Enfield No.4 MK I/2 Target/ Match Rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Enfield No.4 MK I/2 Target/ Match Rifle.

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought this Enfield recently. It's set up as as a Match or target rifle with a very nice Parker Hale receiver sight. It does have a Century Arms import mark on it, but don't know if it was imported this way or set up afterwards.
This Fazakerly No.4 was made in 1944 then FTR'd ( Factory Thorough Repaired) in 1952. All matching numbers as well. Right down to the magazine. The sling obviously doesn't belong, but it will do until I dig out one of my British web slings.

Sighting it in and getting used to the trigger, the first target on the right was 150 gr. Horn. JSPs and 41 gr. of IMR 4895.
Target on the left is 38 gr. 4895 and 180 gr. Speer JSP.

Second round with the 180 Speer load produced what I had hoped it would. Two, tight separate groups. Had to chase a mosquito out of my eyes. Target on the left was 180 gr Remington Corelokts that I have a few boxes. Always like to see what my handloads will do compared to factory ammo. That fifth shot was due to the aforementioned mosquitos.
The first rifle I ever bought was an old No.4 that was mismatched, a little beat up, a little pitted, but it was still a good shooter.
I've been an Enfield/ .303 British fanatic ever since. It's also the cartridge that started me down the reloading trail. In the '80s there wasn't a lot of .303s around here for sale. Always had to wait for a show to find some.

A side note for Mr. YK.
70 degrees and 54% humidity this morning. Thanks for taking the heat and humidity back to the Carolinas with you! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Enfield No.4 MK I/2 Target/ Match Rifle.

Post by AJMD429 »

Hopefully you can find a load to dial in - even if it doesn’t beat a modern match rifle it will be FUN…!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You're right, it's no Remington 40X, but it will shoot better than I can.

I'm sure I can tweak the 180s a bit, but I wasn't unhappy with this load.

The two separate groups were entirely my doing after shifting my shooting position. That and those front sights are starting to get harder to see!
I had another box loaded with the same 180s and a similar charge of Varget. However, it's current location escapes me. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

It's no Remington 40X, but the 40X ain't no Battle Rifle. Nice shooting.