Older Gentlemen

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Older Gentlemen

Post by JimT »

1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Older Gentlemen

Post by gamekeeper »

:lol: I know the feeling.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:28 am1.JPG
al-cohn-quote-lbl3j4a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Grizz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:42 am

Whenever I hear or hear about the bagpipes I always remember this line from the movie "Paratrooper".

“I’m sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland.”

It stared Alan Ladd, and had a very young future Treker Patric Doonan. Yep, he was billed with out the "k" in his first name.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:54 pm
Grizz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:42 am

Whenever I hear or hear about the bagpipes I always remember this line from the movie "Paratrooper". It stared Alan Ladd, and had a very young future Treker Patric Doonan. Yep, he was billed with out the "k" in his first name.
that's interesting. I heard that quote above from my Dad when I was youngish at home and dina ken what a bagpipe is, which is a long way from the predecessors . . .
bag pipes and tin whistles and ocarinas all give me a migrain type tooth ache, even though my teeth live in a jar. THAT's how painful it is.
but I suppose it could make the clan feel extremely blood thirsty I guess :D :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, astatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made sound never equaled the purity of sound achieved by the pig.
-alfred hitchcock-
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:31 pm The inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, astatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made sound never equaled the purity of sound achieved by the pig.
-alfred hitchcock-
NICE! There must be a cartoon associated with the notion. Pig under arm. Legs pointed up. etc.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now fellas, there are some of us whose cups runneth over with British Isles DNA who can get positively choked up hearing the pipes. I haven't much Scots in me, but dinna forget the lovely Northumbrian small pipes and many, many other regional variants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUW7FpR_l4
And then there are the Uilleann pipes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylrySrsfCZs
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hilarious.
Bagpipes come in handy sometimes!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

From a bagpiper - A personal Story.

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Saskatchewan back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost but I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral director had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together.

When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

more input please :lol: :lol: :lol:

I read an account of a battle where the pipes could be heard 10 miles away. Is this possible? I could see a battle use for the pipes if they were sending tactical control messages . . . much quicker than sending a runner, and more likely the message goes through . . . , a predecessor to the bugler? OR the follow-up to the shofar?
big BUT, I have never heard of this happening, have you?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If you wanted to give your enemy the trembles at distance in Bronze Age Ireland, you had your dord/trumpa players assemble and send some notes. That low note is just tremendous. Blaine likely knows way more about this than I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baBPQU2Yezk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDgv5O8i8RU

And then there was the Iron Age Celtic Carnyx, which this kid sure knows how to play!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDyo7rji9VI
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Spilled Scotch.jpg
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are