The Ultimate Pocket Shooter?? 9oz Loaded

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

The Ultimate Pocket Shooter?? 9oz Loaded

Post by Blaine »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxkpvob4obk

I'm not The Guy that will latch onto just any of the Latest Thing, but this seems pretty darn cool and useful.
It weighs about 2oz less loaded than my LCP empty.
However, it's 22 mag v. 380 for the LCP.
Might be back-pocket- useful with snake shot?
I doubt I'd change out my LCP, but someone might really like this one.
https://stdgun.com/switch-gun-22wmr-sin ... -revolver/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Ultimate Pocket Shooter?? 9oz Loaded

Post by Ray »

Small world mister tubaman. Great minds think alike.
Dug these out of my pocket as I read this. However, methinks n.a.a. is the tried and true way to go.....
IMG_20221020_155338126~2.jpg
Just a little while ago, they (and a guardian angel or two) got me safely down to and back from a building supply joint across the tracks in zululand.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

There are some nice 22 Mag NAA mini-guns for sale even here in Commiefornia but I have my doubts that a 22 mag at snubbie velocities could "stop the threat" fast enough, especially with a body shot. Yes, it will kill, but will just take too long I think. -Tutt

P.S. The NAA I handled had an extremely high-effort cocking mechanism to re-fire that I also did not think would be conducive to defending yourself. Maybe that could be fixed with some gunsmithing though.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For most interpersonal confrontations the caliber of the gun a defender uses has no bearing on things. It's a gun and that's all that is considered. Look at how many guys with a BB gun have been shot after pointing it at the Police. My friend Charl took on 3 guys who had AK47's and hand grenades and were shooting up the church he was in. He had a little 5 shot .38 Special 2". He fired 3 shots, hit one of them and they stopped the attack and ran for the car.

The zombie who requires a lot of shooting and eventually a wooden stake through his heart is an extremely rare individual.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, I respect you and look up to you as you know. I've only been in one bar fight, but it was a pretty ugly one for me, but not terribly bad as they go as I was not hurt. The data on who survives being shot is mixed. Some die just at the mention of being shot. Others you can fill full of holes and they don't die too quickly. I'm not saying your wrong, and that the majority of attackers, particularly in "random" situations when emotions are not high, everything you are saying is probably true as they are cowards. But when things get heated, and crimes of passion are present, magnified by alcohol or drugs, they might have much more will to fight.

I think an angry animal or individual is much more of a threat (and his friends as they most often work together and supported by each other), but again, if I'm going to pull the trigger at all, I want more fire power. Love you a lot, no disrespect at all. I just want more than a 22 mag from a snubbie.

-Andrew
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:34 pm There are some nice 22 Mag NAA mini-guns for sale even here in Commiefornia but I have my doubts that a 22 mag at snubbie velocities could "stop the threat" fast enough, especially with a body shot. Yes, it will kill, but will just take too long I think. -Tutt

P.S. The NAA I handled had an extremely high-effort cocking mechanism to re-fire that I also did not think would be conducive to defending yourself. Maybe that could be fixed with some gunsmithing though.
Me, too. Not so with my "short" 9mm LCP

My very first EDC was a double action S&W 317 .22lr.....At personal range I could empty all 8 rounds centered on a torso-sized target. I reasoned that would be more than enough for one goblin.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Remember this ?

" I'll offer the Stop & Rob shooting down the street from me as exhibit "1"...The shop owner was shot with a .380 FMJ, in the shoulder, and walked to the bus...."

My question is would the use of a .22 wmr have made a different result ?
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ray, don't understand, better links please. -Tutt

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Here is THE ULTIMATE ONE-SHOT STOPPING POCKET SHOOTER!
2022101114201963457ba32da6e.jpg
You shoot a pocket with that thing it'll never bother you again!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

When a daughter-in-law wanted to borrow a .22 wmr from the raycave to try out prior to purchasing her own for purse carry, I had already decided to give her a charter arms .22 but I sent her this link just to pick at her....

https://www.gunblast.com/Excel-22Mag.htm
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I don't know what it weighs, but I'd bet it's a lot quicker and less fumbly to get into action.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Geeze Jim, you have some very deep pockets! :) Ray, thanks for the link to the Gunblast article. I had not seen that one before. -Tutt

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Ok, so I prevaricated somewhat in my first reply. I was a bit more gatted than I intimated at first.
IMG_20221022_042559758~2.jpg
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:04 pm I don't know what it weighs, but I'd bet it's a lot quicker and less fumbly to get into action.
At least the holster is nice. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
arclight
Levergunner

Post by arclight »

Well, yeah, any gun is better than no gun. But after decades in law enforcement I have learned that none of them are small enough to carry and none of them are big enough to fight with. I have never yet been in a gunfight where I wanted a smaller gun, a cheaper gun, or less bullets. But I also cheerfully agree with the maxim that "the first rule of gunfighting is - have a gun."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This little North American Arms Mini Revolver in 22 WMR (has 22 LR cylinder also) with the folding grip has accompanied me and other family members when jogging because you can clip it onto running shorts easily. I even had it with me one time going to a party where we were at poolside and I didn't plan on swimming but was wearing swimming trunks. I actually got in the pool briefly and it was mostly just to see if when I got home the gun would fire. It actually did but some of the rounds were kind of squibby. I'm presuming the seal on rimfire heeled bullets is not great. I guess a person could use nail polish or something to seal them.

IMG_20221023_111149741~2.jpg
IMG_20221023_111200812~2.jpg
As far as the philosophy of stopping power, my general tendency is that since I really don't care if people notice that I'm carrying a gun or not I'll carry whatever is best regardless of size. When my choice was a Ruger Mark II in 22 LR versus a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum, I chose the latter. As I accumulated more firearms I tended to gravitate towards calibers that begin with four but was happy with a bullet anywhere over seven or 800 ft per second, mostly because I didn't want to suffer permanent hearing loss unnecessarily. I've never had to discharge firearm in a self-defense situation although I have had to display one a few times and point one at someone's chest on one occasion in order to convince him to rethink his priorities. Currently I have 'settled' on 9 mm just because I really like the idea of an exposed hammer gun that can be carried with hammer down and no spring tension. But I would seriously consider a 45 ACP if I could get one in the same configuration. However in even in a full size service pistol I have found that I can shoot slightly faster with a 9 mm which could be an advantage if there were multiple bad guys.

Sometimes if the weather is hot and I'm not wearing anything other than short pants and want to walk someplace down the road in the rural area we live in, I will just use a single point sling and carry my AR pistol in 300 Blackout, but that is something a little easier to do in a rural Midwestern area than other places...! Or I might just carry my Redhawk revolver in a paper bag if I want to be a little more discreet. :D

Nonetheless, there are times when concealability or lightweight is important, and at that point I feel like a 22 WMR is certainly better than fist or knife, at least in my hands, since I'm not a trained fighter. Going to a slightly bigger firearm, I find the SIG 938 in 9mm to be very easy to shoot and hit with, especially with the factory (Hogue?) rubber grips. The tritium sights even work in poor lighting conditions, and it has the exposed hammer and 1911 style safety that I like. However, for a subcompact gun, it is great, but there is no denying that it is a lot heavier than the NAA mini revolver, and certainly isn't something you could just clip to a pair of jogging shorts...!

I think we have all seen reports of, and probably some had personal experience with, criminals absorbing quite a few rounds of large caliber powerful ammunition and still going on to hurt others. Personally, I would probably quit the fight if shot in my little toe with a BB gun, but then I'm not on meth or crack and in the middle of some violent crime. It's just like hunting. I've shot deer with not terribly potent rounds that didn't take a single step and just dropped instantly, yet put 300 grain 44 or 45 caliber bullets through both ventricles and had the deer run over a hundred yards.

I guess if I really thought I was going to encounter a bad guy, I'd stay home, but if that wasn't an option I would probably have a semi-automatic 12 gauge loaded with alternating buckshot and slugs. Kind of hard to tuck that in the old jogging shorts though...
( "... are you glad to see me, or is that a Saiga-12 ...?")
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The 22WMR out of a NAA mini is surprisingly loud. Hearing the noise and seeing the flame and feeling a small punch might be enough to stop some goblins. I am not going to force myself into a situation where I find out. I like more power, but concealability and shootability are factors of concern. After dark walks with my 20 pound terriers are accompanied by something in a holster under a shirt that is hanging out. If I need to rip the buttons off because I am in a hurry, then the cost of a new shirt is not a concern. Whatever is in the holster is something that I am familiar with to the point that I do not think about it while using it. It may be only a handgun, and not as powerful as a rifle, but it will be something I can hit the target with. I contend that a hit with a medium caliber is better than a miss from anything else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost