336RC w/straight stock is it factory or modified ? PIC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

336RC w/straight stock is it factory or modified ? PIC

Post by neil mitchell »

Just picked this up this A.M. and if someone straightened the lever and lower tang they did a good job.Stock fits perfect also.It's a 1952 model.
So, is this factory or did Bubba do it?

Neil
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/ ... 0_1071.jpg[/img][/img]
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Neil,

From your picture, I'd say that's a factory straight stocked carbine. The bend in the lever looks like a bit of damage by impact.

That's an interesting old carbine. Let us know how it shoots when you try it out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Joe ,I plan on shooting it today and will report back.
Neil
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Looks factory to me. Please send it to me for further evaluation :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's more than you'd think, to simply "straighten" a Marlin pistol grip lower tang.

Ya see, Marlin's lower tang isn't a thin, curved item, that could be easily heated & bent straight.

That Marlin's lower tang is actually built up for the curved pistol grip, and is a lot thicker than a straight-grip tang - with the tang screw hole being a blind hole, D/T'd from above.
As a matter of fact, both use the same length tang screws.

PG guns are easily converted to straight-grip (and vice-versa), but the lower tang must be replaced, in addition to the lever & stock work.

Guess where the serial number is, on older Marlins.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Dave wrote:Looks factory to me. Please send it to me for further evaluation :D
+1 :mrgreen:!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:Guess where the serial number is, on older Marlins.
I'll play along...where is the serial on older Marlins?:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

awp101 wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:Guess where the serial number is, on older Marlins.
I'll play along...where is the serial on older Marlins?:lol:
On some its under the lever on the lower tang. Right where you need to remove metal to make it a straight grip. It also means ATF might think an old trigger plate is a firearm & sometimes they are hard to get. A new one would work anyway & the serial number is on the side of the top tang too, covered by the stock .

That 52 is old enough it might be at the front edge of the trigger plate by the forend. I forget when they changed it.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

That looks like a 1st variation 336 "Texan". The early ones had a fluted comb, but they weren't introduced until 1954 "L" and Marlin didn't d&t the top of the receivers until 1957 "R".

I think Marlin put a ramped & hooded front sight on around the 1957-1959 period.

The Texan's also had a square lever, so this may be a "bubba-gun".
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Where is the serial number? Weren't the early gun numbered onthe lower tang?

TomF
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Neil,

I picked up a 336 RC made in 1952 the other day also. It looks exactly like yours. S/N J242xx. I got lucky as it is in 90% or better condition. FYI, the lever on mine is the same as yours. The top of the receiver should also have serrations and it should not be D&T'd for a scope. I just got around to taking it apart yesterday and it is on the shop bench right now.

Bruce
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I found one just like yours a few years ago, in 35 Remington. Someone at another website told me it was an early Texan model, with fluted comb and round, not square, lever. There are a couple of others like this that I have seen around my town--owned by farmers and deer hunters who are not particularly into guns, except to take them out of the closet when they need to. I'd have to say that what you have probably came from the factory in its present configuration.
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks everyone for the info.
The serial number is on the lower tang and on the side of the upper tang. The rounded lever is what made me think it was modified.
I shot it yesterday and it shoots good.I also did some cold blueing and a little stock work on it. It's looking better!

Neil

[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/ ... 0_1074.jpg[/img][/img]
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

I really like my 336's, both the early and later ones but THAT is my idea of the perfect 336. Many years back I "bubba'd" a rough 336RC for my sons by trimming the forearm like a Win 94 and adding a solid Decelerator pad with a 1/2" shorter length of pull with slightly slimmed down wood. It's still a favorite even though the boys are well grown. I personally like the Marlin actions a bit more than the Win 94's and a Marlin that handles like a Winchester would seem to me to be the best of both worlds. I believe you have it. Now I want one.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just bought a 1964 rounded lever Texan (.35 Rem) and my 1972 Texan (.30 WCF) has the squared lever.

My question to anyone is, "why do you think it has been altered?" It would be relatively easy to swap one back and forth with a trigger plate, lever and stock of the other type (whichever you start with). Yes folks have done that. But, if that is what you wanted... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson