

Do it. Grab it before they are not around anymore.