Better than $ in the bank.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCG
Levergunner

Better than $ in the bank.

Post by WCG »

Keep'm clean, dry & serviceable 👍🎯
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Better than $ in the bank.

Post by Sixgun »

You better believe it......I like to say, "better than any 401K plan." By looking at your original '73 I assume you understand the types of guns needed to achieve the status of "better than money in the bank".

Pretty much like the stock market.....you buy the right guns/stocks at the right price and hold on to them you will make some serious money....but unlike stocks, you sell your antique guns (1898 or before) for cash and pay no capital gains....

Imported j.u.n.k. need not apply.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Im.glad I stocked up on reloading supplies
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Original Rogers & Spencer Six?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:32 pm Original Rogers & Spencer Six?
You got it Kid! Cartouched 1865....unfired.....a little blue flaking here and there but not bad considering its 157 years old...the cartouche looks like it was stamped this morning....

WCG
Levergunner

Post by WCG »

Wow 😯 has time changed things in this group.
Sixgun & Ysabel Kid running the show.
Very cool 👍😎👍 guys.
Yes it's been awhile 🙂
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My wife and I used to debate this very topic. Me stating guns were an excellent investment, and she stating the money was better off in retirement accounts. Then back around 20 years ago our investments took a hit when the market took a dive, and the investments she thought were better took a dump.
About the same time I was planning a build of a hotrod, and wanted to sell some of my gun collection to fund it. I sold old guns for 4x-8x what I'd paid for them, and made sure she knew how much I'd made on each one as they sold.
That was the last time she pushed for her idea of investing, and since then it's always been in old guns. We have to take mandatory disbursements this year, so those monies wont get reinvested in where they were either. They'll go into more antique guns, where they'll provide better value, and I'll enjoy the investments more!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Same story here M.M...........but I'm not reinvesting .......I figure at 67 how many good years are left?...it's not as if 80 year old guys are dancing the Irish jig....they are sitting in rocking chairs.......and that's if they are alive........by 80 you better have a positive attitude on life because lots of uncomfortable things happen by then...

Only the good years count...the rest are "existing years".....

I sell a couple of guns a year for play money and I never hold back on spending it.....and my guns are not Rossi's so when I sell them I get a wad of Ben's big enough to choke Nancy Pelosi........I see something, I buy it.....and I don't give a S what it costs. For many years I could not do that.....-----006

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

COPPER AND LEAD
SILVER AND GOLD

ARE ALL BETTER THAN PAPER IN THE BANK THESE DAYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Grizz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:43 pm COPPER AND LEAD
SILVER AND GOLD

I agree Grizz......back when gold was $200 and ounce I never had the money to buy it and now that its (I don't know, 2G's?) I still don't have the money to buy it in any quantity and even if I did, what do you do with it?...sell it for paper money?

I agree on lead and copper......two weeks ago I sold a quarter million primers that I've been saving up since 1981 and got $367 ...in paper money.

Guns and related items are the best in the volatile world we live it......

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:08 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:32 pm Original Rogers & Spencer Six?
You got it Kid! Cartouched 1865....unfired.....a little blue flaking here and there but not bad considering its 157 years old...the cartouche looks like it was stamped this morning....
Oh that is just SWEET!!! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:11 pm

Oh that is just SWEET!!! :mrgreen:
Kid,
If you remembered, about 10 years ago you asked me if I would adopt you as my son....well, the papers have been drawn up and now, you are my son! This all means you can have this stuff as it's only "stuff".

Thanks .....to me, there's nothing like the old guns....this ain't no museum here and everything has a price.....and a fair price that you can sell for the next day to get your money back...easily.....and more as the years go on......---Dad :D

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I recently was offered 220 lbs. of linotype from a guy at our local collector gun show. I've bought a lot from him before and usually ran $1 lb. But this latest batch was $2 lb. But considering the big places like Rotometals charge $4.50 a pound I figured I better grab it regardless.
The way all metals we need are going nuts, I know it's not going to go back down at any time. Besides I've got over a 1000 lbs. of pure lead, and needed the linotype to harden up my pure lead.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:08 pm
Grizz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:43 pm COPPER AND LEAD
SILVER AND GOLD

I agree Grizz......back when gold was $200 and ounce I never had the money to buy it and now that its (I don't know, 2G's?) I still don't have the money to buy it in any quantity and even if I did, what do you do with it?...sell it for paper money?

I agree on lead and copper......two weeks ago I sold a quarter million primers that I've been saving up since 1981 and got $367 ...in paper money.

Guns and related items are the best in the volatile world we live it......
I still don't have the money to buy it in any quantity and even if I did, what do you do with it?...sell it for paper money?
this is a really good question, some of the answers are tricky, and i only understand a couple of them.

say i had a ton of hi-grade bronze, when copper spikes that bronze will be worth more cash than it would bring when copper prices were bouncing along a straight horizontal line. after selling that, if i did, i would resume collecting what i could and storing it for the next opportunity. this is the commodities market.

say i had a ton of copper, and copper prices are racing, BUT the rumors are that the dot gov is going to convert banks to digital currency, which of course bankrupts everyone with cash in a bank, B U T , now i can convert the commodity to digital currency for a potential leg up. O R i can barter the commodity i have for the one i want. barter is always the refuge from command-control economies.

i am trying my hand at a little small plot farming for some fresh produce security, another commodity. even though i don't have a green thumb. my Mom was raised on a farm, maybe i have a gene for that LOL

a long time ago i floated a theory that eventually .22 ammo would be the new normal currency . . .

what do you think about that?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Grizz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 pm this is a really good question, some of the answers are tricky, and i only understand a couple of them.
a long time ago i floated a theory that eventually .22 ammo would be the new normal currency . . .
what do you think about that?
OK Grizz,
In order to go to digital currency EVERYONE needs to be onboard.....it will take an act of congress with the entire world voting it in.
And this is why it will never work:
A.) The poor (which includes many of common working man who work with their hands) do most of their business with cash.....the idea of digital currency would seriously alarm anyone with an IQ under 120.

B.) You can bet your life on the FACT that every congressman, senator, state representative or to simplify it all, ANYONE who makes an annual income of several hundred thousand dollars has a safe somewhere in their house that's LOADED with green American currency, probably from ill gotten gains......the old saying "money makes the world go around" will always run true...with digital currency all that goes away.

Hoarding semi precious metals such as brass makes a little sense but not much.....in the quantities you and I can accumulate will only add up to a couple of weeks worth of groceries.

In times of extreme peril, most of us will probably be dead or our lives will be severely curtailed so that means the very best thing to have is guns of any kind along with their related items that make the guns go bang. Along with guns but less important is food because without guns you can bet your butt that SOMEBODY who does not live with you knows you have food and information like that travels fast.

Pretend your sitting on a couple of pounds of gold. It's only good during peacetime and who do you sell it to? Dealers in gold will be connected to the law. If martial law is declared the Feds will just take your s.hit if they know you have gold. It's already been done in the 1930's when every citizen was required to turn in their gold, excepting small items such as some jewelry.

It all boils down to one thing.....money ...guns/ammo and food...with guns and food leading the way.

If the world ever got that bad, I don't think I would want to be in it, except to protect and take care of the ones I love....other than that I'd put it all in a big pile and light it up.------006

And of course, fuel......as of now I have a hundred gallons of gas and 40 gallons of diesel......as I have a well and a pond out back water is of little concern...... for

[/quote]

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sounds reasonable Six, but do you really think that you will have any choice when the switch to all digital currency happens? no one is gonna ask us. everyone does NOT have to be onboard "congress" is a co-conspirator in enabling dictatorships. but the end note to this is that the Bible says that such a thing will happen, without our prior knowledge or consent. .

NO ONE ASKED US if we wanted America's economy crippled. businesses shut down. no one asked us of we wanted half the population shot up with a 'sperimental substance. they just went about exterminating around a million people and no one asked our permission or opinion. that's just how it goes.

the marxists aren't asking our permission, they are just implementing marxism. doesn't matter to them if anyone is on board or not, so far.

been fun, eh? :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...that I agree on.......on jamming the Marxism down our throats.....but..have you noticed lately people have been pushing back? It's catching on......even an everyday regular black guy was on Fox saying the Dems are only using them for votes and THATS catching on too......Dems really fear losing the black vote.....

Many in the military and health care field refused the jab......NOW, more people are educated to the sneakiness of government and will be better prepared the next time around. Notice the gas pump stickers? They are put on by both sides.

I believe most people cannot be fooled in the long run...dem or rep.....common sense still dictates......all forms of Marxism have come at a time when very few people were eating...or knew of the culminative effects of Marxism/communism........we do now.....so as long as we are eating and have guns it will just be business as usual which is a constant fight for freedom.

We desperately need to keep our young informed of the dangers of power hungry communists like HRC.

Trump was having a rally tonight in S.C.....loved it....lets hope the Good Lord gives him the proper guidance and an easy win in 2024.

Either way, something is going to give in the next 10-20 years.....there's too many people and only so much food ......and spaces for that food to grow....006

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmm...digital currency....they would do it NOW if they could get away with it as the Elitists have probably already figured out a way to stash ill gotten gains while we will be accountable for every dime...........and every dime due to taxes...........it will bring in billions more in taxes for sure.......

But...mankind is a very inventive creature when it comes to "necessity is the Mother of invention". Today's Vanderbuilts and Rockefellers will get away with it for decades until it trickles down to the lower classes........but by then there will not be a world as John Dutton said on "Yellowstone", the Earth is going to shed us like dead skin.....

I never could understand why some people need control over others........hell, I never even tried to control my kids. I just guided them and led by example and they both turned out better than me.......

Our economy is far from crippled...may be a bubble but it's not crippled......when I was a kid in the sixties there was one car per family and I grew up in a solid middle class neighborhood.........today, kids are driving to school in Mercedes Benzes and wear clothes that costs as much as my first car.....

Dunno Grizz....it's gonna be interesting.....ain't much we can do except not to let our guard down.....and vote..I despise spending all of my time thinking about something I can't control.....that's coming anyway......

When Trump lost the election I made a lot of comments about never voting again......I was mad......I've gotten over that and fully intend to vote....----006

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...we desperately need to keep our young informed of the dangers..."

THIS.

It is a task way too many Baby Boomers are failing. Too many of our classmates have spent all their time just accumulating stuff and treating the world as their playground, but have neglected to do ANYTHING to meaningfully influence their kids and grandkids. The best they can do seems to be to complain how liberal their grandkids are (maybe if they'd focused on raising their grandkids' parents they wouldn't have such screwed-up grandkids). I feel sympathy to some extent, but sheez, didn't they know you can't just let government and universities raise your kids...?

Fortunately there ARE lots of good kids out there and maybe enough to keep the Republic.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

you guys think right and make good reading thanks for mulling this over