Interesting Find On Dillon's Website For 550 and 650 Press Owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting Find On Dillon's Website For 550 and 650 Press Owners

Post by COSteve »

One of the upgrades of the 750 over both the 550 and 650 is the crank grease fittings. I've added grease to mine and I really like the ability to keep the crank bearings well lubed.

I stumbled on a page on Dillon's website that's called 'Reloader Upgrades and Updates' and in it, Dillon has 2 updates to add a grease fitting capability to both the 550 and 650 that you may find interesting. https://www.dillonprecision.com/reloadi ... _limit=all

First, the 550 Grease Fitting Upgrade, p/n 18275, is priced at $62 and can be found at https://www.dillonprecision.com/18275 .

Second, the 650 Crank Upgrade Kit w/ Grease Fitting, p/n 18276, is priced at $68 and can be found at https://www.dillonprecision.com/18276 .
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting Find On Dillon's Website For 550 and 650 Press Owners

Post by Old No7 »

Interesting, yes... For high-volume users, sure.

But for $62 or more, plus the tax & shipping costs, I'll just grease as needed and spend the rest on components. Sadly, mine doesn't get the workout that a competitive shooter's would get. Still, it's good to know...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve been thinking about sending my 550b back to be refurbished. But I use the dang thing every week and I would miss it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:20 pm I’ve been thinking about sending my 550b back to be refurbished. But I use the dang thing every week and I would miss it.
It would be easy to do yourself. I did see that they also include a Platform Alignment Tool, p/n 13713, (and valued at $14.00) with the kit so I'm sure the instructions are clear and complete as Dillon is meticulous that way.

Looking at my 750 and remembering my 650 and 550, I'm guessing that you'll need a crescent wrench or properly sized open end box wrench to remove the Nylock Nuts, Link Pins and old Crank on the 550 and 650 and replace them with the new Cranks, Link Arm Pins and Zert Fitted Nuts.

I'm betting that you would remove and replace the Link Arm Pins and Cranks without removing the Platform as they likely gave you the Alignment Tool to check for Proper Alignment of the Platform after replacing the Cranks and Pins. For that you'll need the large Allen Wrench they provide with your press.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Thanks for the heads-up, looks like a worthwhile upgrade. My 550 is actually an old converted 450 and still has the plain crank pin with snap rings, if you don't keep that in mind it can twist in use and cause some issues.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Steve, thanks for the tip. I received mine today and will probably have a chance to install it later in the week or over the weekend.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Since Dillon had a really good sale on conversion kits I went ahead and ordered this as well. (Decided to get the .475/.480 kit).

Looking forward to doing the work and I’ll clean everything up when I do.