POLL - Separate Classifieds Forum?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Do you want a separate "Classifieds" forum

Poll ended at Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:04 am

Yes
78%
No
14%
Don't know and/or don't care
9%

Total votes: 80
Hobie

POLL - Separate Classifieds Forum?

Post by Hobie »

Would you guys like a separate "classifieds" forum for all items for sale, wanted to trade, wanted to buy, auction alerts, etc.?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I feel it would be a good idea for a separate forum it would sure make it easier to keep track of and would save on having all the FS, WTT, WTB on the main forum.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Yes!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's a pretty good question.

We do seem to have a lot of WTS, WTT, WTB, threads and they do get spread out a bit.

With the exception of this forum and the style that the Frontier Six Shooter forum runs under, all the other forums I belong to have separate sections for the classifieds. And separate sections for this and that. To the point that you have many many separate sections for every thing. And it gets to be a pain to dig through them.

To be honest I like the open set up we have here and at our regular forum. It's very easy to use. At least for me.

If we go to a separate classifieds section, will that set the precedent for more and more separate sections?
I guess that's what I"m afraid of.

So .... I'm gonna vote no.

Joe
sanchez
Levergunner

seperate candy store

Post by sanchez »

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah. I'd be looking every morning ... even for stuff I don't need .... err, need? okay, don't have 8)
the rifleman knew what he was doing
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

J Miller wrote:That's a pretty good question.

We do seem to have a lot of WTS, WTT, WTB, threads and they do get spread out a bit.

With the exception of this forum and the style that the Frontier Six Shooter forum runs under, all the other forums I belong to have separate sections for the classifieds. And separate sections for this and that. To the point that you have many many separate sections for every thing. And it gets to be a pain to dig through them.

To be honest I like the open set up we have here and at our regular forum. It's very easy to use. At least for me.

If we go to a separate classifieds section, will that set the precedent for more and more separate sections?
I guess that's what I"m afraid of.

So .... I'm gonna vote no.

Joe
Joe,

The way I see it is if we have a separate "Classifieds" section it provides an environment in which folks can offer legal items for sale or trade in a "mind your own business" type of format. Those who aren't interested in buying or selling can ignore it, those looking for a bargain or a need can peruse it at their leisure. Those looking to offer items would not suffer the indignity of folks poking their nose in and saying "Midway's got it cheaper" and such. And I believe that this is the only "division" necessary on this forum. Get the business out of the daily chit chat and leave it at that.

In other words, there's no need for a
"Rimfire Winchester Leverguns"
"Centerfire Winchester Leverguns"
"Rimfire Marlin Leverguns"
"Centerfire Marlin Leverguns"
"Other Longarms"
"Five Shot Single Action Revolvers"
"Five Shot Double Action Revolvers"
etc, etc, etc

If I understand Hobie's poll correctly, the idea is whether or not to remove the "commercial" items to a separate category and thus prevent the intrusion of third parties into business transactions.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes Paul and it would make them easier to find.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like having them in the body of the forum as well. It's not like we have too many... :wink:
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I'm lazy...and only want to look at one forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

I guess I'm more for it than against. I do kinda feel like when we went to two services before we built a bigger church...
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AmBraCol,

I get it, I just don't want this forum to end up like the others.

And I'm not naive enough to believe those who aren't interested in buying and selling won't stick their noses in anyway.

Although we could make it a policy that those not buying or selling keep their mouths shut. Like jhrosier mentioned about another forum he's on:
I belong to another forum that has very strict rules about interfering with a classified ad sale. Basically, if you are not the buyer or seller, you are not allowed to post unsolicited comments about the transaction. ......<snip>
If that were done, I'd go with it.

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like to see it all right here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK AmBraCol, I see your point.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I prefer it on the regular forum
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I kind of like the idea of a separate section for the classifieds. If I don't see them, I won't be tempted.
Well done is better than well said.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ok - Who voted 20X ? :lol: :lol: :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:Ok - Who voted 20X ? :lol: :lol: :wink:
I want to know why the other 100 views didn't vote. :wink: This is to get an opinion so at least vote.
Sincerely,

Hobie

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:Ok - Who voted 20X ? :lol: :lol: :wink:
I want to know why the other 100 views didn't vote. :wink: This is to get an opinion so at least vote.
Even a "I could care less" vote helps get an idea on public opinion. And Pete? You have to be signed in in order to vote. And since you're signed in the computer knows who you are. If you vote once, only the computer knows. If you attempt to vote twice the computer makes a note of it and then sends your e-mail address out to forty-eleven-million spammers.

:lol: :lol:

Well, not really, but it will only allow you one vote per user name. 8)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have not tried to buy or sell anything yet,but I think it might be a good idea to separate them and make it easier to watch items. YES!!

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I voted, yes. I'd like to have a seperate forum for classifieds. I think it would simplify finding things that are offered.
Old Law Dawg
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I'd like to see a separate classifieds forum so that the items for sale trade etc. don't get snowed under by the regular posts. However... that's the only separate forum I'd vote for. I enjoy all of the OT posts, range reports, new guns, tech questions etc. etc. The collection of various types of posts and open discussion is what gives the Leverguns forum it's sense of community and I'd hate to see that be fragmented and lost.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

cnjarvis wrote:I'd like to see a separate classifieds forum so that the items for sale trade etc. don't get snowed under by the regular posts. However... that's the only separate forum I'd vote for. I enjoy all of the OT posts, range reports, new guns, tech questions etc. etc. The collection of various types of posts and open discussion is what gives the Leverguns forum it's sense of community and I'd hate to see that be fragmented and lost.

I think you get the idea we're looking at. The OT stuff has its charm. Keeping the FS, FT, WTB, etc. in one place gives the "wheelers and dealers" a better way of doing so - and keeps nosey folk from posting opinions on something that's for sale.

A plethora of sub forums would kill the leverguns spirit. There's plenty of subdivided places out there for folks who like that atmosphere. The more laid back nature of leverguns is what gives it that special charm.
Paul - in Pereira

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I voted yes just because it might negate the need for repeated bumps on the regular forum.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

I vote to seperate them as I think it would make finding stuff for sale, trade, give away, etc, easier. Most forums have a classified section.
Zack
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I think its a great idea as long as its just one. Like Joe said, in my experience if you have 20 classified forums I tend to not look at any. Here I catch most for sale stuff because its in my face & I think it would be fine with ONE classified forum. But I'm easy anyway, so whatever happens is pretty much ok by me.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I voted for a new classifieds forum because I like the idea of keeping chat and business separate, and it will make finding items easier in both.

Jack
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

jhrosier wrote:I voted for a new classifieds forum because I like the idea of keeping chat and business separate, and it will make finding items easier in both.

Jack
My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better.
Mark Wilson
Levergunner

Post by Mark Wilson »

I am satisfied with the mixed format. I check this forum at about a dozen times a day and it is much easier to just search the latest posts since my last visit. As opposed to searching one forum and then searching another sub-forum.

Then again I am just happy to have this forum. And will gladly deal with what ever is the final decision. :|
Mark Wilson

Roswell, New Mexico Land of Enchantment
Wake up and smell the coffee.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

I like the forum the way it is.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm not certain, but I think you'll be able to link to a "View Posts Since Last Visit" page. I do that now.

http://sixshootercommunity.com/levergun ... d=newposts

You only see posts from the one forum because we only have one forum. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I voted "YES"
AQHA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lots of views. You who have not voted, please do so!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I think a seperate column for the classifieds is way past due.
It would keep the stuff where it could be found without having to search back thru dozens of pages of threads, and it would keep all the for sale stuff out of the way of discussion of shooting the junk thats for sale. :lol:
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Yes. I'm for all for it!

Dennis.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Yes. It'll save me some time and an extra search. Also, it means less pages of posts to go through in the general area.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And, at the risk of sounding, well... er... uhhh... prissy, how 'bout separate ones for jokes and political commentary not dealing with leverguns. If it deals with leverguns, I consider it on topic and happily review and comment on same.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I'd like to see a seperate forum for classifieds.

I like Griff's suggestion for another for off topic stuff that is not levergun, firearm or hunting related.

I think most here are very like-minded and so most of the non-levergun firearm-related stuff is quite compatible. Like muzzleloaders, single shots and sixguns.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I voted Yes, it might be easier to find FS items, but I enjoy just going to one forum.