Don't be put off by a low price..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Don't be put off by a low price..

Post by gamekeeper »

I have spent the last few months looking for a 16 gauge hammer gun when I saw one advertised for £75.00 that's 92 bucks American money :shock: its a made in the USSR Toz63 I have owned a couple in the past so know about the quality or rather lack of, the gun was described as not being used much, well I took a chance ($92 ain't gonna break me) I picked it up yesterday and for something over forty years old it indeed look unfired BUT probably the reason was it was extremely difficult to even fit the barrels to the action and opening and closing the action required more muscle than I now have.. :( but my time spent working for Westley Richards was not wasted it only took a few minutes to get the action working like one made in England. These guns are not pretty but built for hard use in Russia.
IMG_20231125_152033.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Don't be put off by a low price..

Post by Bill in Oregon »

John, that's a great find, and especially at that price. Pretty sure a number of these filtered through the cowboy action community decades ago -- and not just the Baikals.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nothing like knowing what to put a file to eh John! Looks like a good investment.
I dont think I've ever shot a 16... only know 1 person that had one, a Parker and although it was in perfect order it was tired looking.
I got my Rizzini 28 warmed up this morning, 7 pheasants and a Hungarian partridge fell to a total of 9 shots- 3 were perfect head shots( top of skull missing) the rest were DRT.
I digress, nice find now go shoot it !
PS, is the stock laminated?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

No it's not laminated but Beech sturdy but not pretty and the previous owner fitted a unnecessary but nice recoil pad.
Good shooting Will, are those Hungarian Partridge as tasty as the others?.

Bill, I think a few have been used in CAS they can certainly take a pounding.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I really don't know John, these are the first time I've shot them.

I figured that was beech( or birch being Russian), if you are inclined to refinish the wood you might want to try vinegar/ 0000 steel wool for stain. I've stained tulip poplar and it evens out the light wood / heart wood very nicely.
Let the steel wool soak a few days then strain through a coffee filter and wipe on for a nice brown.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the tip, I am considering refinishing the stock but have never had much luck with Beech.
IMG_20231125_152003.jpg
A close look of the action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If the beech takes this stain like poplar it should be a dark brown- I've never tried to stain beech so GOOD LUCK!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:37 pm I am considering refinishing the stock but have never had much luck with Beech.
That looks pretty sweet to me John! If you do try to refinish the stock, with Beech, I think you'd have better luck with alcohol-based stains, as that's what Swedish Mausers m/96 or m/38 typically have for wood, and that's what has been reported as being best.

If you have to use commercial stains and like a tinge of "Winchester Red" color in walnut stain, the color "Gunstock" by Cabot Stains is very pretty -- on walnut, not sure how it would look on beech. And if you like a hard oil finish like TruOil but want a softer satin sheen, then Birchwood Casey's "Genuine Oil" is a low-gloss version of TruOil -- just rub it on with your fingers, just as you would with TruOil (6 to 10 coats).

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a great find, John! 8)

I've had an external hammer double-barrel on my "wish list" for a very long time. Just have not found the deal yet. I doubt I'll get your steal! :mrgreen:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the tips on stock staining, I have found Beech to be impossible to make anything other than presentable. The varnish that Ivan coated the stock with probably cost 5c a bucket so if I do refinish it I'll probably just remove the old varnish and take it from there.
Jay I think your collection really does require a 1870s style scatter gun just don't carve on the stock like Stumpy in Rio Bravo.. :lol:
600px-Riob-sawshotgun2.jpg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

John, I recently came into a mystery Zouave stocked in what I have always thought was European beech, with the lens-shaped grain structures perpendicular to the main grain. I stripped it with CitriStrip and sanding. Despite my concerns that it would unevenly streak, I used alcohol-based Fiebing's dark brown leather dye and got about as good a color as I have ever gotten in beech. The before color rendition is off, but not too far off.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What's wrong with Stumpy's shotgun !? :lol:

Hey Bill that color look good!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill I once had the same muzzle loader with the same Beechwood stock and never knew I could have made it as nice and more authentic as yours.... 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

John, it sure looks better, but when I took it apart I discovered that it had a coil spring lock. It is marked FARA Made in Italy, and I have been told that FARA was an early consortium of small builders organized by the Zoli brothers in the early 1960s. I hope to shoot it this week.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mine was the Zoli Buffalo Hunter with a half stock, I'm pretty sure the lock had V springs, it was a .58 smooth bore, the one in the photo is a lot prettier than mine was.
87CD65E9-3C73-4863-A75A-D7BFD2DF08AF.thumb.jpeg.14b747d091c0a6a51cc64a102f61d4d5.jpeg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had one of those for a while. They pack a punch, but I found the sights seemed kinda flimsy for the very hard work they could do -- as they did when Val Forgett and George Nonte took them to Tanzania in 1973. Good grief, I have read that story at least a dozen times in my old falling-apart copy of the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook, which I bought new in 1975. :lol:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 pm ...I used alcohol-based Fiebing's dark brown leather dye...
That's it -- that's the type of alcohol-based stain I've read good things about.

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 pm ...and got about as good a color as I have ever gotten in beech...
Sure looks nicer now -- good job!

Thanks to Bill's posting -- dear 'ol John across the pond has a new winter project! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH