1894 Winchester 38-55 Bore Size?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hanz
Levergunner

1894 Winchester 38-55 Bore Size?

Post by Hanz »

My Uncle just purchased an older original Winchster 1894 in 38-55 and I'm wondering what the bore may measure.

I've scrounged up a old Lyman 37584 mould and I guess I'd like to use it if at all possible.

Sorry I don't have photos of the lever, she's still at the gun shop. It's a round barrel (26'?) with .... :oops: I can't remember what style magazine. I think it's a full length. She's not the nicest to look at but she sure feels good to hold.

I'll try and get some photos and share them.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hanz,

I own two Winchester 1894 rifles in .38-55 dating from the early 1920's, Both rifles have bores measuring .379. Your uncle's gun will likely slug the same.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The 38-55 is famous for having a variety of bore sizes. I have two vintage Model 1894's in 38-55. One was received in the warehouse in 1899 and has a groove diameter of .381 and the other was made in 1907 and has a groove diameter of .379. Some have groove diameters of .382. The only way to know for sure is to pound a piece of soft lead through your bore with a wooden doweling and then measure the diameter of the slug.
Hanz
Levergunner

Post by Hanz »

Thanks Cimarron Red & Kirk D!

I guess the mould I found won't do. I'll have to keep on digging.

I'll be sure not to pound on the rifle in front of my Uncle :wink:

Thanks again,

Doug
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

38/55

Post by hfcable »

my 94 was made in 1895 and the bore is just between 379 and 380; shoots 379 lead fine, but shoots the 'barnes original old style' .377 soft jacket very, very well. those bullets expand well on game but also drop big caribou easily.
cable
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

My 38-55 takedown was made in 1927 and has a bore size of .379
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Date of manufacture has absolutely no bearing on the bore size. My brother and I have 3 M94 Winnies and they ALL have bores of .380 to .382 including the one made in 1979.
The cowboy CAS gang have been having a H377 of a time with the Marlin M 95's "oversized bores". Instead of learning how to load for them they whine and send them back to Marlin. Marlin's been real good to them tho.
Better'n I'd be.
It seems that both companies used the original design drawings when building the newer rifles.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Hanz wrote:Thanks Cimarron Red & Kirk D!

I guess the mould I found won't do. I'll have to keep on digging.

I'll be sure not to pound on the rifle in front of my Uncle :wink:

Thanks again,

Doug
I have my son hold the rifle suspended by its barrel so that the wood is not taking the shock. The lead is pounded through, using a dowelling as the punch and a plastic hammer to do the pounding. There's no need to actually pound on the rifle itself.