'One gun and done...'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

'One gun and done...'

Post by AJMD429 »

...or maybe not just one....but he makes an argument for FEW vs more...

https://youtu.be/IX-G8BQUs3A?si=80V8z7a4NeYfemRr

...I hate this guy... :lol:

But he is right.

Now I realize that for 'fun' it is fine to 'collect' a bunch of whatever, but if the goal is to survive/protect/hunt, you really just need a FEW, that you have shot A LOT...

1 a full size handgun
2 a most-things rifle
3 a most-things shotgun
4 a rimfire rifle or pistol

After that maybe

5 a rifle for other things
- bigger game - if you live in Alaska or whatever
- farther targets - if you live in Wyoming or whatever
- nighttime use - if you live where most of us live
6 a handgun for other things
- more concealable - if you live where CCW is socially frowned upon (and presuming you actually care:D )
- more power - if you're in bear country
7 a shotgun for other things
- reaching out more for bird hunting

After that it is not for 'practical' but becomes a hobby

8 - target/competition guns
9 - historic/collectible guns
10 - 'sets' or guns with cool mechanisms, etc...

"The best 'spare parts set' is another identical firearm..."

Yep. Not a 10%-better one with different parts and operation. Just a boring clone of the primary one.

Wish I'd seen this video in 1985 or so; haven't bought a gun since then that I couldn't do without. Optics and lights are much better now, but every 'essential' gun I have could have a high-end thermal on it if I had spent money on optics versus incrementally 'better' guns.

Part of the problem is it's emotionally difficult to sell off unneeded guns because these days everything seems to be perpetually on the verge of being outlawed (and on top of that, you can't sell anything for a profit without being labeled a 'gun dealer' according to the recent legislation... :roll: ). Still, I've forced myself to 'purge' the herd over the past decade, and if you set aside say 20% or so of the proceeds to upgrade an optic or buy practice ammo, it eases the pain of thinning the herd, and you still have some money left from the sale you can use to pay bills and use for practical things. My 'used' guns are generally dinged up enough with wear and tear that making 'excessive profit' isn't something I've had to be concerned about, and I never really invested in 'collectibles'.

I think the biggest thing to open up my eyes over the years was the constant introduction of new 'miracle cartridges' that seldom accomplished anything different than 50-year-old cartridges could do just as well. Occasionally there are cartridges introduced into the AR platform that duplicate older cartridge performance but do it in a semi-auto rifle, which is kind of nice, but other than that there's not been really anything ballistically new. Even things like 300 Blackout or 6.5 Creedmoor can't do anything older cartridges couldn't do from a ballistic standpoint*. Certainly nothing that my skill set could take advantage of.

* if you think about it, it’s all about the bullet. Within each diameter of bullet, there is a range of available lengths, and the longer bullets generally have better ballistic coefficients, and higher sectional density, but usually weigh more, so require more powder to launch them at equivalent speeds. so it’s pretty much a matter of picking the diameter and weight of bullet you want to launch, and then getting a cartridge big enough to hold the powder necessary to launch it at the speed you want. The only real difference in cartridges at that point, becomes what actions they can fit in and subtle differences in terms of case shape that affect powder burning - things that competitive match shooters can discern, but certainly not me.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat May 18, 2024 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 'One gun and done...'

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That is really convicting me!

I do not have the ability to shoot 1000 yards. I’m no commando and I don’t kick in doors anymore.

I’m no “operator”.

I have a very simple A2 in the truck. It doesn’t have optics. It doesn’t even have a white light on it.

I also keep a short 12 ga in there.

I can’t imagine what else I “need.”

But I love my SAA and leverguns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I not buying buying anymore centerfire rifles and shotguns as I have what I neeed/want but I m a sucker for 22s and BP guns

And here is an example of a 22 I m considering a Zella Mehlis 21 martini 22lr.When I see something like this it is hard to resist
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

BEWARE THE MAN WITH JUST ONE GUN

That's been said for generations and I admit that's probably a valid statement. However, I'm more interested in the beauty, practicality and ownership of more than one. Okay, I'm not as good a shot with handguns as I was in my earlier years and I shoot a bunch of different ones. To make me happy all I need to do is shoot minute of steel gong and I'll keep doing that with dozens of different guns for the foreseeable future. I may not be a competitive marksman but I am a recreational shooter having a good time.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

WARNING! PERSONAL OPINION AHEAD!

Human beings are created so amazingly complex that it is impossible to define a "One Size Fits All" plan of life in any area. What works for some will not work for all.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I only took two sixguns to the ranch today. Makes me wonder why I own anything else..
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

There is very little I cannot accomplish (for me) with my Winchester 1892 in 45 colt, with the exception of long range of course.
Hunting- check
Home/Property Defense- check
Plinking- check
Saddle Gun- check
Long Range- well, I will give it a whirl 🤣
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

wvfarrier wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:14 am There is very little I cannot accomplish (for me) with my Winchester 1892 in 45 colt, with the exception of long range of course.
Hunting- check
Home/Property Defense- check
Plinking- check
Saddle Gun- check
Long Range- well, I will give it a whirl 🤣
That lines up with my thinking as well. Think about Gus’s fight against a man with a Sharps rifle in Lonesome Dove.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have multiples of most everything I own, except my M-1, 1903A3, my 870, 1874 Sharps and my Henry. I have several 1851s, SAAs, side by sides, 1897s, & 1911s. 3 different Deringers, and a couple of break open Smiths. While I have 2 1885s, they're in different calibers and different configurations. Even my 1873s are different, tho' in the same cartridge. And a tool box with various spare parts, for nearly them all. I probably have more than I need, but fewer than I want! Close to enough powder & primers to load all my brass... maybe?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!