Alaskan Adventure

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Alaskan Adventure

Post by JimT »

In 2006 4 of us spent about a week deep in the bush near the Arctic Circle in Alaska. We were hunting bears and wolves. We had planned this hunt more than a year in advance and had been shipping stuff to Alaska in preparation for camping in very remote areas. Tom Lindner, Tom Peterson, Bryan Pettit and myself were the culprits behind it all. Bryan had lived in Ft. Yukon for 3 years and at the time was living in Palmer. He had a boat at Circle and our plan was to meet in Fairbanks, drive to Circle, load the boat and go North until we found a place we wanted to hunt.

In August we all met in Fairbanks. Tom Lindner and I flew in together. Tom Peterson arrived later and Bryan Pettit drove up from Palmer with his trailer loaded. We bought all our food supplies in Fairbanks and then headed for Circle. The drive was through amazing country. At Circle we loaded the boat and then started up the Yukon River. We traveled quite a long ways and eventually we found a spot that appealed to us for camping and as a base for our hunt, so we pulled in and unloaded and set up camp.
road2.JPG
IMG_6091.JPG
I had my Model 71 Winchester .348 and my Freedom Arms 454 Casull. Everyone was armed with a rifle and a handgun. We had wolves in the camp at night several times, as we could see by fresh tracks. But we had no issues with them other than they were very unco-operative when it came to us shooting one or two.

While we never connected with game, this was one of THE BEST hunts that I have ever gone on. A week hundreds of miles from a city! In country that people rarely visit. It was amazing.

While there is no link to it, years ago I posted photos and some text on Leverguns and I just discovered that it is all still there! You can access it with this link if you are interested. https://www.leverguns.com/alaska/Default.htm
IMG_6090.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Alaskan Adventure

Post by Grizz »

my time was all in SE between Dixon Entrance and Yakutat Bay, inside and outside waters. we tried to see it all but that didn't happen. similar stories, but all on salt water. there are places where you can evade all the traffic and and just Be there.

thanks for posting Jim, it's never enough time there and I still dream about it. the beauty is incomprehensible.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Alaska just seems to call to some folks. 1983 my wife and I drive my CJ-8 from L.A. I n the early 80’s it was as still an adventure. Services few and far between. You had to plan each stage. And a shortwave was a must. A CB might work but it was a gamble.
Most of the way we camped but did spend a few nights sleeping in the cab. Not due to critters but to rain.

Probably the most memorable “road” trip we have taken. As I sometimes tell my eldest, if we hadn’t gone to Alaska he wouldn’t have been conceived. This is something I tend to tell him at the most embarrassing moments. Funny how that happens.

We’ve been talking about going again. But this time in truck hauling a fifth wheel. Hey, we’re 40 years older.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Not jealous, not jealous, not jealous.......

8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wonderful post, Jim. Brings back memories of fly-fishing a creek near the mouth of the Stikine, and God save you if you forget the DEET or the head net. I didn't realize just how big those wolves are until I saw fresh tracks for the first time. :shock:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

One place I've always wanted to see, but still haven't made it.

Thanks for the story, Jim!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If I go I'm NOT coming back! Probably why I haven't gone yet...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:56 pm If I go I'm NOT coming back! Probably why I haven't gone yet...
That's what I always tell people. Seems to work out that way sometimes
abar20manfan
Levergunner

Post by abar20manfan »

Drove up to Alaska in July of 1977, the road back then was mostly gravel/dirt, it rained a lot!
IMG_1928.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Anyone drive to Alaska recently? I wonder what the road is like today. I here tell it actually paved and has things like gas stations and resturants not to mention organized campgrounds. If so one of the last great driving adventures in North America is gone.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:13 pm Anyone drive to Alaska recently? I wonder what the road is like today. I here tell it actually paved and has things like gas stations and resturants not to mention organized campgrounds. If so one of the last great driving adventures in North America is gone.
I drove up in 2019. It's not all paved. I had heard it was before we went, but it wasnt. It wasn't bad, however and better than I planned for. We had 3 vehicles. 5 adults, my 1yo grandson, and a great Dane. We were quite the crew.
Only one intact windshield by the time we reached Tok, but not one flat tire or any other mechanical issues. I couldn't believe it.
We had a lot of stuff with us and was prepared to camp beside the road or leave a vehicle. We also had a stainless 20" Rossi 92 in .357.
There are a lot less places to stop for fuel or amenities than there used to be. Even since my son drove down in 2012. Lots of closed down fuel and store stops. Due to this, everyone stops in the same places. Fuel up as SOON as you get there. If you wait, they could be out of fuel at a later time. We saw this happen. If you're driving something that doesn't have decent range, carry fuel.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Interesting. I suppose fewer folks drive now than in the fairly recent past. Perhaps some of the fuel stops just couldn’t survive.

So you can still take long guns. I had a Smith 29 and a 12 ga 870 No problems with either in the 80’s. Today I imagine handguns are forbidden.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:00 am Interesting. I suppose fewer folks drive now than in the fairly recent past. Perhaps some of the fuel stops just couldn’t survive.

So you can still take long guns. I had a Smith 29 and a 12 ga 870 No problems with either in the 80’s. Today I imagine handguns are forbidden.
I think the biggest contributer to fewer stops is vehicles have more range and are more comfortable now. People just need to stop less. Just a guess, however.
We crossed the border in Montana, and I was sure we were going to have trouble over that rifle. About 2 miles before the border, we stopped and unloaded it. This was the ONLY time in a month it was unloaded.
When we pulled up, they asked if we had any firearms or ammunition, but put a BIG emphasis on handguns or handgun ammunition. I leaned over and said we had a rifle, but it's a .357, so what do you want me to say?
He never mentioned it again, never asked to see it, and that was that. He was more concerned about the dog. I was shocked. Now, full disclosure, my son, his wife, and their buddy had military orders. So that may have helped, who knows?
We kept the carbine in a Molle breachers scabbard draped over the back of the seat of the Jeep. If we got a hotel or motel, we would walk right in with it like we owned the place all over the western US and Canada. Nobody said a word.
On a humorous note, my daughter in law, would go in first and all sweet ask if they took pets. Then we'd all come in with that great Dane and you could see them regret their answer. Still, nobody said anything. She is an incredible dog.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

There was a time I wanted to go up there for the expensive stuff ! Moose , Dall Sheep and Brownies but that time has come and gone . If I were to finally travel there now Prince of Wales island would work as I’m only intrested to kill a couple Blacktails now and like the idea of not needing to worry myself with grizzly .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My son and his family live on Kodiak. My middle son and family were just there visiting. We try and go at least once a year. I'd like to make another road trip up, but just the wife and I with the old Jeep. Take our time.
Wouldn't mind taking an Alaska moose, but of course that's not happening on Kodiak.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

OldWin wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:48 pm My son and his family live on Kodiak. My middle son and family were just there visiting. We try and go at least once a year. I'd like to make another road trip up, but just the wife and I with the old Jeep. Take our time.
Wouldn't mind taking an Alaska moose, but of course that's not happening on Kodiak.
Do it! Like I said our road trip to Alaska was the best of our lives. Granted we were young and spending hours on end seeing new stuff and "sleeping" in different place every night was fantastic. If you've never heard wolves howl or bears huff in the night you should, at least once.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:22 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:48 pm My son and his family live on Kodiak. My middle son and family were just there visiting. We try and go at least once a year. I'd like to make another road trip up, but just the wife and I with the old Jeep. Take our time.
Do it! Like I said our road trip to Alaska was the best of our lives. Granted we were young and spending hours on end seeing new stuff and "sleeping" in different place every night was fantastic. If you've never heard wolves howl or bears huff in the night you should, at least once.
Our trip was the best I've ever been on too. We were gone a month. I got to see so many places I thought I'd never see. There isn't a day goes by I don't think about it. We had my grandsons 1st birthday party in a brewery parking lot with pizza and beer. Couldn't have been better.
Would love to do it again. Probably as soon as I retire in a few years. Could do it 20 times and never see it all.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Went through Circle two years ago on my way to this camp SouthWest of Ft Youkon. Lots of Wolves and Bears even a few moose (sorry to say all lived).
It is not the critic who counts
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

Back in the 80’s I purchased my place in Alaska, on the Kenai. It made for a great way to prepare for fly out and waterway hunts and fishing trips all over the state. Years later once I retired, I had the time and destination, so I made many trips back and forth driving the Alcan. One particular trip, around June 2011, the weather was mostly clear and mild, with the sunshine out, I photographed 23 bears, ( lots of bison, caribou, sheep, foxes etc too) along the side of the Highway, driving along. The road past Haines junction most years has extreme frost heaves, and there’s still many graded gravel stretches.
If you’re going, start with good tires, and a bad windshield. I always carried an extra gas can, to keep from waiting till 7:am till stations in certain areas opened. It’s one of those trips you will always remember. After 20 trips, flying becomes a viable option. I’m very glad I got to experience Alaska in the 70’s-2000. The Land I knew, and affordable fly out trips are a thing of the past for me.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bearskinner wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:09 am Back in the 80’s I purchased my place in Alaska, on the Kenai. It made for a great way to prepare for fly out and waterway hunts and fishing trips all over the state. Years later once I retired, I had the time and destination, so I made many trips back and forth driving the Alcan. One particular trip, around June 2011, the weather was mostly clear and mild, with the sunshine out, I photographed 23 bears, ( lots of bison, caribou, sheep, foxes etc too) along the side of the Highway, driving along. The road past Haines junction most years has extreme frost heaves, and there’s still many graded gravel stretches.
If you’re going, start with good tires, and a bad windshield. I always carried an extra gas can, to keep from waiting till 7:am till stations in certain areas opened. It’s one of those trips you will always remember. After 20 trips, flying becomes a viable option. I’m very glad I got to experience Alaska in the 70’s-2000. The Land I knew, and affordable fly out trips are a thing of the past for me.
In Whitehorse, I think, there was a self serve station open all night. (no attendant) That was 2018. I don't know how common this is but I'd guess it's expanding. That vehicle gets 20 mpg and I never ran short. I went through Skagway to catch the ferry, great scenery and a good road in. Love the Yukon and BC roads.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Alaska is on my list for sure. Just got back from a 9-day vacation with Mrs. YK doing a bus tour of Rapid City, the Badlands, Crazy Horse monument, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Cody, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Jackson and Salt Lake City. First bus tour, covered 2,064 miles total. I was incredible!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:39 pm Alaska is on my list for sure. Just got back from a 9-day vacation with Mrs. YK doing a bus tour of Rapid City, the Badlands, Crazy Horse monument, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Cody, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Jackson and Salt Lake City. First bus tour, covered 2,064 miles total. I was incredible!
We did that on the same trip we drove to Alaska. We were gone a month. My wife and I flew to Sioux Falls and our son's motley road crew picked us up at the airport. For the next month, 5 adults, my 1 year old grandson, and a great Dane had an epic road trip.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Alaska is a wonderful place. Even Aussies lust after hunting there. I got my chance back in 2012 when a cancelled moose hunt came up at a reknowned camp on the Alaskan Penninsula. I booked and hunted that September.

My biggest decision was what firearms to take. I wanted to take a levergun and my FA in 454. I agonised over taking a 348, 405 or 45/90 but In the end I decided to take a bolt action in 375H&H and the 454 pistol. I figured a scoped bolt action would be handy if the range was longer than I’m comfortable with using an open sighted levergun. Besides, if the shot was close I’d still have my pistol. I put in a lot of practice before the trip, especially with the 454.

Lots of bears, a couple of wolves and even some moose were sighted. The weather gods were unkind and it rained a lot. On day 13 I was lucky and managed to take a good old bull. It was a good thing I took the 375 as the range was well beyond my capability with an open sighted levergun. What did surprise me is that for such a vast wilderness there wasn’t a lot of game (other than moose or bears).

I have a lot of fond memories of that trip - it was one of the best hunting adventures I’ve experienced. If you get a chance grab it with both hands. You won’t regret it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:33 pm There was a time I wanted to go up there for the expensive stuff ! Moose , Dall Sheep and Brownies but that time has come and gone . If I were to finally travel there now Prince of Wales island would work as I’m only intrested to kill a couple Blacktails now and like the idea of not needing to worry myself with grizzly .
My brother who lived in Sitka for a long stretch said he preferred hunting on POW because of the road system, and he thought sleeping in the truck camper was more comfortable than sleeping in the skiff. IDK why. It's beautiful country and we interfaced with it by selling our salmon in Craig.
pow_scenic byway.jpg
It's a national scenic byway now, would be a wonderful week or so of wandering around.