Sighting In the Rossi 357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Sighting In the Rossi 357

Post by JimT »

Spent a few moments on the range sighting in the Rossi 357 for windage. Since I cut a new dovetail and moved the sight back I wasn't sure where it needed to be. Got it fairly well centered at 25 yards. Will have to go out again and work on the elevation. I may need to order a shorter front sight. I used 2 different loads .. one with 160 gr. cast RNFP and 2400 powder and one with 158 gr. cast SWC and AA#5 powder. Both hit approximately the same place. These 3 shots were with the AA#5 158 gr. SWC load.
IMG_3206.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sighting In the Rossi 357

Post by GunnyMack »

Seems like you are a very handy guy Jim. That being said, why not file the front sight? Take a few strokes and shoot it until you have it zeroed. Its easy and it won't cost you anything :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:12 pm Seems like you are a very handy guy Jim. That being said, why not file the front sight? Take a few strokes and shoot it until you have it zeroed. Its easy and it won't cost you anything :D
It's a Marble's White bead front sight.
Actually, I have a lot of adjustment for elevation on the rear sight and will be able to handle it there I am pretty sure.

EDIT:
IMG_3094.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Looks like it will shoot well. That would whack a cottontail in the head every time, or a grouse, or where ever you wanted to put it on a deer.

You must have pretty decent vision.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ahhhhh now I have the whole story :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:39 pm Looks like it will shoot well. That would whack a cottontail in the head every time, or a grouse, or where ever you wanted to put it on a deer.

You must have pretty decent vision.
Some days I can actually see the sights!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good work, my Trapper works fine and shoots well. Your configuration could be very good. Want to see it at 50 and 100 yds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:06 pm Good work, my Trapper works fine and shoots well. Your configuration could be very good. Want to see it at 50 and 100 yds.
Me too. That's next on the calendar.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Guess I have been snoozing, Jim. Did you just find the rifle? NIB?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Bill, It seems Old Jim has been holdin out on us All, He has some serious talent. :D . https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... c885dff494
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:00 am Guess I have been snoozing, Jim. Did you just find the rifle? NIB?
No sir. Some years ago I was visiting Paco for about a week. During that time he told me he had a rifle that was locked up and he could not get the bolt to close. And he brought out this nice looking but VERY LONG levergun with the bolt back and the lever down. Well, we weren't busy so I grabbed some of his tools and took the gun apart ... figured out what was going on and fixed it. I handed it back to Paco and he played with it for a bit and then handed it back and said, "It's yours."

I brought it home ... worked up some loads for it ... chronographed it ... but I never used it. Too blamed long ... too unwieldy ... too muzzle heavy .. I had lots of gripes. I put it in the back of the safe and sorta forgot about it. This last year I picked up a nice old Ruger Flattop .357 and while playing with it I got to thinking that it needs a levergun with it. But wait! I have one! Except I hate handling it. So I talked to Gary Reeder and I talked to Steve Young and in the end I just got out my hacksaw and file and went to work. I am liking it more and more!
IMG_3179.JPG
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Similar combo.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...