Rossi R92 not cycling 44 mag very well

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
catoctinfalls
Levergunner

Rossi R92 not cycling 44 mag very well

Post by catoctinfalls »

Hey everyone,
I have a pretty new Rossi R92, 44 mag/special. It cycles 44 spl perfectly but 44 magnum rounds get stuck in the cycle. I have to work the lever twice to get rounds in the chamber. The first time, the round goes in at an angle, and the bolt needs to hit it twice to get it in the chamber.
I did take it apart and put it back together once.
Anyone else have this issue?
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Rossi R92 not cycling 44 mag very well

Post by wvfarrier »

I would be the chamber is short. My advice would be to return it for repair.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I don't know, but I don't think Rossi has such a good customer support record. If you send it in for repair, you might not see it again for a LOOOOOONG time. I agree the chamber might be short. I would recommend finding a competent lever gunsmith and pay for the repair yourself. Its not fair, but better than being without the rifle for a long time. If it just needs a chamber reaming and polish, that is pretty simple for a good gunsmith. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

What's the overall length of the .44 mag rounds? If standard factory .44 mag ~ 1.600" then it needs to be fixed. Also the lever should be worked vigorously. My Rossi 92 .44 Mag can be a bit sensitive to bullet shape and OAL but with the right combo it's pretty smooth. Mine hasn't had any work done to it, but I did work the action quite a bit while watching tv for the first week or so I had it.

FWIW,

Paul
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It could very well be the cartridge guides. Give Steve Young a call and talk with him. www.stevesgunz.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:35 am It could very well be the cartridge guides. Give Steve Young a call and talk with him. www.stevesgunz.com
That sounds like what may be going on here.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

too short a chamber? it sounds to me like the round isn't making it into the chamber. misaligned..? if the chamber is too short is the gun then setting the bullet back? that would be dangerous.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Most leverguns like a round flat nose or a truncated cone bullet. Too fat an ogive or too wide a meplat will stick in the chamber where the cartridge needs to make the angle to horizontal attitude change.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:35 am It could very well be the cartridge guides. Give Steve Young a call and talk with him. www.stevesgunz.com
Best thing you can do.

I have an older Interarms import that did something similar. It would feed .38spls just fine but .357s would flip right out of the action.
Steve worked over the cartridge guides and installed a new rear sight. It's worked perfectly ever since, and that was a lot of rounds ago.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:01 am
Best thing you can do.

I have an older Interarms import that did something similar. It would feed .38spls just fine but .357s would flip right out of the action.
Steve worked over the cartridge guides and installed a new rear sight. It's worked perfectly ever since, and that was a lot of rounds ago.

jb 8)
YEP!! Balky feeding in the "92" seems to often be the cartridge guides. When you see how they actually work it is understandable. Steve pointed me in that direction and helped me understand how they work.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Lucky fella, I'd love a 1892 Rossi that feeds 44 specials that well :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The cartridge guides in a '92 action were originally designed for one length cartridges. So the slots in the guide rails are in a fixed position and they function to control the rise of the rim of the cartridge up thru the slots to place it at the necessary horizontal to go into the chamber. With the advent of using two different cartridge lengths, .38Spl/.357Mag and their big brothers the .44s, Rossi had to accommodate that by somewhat lengthening the slots... in effect making them a compromise between the two. There is a method to make them feed both better, but I'm loathe to infringe on NKJs bailiwick and try to describe it... I got lucky with my 2 .38/.357 Rossis, they feed the .38s at speed very well, and if I choose the right bullet, they feed the .357 as long as I work the lever slowly and deliberately. Since my wife & son used these carbines for SASS cowboy matches, the fact that they fed the .38s well, allowed me to ignore how they fed the Magnum length cartridge.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

After considerable tinkering, I had my 92/357 set up exactly the opposite as Griff's- it would run 357 slick at any speed, but you had to slow down with 38s or it would flip them right out on the ground. My 45 Colts on the other hand, ran well with anything I threw at them.

One cartridge length vs two.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.