Another Oldie from the Sixgunner.Com Archives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Another Oldie from the Sixgunner.Com Archives

Post by JimT »

Favorite Packin’ Pistols
By Chuck Smith

It seems as though this topic has gotten a lot of attention from most of the major gun magazines and writers. Our very own John Taffin has probably done more to bring this subject to national attention than any other gunwriter I can remember. It is true that Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton put to pen and paper their thoughts on the subject….but it was JT who sent in the new wave. This is not a testimonial to John Taffin and all that he has done for the gun culture….but it could be!

A “packin’ pistol” in my opinion could be in any caliber or barrel length you don’t mind carrying for extended periods regardless of the terrain. It is usually considered that the 4, 4-3/4, and 4-5/8” barrel lengths to be the “ultimate” in packin’ pistol handguns. It is certainly not limited to revolvers only as there are many who carry and prefer the semi-auto designed pistol. My personal preference for an all out packin’ pistol is however a revolver….be it single or double action design.

What factors determine what is going to be your packin’ pistol? It mostly depends on the primary use of the gun to be carried. Guns for defense may have different requirements than say a “field” carried sixgun….but one has to be ready for any circumstance that may arise as Newton’s Law is apt to come into play at anytime. For general field carry I like the above mentioned barrel lengths and I find myself even using a 3” barreled S&W N-frame in .44 Magnum quite a bit. I will admit to carrying it more than actually really shooting it as it is a loud,obnoxious,fire breathing little beast…but I really do like it!

The double action revolvers I carry the most are primarily S&W N-frames in .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. You may be asking yourself…”Why all these different calibers?” The answer is simple…because I like them all and each of them serves a purpose in my shooting battery and all of these guns with barrels of 4” fit in the same belt holster! I will elaborate on my personal choices in holsters later. My first honest to goodness packin’ pistol was also my first pistol period! A Ruger 5-1/2” SS manufactured in 1957 and was carried in a Lawrence #120 floral carved belt holster….I thought life could get no better! Both the sixgun and holster have been retired temporarily until such time my boys are ready for them…which is actually around the corner!

My first “big bore” packin’ pistol was of course non other than a beautiful blue 4” S&W Model 29 4-screw….I then knew that life had certainly gotten better! I carried it everywhere and shot the heck out of it….actually wore it out…amazing but true! So I obtained another, and another, and well you get the idea. A S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt as well as a Model 24 .44 Special and Model 28 “Highway Patrolman” .357 Magnum also see a lot of “playing” time and they are all well built and accurate sixguns and have served me very well so far.

Smaller guns in both size and caliber can be good packin’ pistols as well….again your requirements will dictate what you may choose as your gun of choice. I like S&W J-frames in .22 LR, .22 Magnum, and .38 Special. I am never without my blue Model 34 2” .22 revolver and have gotten used to a 3” 317 “kit gun”…the extra two rounds in the 317 are nice also. A custom tuned pinned barrel S&W Model 36 with a 3” barrel has proven to be a revolver worth owning. The accuracy of the little .38 is absolutely incredible and I find it much easier to shoot than the 2” counterpart and IMHO they point better for instinctive shooting…again this is my opinion.

Single-action packin’ pistols are also very near and dear to me….and I have some favorites with them as well. A Ruger 3-screw .45 Colt with a 4-5/8” barrel with a XR3 gripframe installed may very well fit the bill to a T! It handles easily and quickly and has more than ample power for most if not all of what you may encounter. I also use a stainless Ruger SBH with a 4-5/8” barrel that has been converted to Bisley style with gripframe hammer and trigger. It wears a set of Lett fancy walnut grips that have been fit to the gripframe and thinned to my liking. The .44 has also had a custom front sight made for it and a Bowen rear installed, a Belt Mountain #5 .2515 diameter base pin added as well as an action job. It may well be the most accurate .44 Magnum I own and Terry Murbach has some playing cards I cut in half at close to 20 steps using some Cor-Bon 300 gr. JSP ammo…it will shoot if I do my part!

Packin’ pistols don’t always have to have “short” barrels and if you don’t mind the extra length…..they can be most effective. JT really is annoyed by Ruger 6-1/2” barrel lengthed sixguns….he says they should be 4-5/8, 5-1/2, and 7-1/2….I can’t say I disagree with him….but I have several that have the “ill” made 6-1/2” barrels and I suffer through with them alright for now:-} Matter of fact one of my all time favorites is a Ruger “Buckeye” Special Convertible with .32 Magnum and .32-20 cylinders. I am blessed to have two of these great sixguns despite the 6-1/2” barrels they came with….just can’t bring myself to shorten any of them yet….however my dad had one of his cut to 4-3/4” and it is great handling sixshooter.

For a packin’ pistol I don’t go any longer than 7-1/2” and that is probably because I personally don’t think you need any more barrel than that on a belt carried sixgun….only with the exception of my S&W Model 48 .22 Magnum with its 8-3/8” barrel…..the El Paso Saddlery “Threepersons” cross draw holster I use for it makes it tolerable to carry. For the most part the shorter barrels will be more to your liking for pure carrying qualities and even the 3” N-frames offer better portability than the 4” when carried in like holsters. JT again does not care for the 3” N-frames and says if you can carry a 3” you can surely carry a 4” and have a better balanced sixgun….again I don’t necessarily disagree….but I like them both and to be downright honest with you….to me the 3” N-frames are just plain cool looking!

Earlier I mentioned rimfire and small calibered centerfire handguns….these are also very good packin’ pistols and some in my favorite flavors too! Long before I met Paco Kelly….I knew he was my kindred spirit….for we both share a strong affinity for the .22 rimfire and its magnum big brother…as well as the .30 Carbine, .32 Magnum, and the mentioned .32-20 all used in sixguns. Being without a good .22 pistol would surely cause me to be physically ill….I can’t remember ever being without one….and fortunately my interest in them has caused me to obtain several Rugers and S&W’s in both D/A, S/A, and semi-auto design.What is better than a S&W Model 17 6” .22 revolver with its deep blue finish and tack driving accuracy? I know….another one! Other favorites are my two S&W Model 617’s…..stainless steel versions of the 17 with the full lug barrel. One is a first year production 6-shot with a 6” barrel and the most favored square butt…the other is a 10-shot with 4” barrel and round butt. Both are excellent guns and very accurate….the nod going to the 4” for packin’. I also have a S&W Model 17-6 with a 4” heavy barrel….not the full lug….but a heavy round barrel from the factory. It has a round butt and 6-shot cylinder….I have never seen another like it and I found the one I have in used…but like new condition several years ago. It was a great find for its accuracy rivals any that I own. The front sight on this gun was a continuation of the rib and not pinned in…so I had it milled off and a patridge post front sight installed….this revolver is scary accurate and out to very long ranges….I’ll keep it!

I bought one of the Ruger SS .32 Magnum “mini vaquero” in blue soon after introduction and have shot it a good bit. Mine does not shoot to the sights…but I can hit with it. A stainless gripframe from a NM Ruger .357 Blackhawk was put on the blued .32 and round butted for a nice two-tone effect. I also fit a set of Eagle rosewood “Gunfighter” grips to it and the slimness of the little gun is very nice. I have talked to Jim Stroh about welding up the top strap and installing a set of S&W J-frame adjustable sights and making a dovetailed post front sight. I am thinking of giving it to my oldest son and he can have a relatively powerful little packing gun with the ability to use .32 ACP, .32 S&W, and .32 Magnum…all in the same sixgun…kinda like a centerfire rimfire without all the recoil. If he is like me….he will probably have a .22 pistol in his pocket as well….some say the apple don’t fall to far from the tree:-}

As for holsters for packin’ guns….they are as individual a choice as the gun itself and I can only state what my personal choices are. Belt holsters are what I like….PERIOD! I have tried shoulder holsters…and for my uses and needs….I prefer a good ol’ cowhide belt rig….nu fuss no muss….simple….just like me! I like both strongside and crossdraw depending on need and barrel length. For a strong side I prefer a belt holster with a neutral draw….no cant…straight up and down. The ones I use the most are made by Milt Sparks and El Paso Saddlery….the Sparks holster is the Model #200 AW and similar to the one Elmer Keith wore….mine have the trigger area covered…Elmers did not…but the hammer shroud he suggested was a very good idea. The EPS “Threepersons” that I use are both strongside and crossdraw…some have the hammer strap and others use a leather thong. For a general working field holster….the hammer strap is better IMHO. The Sparks holster uses friction and a adjustment screw for retention of the gun….the gun “snaps” in securely and is very fast to draw. I have never had my gun unintentionally fall out of my Sparks holster….and have unintentionally done some very clumsy acrobatics while using it….it’s a great holster and may be the best “all around” holster ever made…again my opinion. These holsters and a 1-3/4” heavy trouser belt are pretty much all I use….and with the centerfires I carry another reload in a 6-round leather cartridge slide….the ones from EPS and Von Ringler are great and I have several in various calibers from both makers….and you can always put a few more in your pocket just in case things get a little thin!

A packin’ pistol like has been said is a individual thing and if you don’t mind packin’ it….my belief is that any I have mentioned will do. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with and one that will supply ample power for your intended task and one that on demand you can draw, point, and hit with without hesitation.

Really “big bore” packin’ pistols are also a favorite of mine….and by that I mean in calibers of .454 Casull and up. Some will not need the power these hand held brutes are capable of….but what does need have to do with it anyway? I have shot many FA built revolvers chambered in .454 and they are wonderfully built precision firearms….unfortunately for one reason or another I have never owned one….although I have my eye on a like new very early 90’s vintage 7-1/2” Field Grade with factory black micarta grips….the price is gradually coming down and I’m going to hold out until I can no longer stand it!

The “big” packin’ guns are the short barreled bruisers I own that were built by John Linebaugh. I am fortunate enough to have two Ruger Bisley Vaqueros chambered in .500 Linebaugh….one is stainless and the other blue….but both are identical with 4-3/4” barrels and white micarta grips made by John’s talented son Dustin. They are compact to the point that they will easily fit in leather made for factory Rugers with similar barrel length. In my estimation these are the epitome of big bore packin’ guns and they can be had chambered in .475 if that is your desire. One of these days I am going to have John build me a blue 4-3/4” adjustable sighted version to be a short barreled companion to my well used 6” .500 Linebaugh.

Packin’ guns can be had in all shapes, sizes, and calibers….and can be carried in more ways than you thought possible….matter of fact I carry a bobbed hammer Ruger 2-3/4” stainless Speed-Six .357 Magnum in my back pocket….or a S&W J-frame in my front pocket…and most times both! Packin’ guns are like race cars…they are no better than the driver behind the wheel. If you are going to pack it…practice with it…know it…handle it…live with it….and it will never let you down. John Linebaugh says that your packin’ gun is your “trusted friend”…I don’t know how profound that statement is or isn’t….but it ain’t a bad rule to live by….I know I do!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Another Oldie from the Sixgunner.Com Archives

Post by gamekeeper »

A good read I enjoyed it, the closest I get to a Packin' Pistol is reading about them... :cry:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:51 pm A good read I enjoyed it, the closest I get to a Packin' Pistol is reading about them... :cry:
I understand. It is quite possible that in the not-to-distant future, reading about them may be all that one can do in this country. In your nation not all that long ago firearms and those who enjoyed them were not uncommon. There were large well-attended shooting matches held and even foreigners competed.

Is the Imperial Meeting still held? The last one I read about was cancelled in 2020 because of covid. I confess I have not kept up on shooting matches in the UK.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes Jim, I believe all the matches at Bisley are scheduled for 2024... :)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I found it on Wikipedia

The Imperial Meeting is a major annual target shooting competition hosted by the National Rifle Association on the historic Bisley Camp in England.

The Meeting lasts for 3 weeks each July, encompassing inter-service military matches; cadet shooting competitions; the Schools Meeting (culminating in the Ashburton Match); Historic Arms; as well as civilian Match Rifle and Target Rifle competitions. The meeting closes with the Sovereign's Prize.

Cool. It was started in 1860! If I were younger I believe I would come just to watch and meet some of the people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Meeting
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Unfortunately I have moved further away from Bisley, I used to go quite often to gun fairs there, fascinating place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like there isn’t a pistol the author DOESN’T like …. :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:01 pm .
Sounds like there isn’t a pistol the author DOESN’T like …. :D
I know Chuck and have spent a lot of time shooting with him in years past. I would have to say you nailed it! :D
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

If that is/was undersheriff capt. smith of slidell, louisiana, I was privileged to meet him in clarksville, arkansas. I was chatting with the elder mister smith about getting to meet gunwriting celebrities such as cumpston, murbach and taylor and capt. smith interrupted and said, "don't let them hear such flattery. Their hat sizes are big enough as is !"

At some point during that trip (2006 ? maybe) on the tailgate of the smith's truck there was somewheres in excess of $60,000 worth of five/sixguns by bowen, clements & linebaugh and I think I got to shoot several of them.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:22 pm If that is/was undersheriff capt. smith of slidell, louisiana, I was privileged to meet him in clarksville, arkansas. I was chatting with the elder mister smith about getting to meet gunwriting celebrities such as cumpston, murbach and taylor and capt. smith interrupted and said, "don't let them hear such flattery. Their hat sizes are big enough as is !"

At some point during that trip (2006 ? maybe) on the tailgate of the smith's truck there was somewheres in excess of $60,000 worth of five/sixguns by bowen, clements & linebaugh and I think I got to shoot several of them.
Yessir .. that is him!