local g.s. Oh My

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

local g.s. Oh My

Post by Grizz »

there are counties in Wa La La Landia that replicate real America. ! I visited a store in another county that is about a hundred yards of long guns organized by type and manufacturer on three walls, fronted by an aisle and glass cases full of short guns also classified by make and model . . .

In the case with the SUPER WRANGLER is the stainless Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt 4.75" barrel with 45 ACP cylinder... Oh My.... it's hard to believe I left it there, pining away for someone to, ya know?, rescue it. :lol: :D I didn't ask if they would take an R65 in trade... 8)

grizz
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: local g.s. Oh My

Post by Walt »

Grizz, is the R65 a BMW bike?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:37 am Grizz, is the R65 a BMW bike?
Yes it is! Thanks for asking. It's a classic airhead 650cc boxer engine.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

WOW, didn't know they made them in that barrel length. Would have saved my gunsmith time in cutting the barrel from 6 inches to 5 1/2, the 4 3/4 would have been perfect when he put S&W sights in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Paladin wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:46 pm WOW, didn't know they made them in that barrel length. Would have saved my gunsmith time in cutting the barrel from 6 inches to 5 1/2, the 4 3/4 would have been perfect when he put S&W sights in it.
You know, I may have got that barrel length wrong . . . One was 5.5, I think, the one I liked was shorter, and felt perfect. At least that's my recall, but I scramble numbers so now IDK !! lol ... besides, I wouldn't have any trouble bobbing a barrel if I need to ..... :)
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Well, actually the standard short barrel length on Rugers is 4 5/8" but 4 3/4" is close enough. My shooting partner has a stainless Bisley Ruger in .45 Colt with a 3 3/4" barrel; it's a great shooter but you don't see them very often.

Grizz, I rode a 1984 R80RT for 15 years or so. I replaced that with an R1100R which I still ride and I really enjoy....it's a great bike.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:32 pm Well, actually the standard short barrel length on Rugers is 4 5/8" but 4 3/4" is close enough. My shooting partner has a stainless Bisley Ruger in .45 Colt with a 3 3/4" barrel; it's a great shooter but you don't see them very often.

Grizz, I rode a 1984 R80RT for 15 years or so. I replaced that with an R1100R which I still ride and I really enjoy....it's a great bike.
Fantastic !! My first motor vehicle was an R50 that i rode coast to coast twice. Then an R-60 that i rode all over kalif. Then i went to a place in Alaska with no roads . . . The R65 is in hopes of making the cross-country trip one more time. Been thinking of installing the 800cc kit for the torque. :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:05 pm
Walt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:32 pm Well, actually the standard short barrel length on Rugers is 4 5/8" but 4 3/4" is close enough. My shooting partner has a stainless Bisley Ruger in .45 Colt with a 3 3/4" barrel; it's a great shooter but you don't see them very often.

Fantastic !! Is the 1100 the oil-head engine?

My first motor vehicle was an R50 that i rode coast to coast twice. Then an R-60 that i rode all over kalif. Then i went to a place in Alaska with no roads . . . The R65 is in hopes of making the cross-country trip one more time. Been thinking of installing the 800cc kit for the torque. :lol:
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Yes. Parked at the Valles Caldera near Los Alamos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:41 pm Yes. Parked at the Valles Caldera near Los Alamos.
That's classy. And looks Fast. Does the wind screen keep you out of the buffet zone?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's an interesting question, Grizz. I wasn't happy with it so I cut a couple inches off the top and now my helmet is in clean air. It's much better.

BTW, are you familiar with Russell Day Long Seats? They do look kinda funny but it sure reduces "monkey butt".
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:06 pm That's an interesting question, Grizz. I wasn't happy with it so I cut a couple inches off the top and now my helmet is in clean air. It's much better.

BTW, are you familiar with Russell Day Long Seats? They do look kinda funny but it sure reduces "monkey butt".
not familiar but I will look into them. i will need a lot of "rest stops" between "gas stops" before i acclimate.

back in the day when i first ran across country, the interstates were not crowded. i know this is hard to believe, but it was a fact in the west. i twisted the throttle wide open, layed down on the tank, and held onto the earles front end, with my sandles on the rear pegs... i slept on concrete picnic tables with the bike leaning into it and my feet on the tank. I CANNOT IMAGINE DOING ANYTHING LIKE THIS NOW !! coast to coast twice. the impossible ride i guess ! ! ! !

the good old days . . .

are you still an active rider? i am not. yet. too many projects,
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

This was my old R80RT. It had a few strong points but good braking capability was not among them. It was a good cool weather bike because the fairing directed warm air from the engine onto my feet and legs. That tall windshield also made it unnecessary to wear earplugs. For 1985 and later models, BMW made their valves suitable for unleaded gas. I missed it by a year and had to use a lead substitute in every tankful of gas.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:27 pm This was my old R80RT. It had a few strong points but good braking capability was not among them. It was a good cool weather bike because the fairing directed warm air from the engine onto my feet and legs. That tall windshield also made it unnecessary to wear earplugs. For 1985 and later models, BMW made their valves suitable for unleaded gas. I missed it by a year and had to use a lead substitute in every tankful of gas.
that's a beauty. looks like deep oil pan and maybe large gas tank?

good point about the gas. i need to find out what the other airheads are running now . . .
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's a 5 gallon fuel tank. The best fuel mileage I got with it was about 44 mpg; I regularly get 52 to 54 mpg with my R1100.