PC on Marlin 336SS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

PC on Marlin 336SS

Post by Mainehunter »

Local gun shop has a Marlin 336SS LTD in 35 Rem. The barrel in non-micorgove type, hardly used and the shop owner doesn't have the original box the previous owner threw it out. $495 out the door. Your thoughts.

Mainehunter :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: PC on Marlin 336SS

Post by AJMD429 »

If it were around where I live, I'd snap it up in a moment. It would have to be with credit card 'cash' but I'm an admitted LeverNut.

I ALMOST bought a .35 Rem XLR for a much higher price [but didn't want to put THAT much money on a credit card], because I like stainless, and am always griping that "they" should make a .357 maximum levergun. If you look at the .35 Rem it IS a .357 Max, plus, plus! I don't think the XLR's are ungainly, but some folks do. A little 1894 in .357 or .32-20 cut down, or even .44 for that matter, would be more compact if you were climbing through briars and grapevines, but otherwise, I find the XLR's really comfortable to hoist, and I think the .35 Remington would be a good companion gun to a .45-70 or .444. (See, you NEED a .357 Mag and .44 Mag for your short actions, then a .35 Rem and a .444 for your long ones, or use .45 Colt and .45-70 if you prefer as the larger-bore 'pair' and aren't so obsessive-compulsive that the two different bullet diameters bugs you :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Mainehunter wrote:Local gun shop has a Marlin 336SS LTD in 35 Rem. The barrel in non-micorgove type, hardly used and the shop owner doesn't have the original box the previous owner threw it out. $495 out the door. Your thoughts.

At that price I would already be posting pictures :D !Just me,but I prefer "ballard"rifle'n over microgroove.35 remington is a nice caliber. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I put the gun on hold for a day or two just to decide. The problem I'm finding is brass is becoming harder to find for it.

blackfly
Levergunner

Post by blackfly »

Mainehunter, I too am a Maine hunter and was fortunate enough to be gifted the very same rifle xmas of '05.
Somewhere between then and now we've done some serious bonding and I wouldn't give it up and could get by just fine if it was my only one.
Gonna go send you a PM.

blackfly
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Two words - buy it.

Use it in its current excellent chambering or have it rechambered for .356 Win and be able to attain .358 Win velocities from a levergun. :)