Ruger 96 22 Magnum Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
H&R BANG
Levergunner

Ruger 96 22 Magnum Range Report

Post by H&R BANG »

The woodchuck in my backyard has annoyed me suffciently for me to sight in my new Ruger 96 22 Magnum. I have had the rifle for almost a year, but the factory trigger pull was so bad it became a dust collector. A month or so ago I sent the lever mechanism to Todd Toenges (www.ttshooter.com) for help. He did a great job getting the slack, roughness, and grit out. The trigger pull is low enough for a hunting gun, but not touchy (sorry, I don't have a trigger pull scale). The gun has a Weaver K2.5.

Anyway, I sighted in a 50 yards with CCI 30 grain +V ammo. It shot about 1.5" at 50 yards with some vertical stringing. I need to work on the barrel band. I hit the 100 yard swinging target with no problem. When I have more time, I have collected about 10 different loads to try. I like the gun and Todd's work even better.

Woodchuck, look out!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The 96/22 mag has been on my short list for some time!

I can't think of many things more fun than poppin' wood chucks.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the report, one doesn't see to many for the 96's.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice range report.Yes trying different ammo is in order. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the range report.
The UK Shooting Times had a rifle test on this model by a guy called Bruce Potts, he liked the gun but started the article by saying "When I think of lever-action rifle's I immediately visualise a venerable old Winchester 94 blazing a trail through the Dakota deserts However, as far as a viable hunting tool goes, I must confess lever-action rifles have no appeal whatsoever I always prefer a sturdy bolt-action"
With gun writers like this showing their ignorance of history, geography and firearms, its a wonder how they can make a living! :shock:

He even stated that the open sights were redundant! :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

game keeper wrote: . . . "However, as far as a viable hunting tool goes, I must confess lever-action rifles have no appeal whatsoever I always prefer a sturdy bolt-action"

With gun writers like this showing their ignorance of history, geography and firearms, its a wonder how they can make a living! . . .

What frustrates me to no end is that a writer's personal opinion stated as Mr. Potts did has such an influential effect on the sheeple readership, the bulk of whom cannot think for themselves and tend to mindlessly follow the herd.

Once in a while an article will sound a bad chord and the readership takes notice and well-deserved umbrage to ill-written words. Does the name Zumbo ring a bell for anyone?

H&R BANG: Congrats on owning a real sleeper levergun! And many thanks for the range report.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Gamekeeper,
I really do not think there are any deserts in the Dakota's
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I guess the dumb writer is not a Western fan. Either that or global warming is really bad in the Dakota's :wink:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That one threw me, I really did not know what to think.
If you want to read an article that makes NO sense at all,
do a search for a 6.5mm Carcano article in Rifle magazine.
I stopped buying Rifle for a while after that one.
Someone was doing too many prescription drugs, or the editor let his dog proof read it!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

mescalero1 wrote:Gamekeeper,
I really do not think there are any deserts in the Dakota's
I think the South Dakota Badlands comes pretty close.

Noah
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Noah,
Really, I have never been there.
It seems the longitude and latitude would preclude a true desert?
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

The Badlands are not quite a "desert" as most people picture it. I've been fortunate to travel through nost of the west and the Badlands might rank worse than a "desert" when it comes to survivability.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

oldgerboy,
Wow, that is interesting.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Mescalero1:

Check out these photos; if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was in UT, AZ or NM, no?

http://www.viaggiaresempre.it/03_BadLands.jpg

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos- ... Park-3.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... dlands.jpg

I have to agree with Oldgerboy, the Dakota Badlands may be worse for survivability.

Noah
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Those pics call to mind the Bisti Badlands up in NW new Mexico. One drives right through them on the way from Albuquerque to Farmington. Those in the pics might be more extensive, but not any more forboding, in my opinion.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yeah, I have to agree; the desert I know looks more hospitable than that.
That looks like the Navajo Res. up by the Uranium mines
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hey Mescalero 1, you mentioned the Sacramentos in another post. Are you headed for either Otero County or Lincoln County when you retire? I have some amigos around that area. Use to live in those parts.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Deserts or Levers, What?

Post by Idiot »

H&R Bang, thanks for the report. I've wanting one of these rifles for a while now. I've just not got around to buying one.

I've heard a number of mixed reviews regarding their accuracy and that may account for a bit of my hesitation. I own its little brother, the 22 long rifle, and like it very much. I've not shot it over a bench, but I've put around 800 rounds through it firing at rocks, cactus, crawling things, etc., and it seems accurate enough. It can bounce water bottle caps around at 20 or more yards all day long. With iron sights, that's good enough for me.

Anyway, keep us informed on this rifle. I expect they'll go out of production soon. It seems that not many have a lot of interest in this firearm. The gun's design is more or less Bill Ruger's tribute to the Savage 99 and since he's now dead, I expect this line will be dead soon as well.

The rifle doesn't attract a lot of attention. Heck, even on this thread folks would rather discuss whether or not SD badlands are an geographically defined desert or not. And if that sleepy topic was all it took to distract from the rifle itself - among levergunners - the rifle doesnt have a chance.

Please keep us posted and have fun.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Otero county, that elk herd we imported in the late 60's is prospering in those mountains.
An undiscovered part of land; don't tell anyone.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Idiot,
Sorry about the tangent,get caught up sometimes
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My regular "long rifle" 96/22 has been able to shoot 10 rounds in a row to hit a 2" gong at 75 yards, without removing the barrel band, though I've thought about a "project" to slim down the forend and remove the band to make it look more "traditional" for a levergun.

It is my most often used gun as an "intro" gun for new shooters, because it is quite, reliable, and HITS reliably. The red-dot sight is a plus on the use for newbies. I want another one just so when a guest is using "mine" I can shoot one too!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

H&R Bang. Got off topic there, sorry. I also have 96/22M and haven't done much with it. Did scope it finally and sight it in, but haven't fooled with it after that. They are what they are and not promoted as a bench rifle, but I believe it has enough practical accuracy to satisfy most folks, except maybe the "teeny-weeny" group guys. Will say it has one slick operating lever and I like the Ruger mag. Expect it will do fine for crows and such here on the place.

What mountains, Mescalero? Nothn' down thataway but desert, gila monsters and Aggies. Never did see such poor country. Don't know how those folks can even get a drink of good water, much less trout fish or hunt anything bigger than a scrawny jackrabbit or mangy-hided coyote. And rough roads! If a feller doesn't have an old Dodge powerwagon, I don't believe he could even get around down there. Man I'm glad I got out of there when I did. Not a minute too soon, I reckon. :roll:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You guys listen to Goatguy,
hard country, only fit for Mescalero & rattlesnakes
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My local Gun dealer in Portsmouth has a brand new Ruger 96 .22M for $687 and I was very tempted but he also had a used Winchester 9422M for $196. So being short of funds I bought the Winchester.

I'm still keen on that design and removable mag. It's a shame Ruger don't make it in .22 Hornet!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Gamekeeper,
In the U.S. the disparity between the two is not that large,
why so in the U.K.?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

mescalero1,

Over here our nanny state government seem to think rim-fire rifles are not suitable for shooting foxes at anything other than short range, whatever that means. So if you wound a fox with a centre-fire rifle the the animal welfare people (RSPCA) can't prosecute you for using an unsuitable rifle! :shock:

It's a simple case of those that know little, telling those that know what's what, how to do things! :roll:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It was you or your fellow Brit that killed a fox with a .17 cal pellet rifle a few weeks back!
Sounds like the same nonsense I dealt with that 5 weeks in Hemel-Hempstead a couple years ago.
The English I worked with were great people, it was the officials that drove me up the wall!