Silhouette Class rule change

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Silhouette Class rule change

Post by El Chivo »

I just saw the latest NRA rule book for Cowboy Leveraction Silhouette, and noticed they have changed the rules for scoring/class.

Now it only takes a score of 29 to be AAA, it used to be 31. Master is 35, not 37.

I still need to qualify for AAA in long range, this will make it easier.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Silhouette Class rule change

Post by jdad »

I just compared my 2007 vs the 2008 book. I can't believe I didn't notice it until now.

That rule must have taken effect on 1/1/08, with the printing of the new classification book.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

There is also a new ruling for the 200 meter Lever Action matches, the rams must now be set "light". Here is the ruling:

"4.2 Target Setting (Cowboy Lever Action Only) - To ensure that full-size rams will be knocked down with reasonable loads, they should be set so that the center of gravity works through a plane intersecting the stands approximately 1 1/4" forward of the rear edge. This can be accomplished by experimentally moving the target to the rear until it topples, and then moving it forward 1". Stands can be designed to incorporate stops to facilitate setting the targets at the proper topple point. Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action rifles and Smallbore Cowboy rifles are to be set full-foot and flush with the backs of their stands."
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yes, I'm glad about the rule change. I was already AAA but barely shooting my class, usually between AA/AAA. I know many shooters (most at state championships & Regionals) who were easily Masters but continued to "sandbag" to stay in AAA. In fact, I know one guy who is very decent shot and stays in "A" class just so he can win at the Regionals & State Champs. ------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The new ram rule was changed so that a 150gr 30-30, fired from a 20" barrel, would knock them down. I had switched to 170gr bullets because I had too many "splats", with the old rules.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jdad wrote:The new ram rule was changed so that a 150gr 30-30, fired from a 20" barrel, would knock them down. I had switched to 170gr bullets because I had too many "splats", with the old rules.
We have been using that rule in Yuma for quite some time, as we shoot pistol silhoutte side-by-side with Lever Action. Guess what, you will still get some splats!!! :lol: :lol: Keep on keepin' on with the 170's.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I moved up to AAA in PCLA & CLA before firing a shot this year. This was based on the 2 highest scores posted in my last match book. It took a rule change to accomplish what I had been unable to do. As I grow older it should be easy to remember that I'm AAA with the three leverguns, all 4 NRA Hunter Pistol guns and, if I ever shoot IHMSA again, AAA in all the standing classes I shoot except Field Pistol where I am International with the scoped gun.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

I've never had any problems knocking over the rams with my 30-30 150's. That was last year, this year I'm shooting the 25-35 and the 117's haven't missed a ram yet. Maybe I'm just lucky 8) .
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore