September 2nd

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

September 2nd

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pretty active day in my county of Virginia . Half hour before sunrise opens the first day of the early gun deer season and at noon dove season opens . It’s my intention to be perched in a tree before legal shooting time and hopefully be back by 10amish then get on the ATV and across the road in front my house down thru the neighbors gate and pasture field then park by their other fence and into the chopped cornfield set up my Mojo decoys a chair drag my camo cooler some shells and my Parker VHE 16 gauge skeet gun there and wait . If by chance they’re flying well and I’m shooting semi well get my limit before 4pm then head home pop the breasts out shower put deer hunting stuff on and back to my treestand . Now do I think it’ll play out like that highly unlikely but one can hope :lol: :lol:
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: September 2nd

Post by Tycer »

Looking forward to the report!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Frankly, I'm just jealous! I'll be on the road up to the deep Pacific NorthWET!
Last edited by Griff on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:00 pm Frankly, I'm just jealous! I be on the road up to the deep Pacific NorthWET!
I’d very much like to do a dove opener in TX , AZ and or NM but I doubt that happens . I know a judge from TX that’s going to Argentina in the group I’m in for February of next year . He comes up and does pheasant tower shoots with us one or twice a season , anyway he extols the virtues of dove and quail in TX !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It seems half of Texas is quivering with excitement over the dove opener. It seems to be so popular here that motels near dove hotspots sell out of reservations months early. You'd think it was the Dallas Safari Club convention, or the Super Bowl.
All kinds of doves, but mostly whitewings, in my neck of the woods and I shoot several imaginary limits on my evening walks.
I quit shooting and eating them decades ago, preferring light-meated quail, pheasants and grouse, but it is fun to feel the excitement in the air nonetheless.
6-pt, good luck in your quest. I'll bet you can do it!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My son and his friends from school and church made the dove opener on a ranch every year. Until now. With everyone up to their eyeballs raising kids and running businesses they've decided not to meet together this year. . . My son might find some overflying his place, IDK. It is definitely a thing in Texas. And great fellowship.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:32 am My son and his friends from school and church made the dove opener on a ranch every year. Until now. With everyone up to their eyeballs raising kids and running businesses they've decided not to meet together this year. . . My son might find some overflying his place, IDK. It is definitely a thing in Texas. And great fellowship.
It’s pretty much “a thing” as you put it all over the south . I’ve got friends in VA , GA , SC , MS and TX that have been salivating over the upcoming opener for two months now .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:31 am I quit shooting and eating them decades ago, preferring light-meated quail, pheasants and grouse, but it is fun to feel the excitement in the air nonetheless.
Dove are usually in short supply in my freezer . Pheasant and Partidge seem to take the most room of the fowl and always seem to have enough quail for 10 or so meals by seasons end . Dove breasts with Cajun seasoning wrapped with a 1/4 strip of bacon and cooked in the oven on broil are rather tastey in my opinion . My dove hunting partner from my start was my maternal grandfather who’s been gone for 15 years now . While on one hand I enjoy shooting dove immensely, while sitting in the field I’ll sometimes remmember who is missing :?
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

6pt-sika wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:02 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:31 am I quit shooting and eating them decades ago, preferring light-meated quail, pheasants and grouse, but it is fun to feel the excitement in the air nonetheless.
Dove are usually in short supply in my freezer . Pheasant and Partidge seem to take the most room of the fowl and always seem to have enough quail for 10 or so meals by seasons end . Dove breasts with Cajun seasoning wrapped with a 1/4 strip of bacon and cooked in the oven on broil are rather tastey in my opinion . My dove hunting partner from my start was my maternal grandfather who’s been gone for 15 years now . While on one hand I enjoy shooting dove immensely, while sitting in the field I’ll sometimes remmember who is missing :?

Dove season is really popular here in Arkansas too. I don't hunt them because I don't care for the dark gamey meat. Same with duck.
My recipe for Dove is to wrap the breast in bacon and cook it on the grill. When done give someone else the Dove and eat the bacon. :P
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JBowen wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:01 pm

Dove season is really popular here in Arkansas too. I don't hunt them because I don't care for the dark gamey meat. Same with duck.
My recipe for Dove is to wrap the breast in bacon and cook it on the grill. When done give someone else the Dove and eat the bacon. :P
What part of AR you in ? I’ve been down to Lake Village a time or two it’s just across the River from Greenville MS . We go down there to shoot feral pigs on a friends place .
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:28 pm

What part of AR you in ? I’ve been down to Lake Village a time or two it’s just across the River from Greenville MS . We go down there to shoot feral pigs on a friends place .
6pt-- I live on the western side of Arkansas off of exit 41 of I-40 (41 miles from Oklahoma and Ft. Smith) in between Ozark and Clarksville on the Arkansas River.
If you and your friend need some help with them feral pigs let me know. I can be in Lake Village in about 3 hours!

JBowen
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JBowen wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:44 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:28 pm

6pt-- I live on the western side of Arkansas off of exit 41 of I-40 (41 miles from Oklahoma and Ft. Smith) in between Ozark and Clarksville on the Arkansas River.
If you and your friend need some help with them feral pigs let me know. I can be in Lake Village in about 3 hours!

JBowen
I’ve not gone in a couple years as I typically go to the Philippines when he likes to go to AR . Usually goes down the last weekend of duck season and stays for a week at another friends hunting cabin/house . Last few years he’s taken three other guys with him .