OT- Mossberg bolt action shotgun reliability?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

OT- Mossberg bolt action shotgun reliability?

Post by Bitmap »

I bought a Mossberg bolt action 20 ga. a while back. I think it is a 385K. It was very clean. The wood and metal both were original and in great shape. I paid $75 for it out the door. I tried it out and found that it didn't feed well from the two round magazine. I couldn't put two rounds in it and insert it in the receiver if the bolt was closed. If I opened the bolt I could insert the loaded two rounder and close the bolt on it. I bought another mag online and tonight I tried it out.

The same story as the mag that came with the gun!! With the new mag I still can't insert a loaded mag with the bolt closed. If I insert the loaded mag into the gun with the bolt open and push the shells down to close the bolt over them, then when I cycle the bolt the top round pops out of the mag and out of the top of the gun.

Anyone else have experience with these? Are they all unreliable? Did I just get unlucky with the two mags or should I just plan on this being a single shot with a built-in spare ammo carrier?

Thanks for your input.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bitmap,
I have had two Mossberg bolt actions in 12GA, one was brand new the other was quite well worn. I never had a problem with either.
I bought the old one after the UK law changed the rules on removable magazines on shotguns, so it had to have the magazine fixed in place and checked by the proof house. :roll: but I still could load one in the chamber and two in the mag.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bitmap,
If my memory serves me right, I think sometimes a shell would pop out of the action if I used a shorter than usual shell and the bolt pushed it forward in the mag. when closing the action. Always make sure the shells are well back in the mag.

I have had that problem too with a .410 spanish copy of the Mossberg.

I hope you get it feeding OK. I always wanted one in 20GA.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

If my memory serves me right, I think sometimes a shell would pop out of the action if I used a shorter than usual shell and the bolt pushed it forward in the mag. when closing the action. Always make sure the shells are well back in the mag.
These are 2 3/4 inch shells and it is marked 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch on the barrel. I have only tried this one brand and type of shell so maybe a different brand will work better.

I also need to take a close look at the shells in the mag to make sure I am getting the rims behind the little guide that is pressed into the sides of the mag.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I never played with those Mossberg bolt guns

If this was mine... double check the lips and top edges of the magazine... if they are bent or deformed you could get a hang up... If you can find a 'good' one to look at for comparison things may be apparent.
Make sure the follower rides in the box right too.
Spring... weak springs cause mag failures .

These are common problems in pistol mags... maybe they symptoms translate to the Mossberg?

Hill