The 30-30 of Legend still slays large Game (PICS)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Seems like I need to see how my 30-30s shoot with 170gr bullets. Especially when mooses are around.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

Jaguarundi wrote:from South Africa
I want to know what he did to the stock on that rifle.
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Nath wrote:The big red is the one I have told about that came looking for me!
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... 30deer.jpg[/img][/img]
Nath,

I've never read that story, but would be very interested to. Would you please re-post it here?

Here in upstate NY, although not common we have had reported attacks of Whitetail Bucks on humans during the rut. A few years ago a school bus driver I know was attacked by a rutting buck as he entered his car on his way to work early one morning. The buck head down rammed the car door repeatedly until he knocked himself out at which time the school bus driver exited the car and went back to his house retrieved a 12 gauge and finished the buck off.

Some great pictures in this thread and proof that the old Model 94 30/30 is still a very useful modern rifle/cartridge combination. Some never doubted it would be... :D :D :D
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sure clubkey, it was during the rut and I walked between him and his hinds in thick timber. I had not seen them but knew it was the area they hung out. My coat stunk of deer pee at the time on purpose and sure enough he grunted me from down wind and ran away only to come out on the path I was on lower down from me. I just thought that when he makes my form he'll be off but no he kept grunting and slowly advancing. By the time he was down to 15yds the marlin was levelled on him. I realised that that was far to close should he charge and I was foolish to let him get that close so I put one in the front of his neck when he lifted his head to ensure a stopper. It dropped him good but did not kill him there and then allthough it would not of taken long, any way I used a Buck special through the ribs after I made sure he could not spike me.
The bullet was a Speer 150 and it smashed his neck and it self to bits and was lodged in his thick skin on the back of his neck, I was impressed really considering the bone and flesh mass it had dealt with.
Boy did we have some fun getting him out. 20 stone for 300yds slightly uphilll=3hrs. And yes whilst he bled out I choked up some.
Nath
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Nath,

Thank you Sir! Great story and one I bet you'll never forget. 8)
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

I didn't know that a .30-30 ever stopped killing game?! :?
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nath,a wild hunting story about the stag :D ! Some kinda nerve to use Doe's Urine as Cologne :lol: ! :twisted: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Does urine is wonderfull stuff. Keeps kids away and stops the current Mrs N from getting to close :wink: ( It does not smell to bad, the buck/stags does though!)
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Well this doesn't help me at all!

Post by Rifleman336 »

I'm debating wheater to stay with my .30-30 and now I come across this! :? :x

Now I know of the story that Paco tells of a young man at the turn of the century killing a grizz with his .30-30. But my father came across a picture in some hunting magazine ( he could remember what magazine other than it was a few years ago) where a hunter going after other game shot and killed an attacking grizz. Anybody elese know of anyone succsefully taking big bear with a .30-30? Pictures?

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Here is another roe doe. First hole made at sixtyish and the second hole was made at 80ish. Kinder pleased how close they are together :)
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

These look like turdy-turdy's:

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I suspect that the .30-30 is as good as it ever was.

It is not the gun but the men behind the gun that have diminished over the years.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

Bagtic i fully agree with your statement. I think back in the day when food was scarce and it was about feeding your family back on the homestead, one would have made certain the bullet was placed where it should be for a proper and quick kill and a few months food supply didn't scamper off wounded or not hit at all.
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nath nice followup on that doe :D !Thanks for posting 8) !
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

30/30

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Yep, it does kill like a legend and will continue to down here in New Zealand as well...

Dont need no big scope with expensive glass, dont need no 3000 fps - (like the Lada ads) - just gun!

A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Welcome aboard Carlsen! They grow your deer funny down there, our's up here have their heads facing forward.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I read (here maybe) that they will kill anything up to a T Rex out to 500 yds. Shoots flat to 300 yds - then it climbs a bit -; but only the pre 64, presafety, non rebounding hammer models and certainly not with any red plastic tip ammo. :) And - it must have iron sights.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the forum Carlson Highway. My granddad was from Dunedin. Nice to have another Kiwi on board. (I'm from Richmond).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well Griff I never had you down as a Kiwi! Welcome Carlsen, looks like you bust his neck up some? What the story and load?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Hey, Old Savage--you must have heard right about the 30-30! Now go and tell that fellow Californian of yours who posted a few weeks back about it being not enough for deer in California, that the 30-30 will even work on the armorplated deer that roam in his own back yard. :P :P :) :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

jl - it is all about impact velocity if the bullet hits the right place. Doesn't matter what it comes out of. I don't know how a californian would know, no one here uses them that I have seen. All pointy bullets and scoped bolts out here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One friend did use a 30-30 and cast bullets just to do it on antelope. It worked fine.

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

30/30

Post by Carlsen Highway »

That red deer was shot in a sort of gully filled with fern and did a couple of rolls ending up like that...not exactly a safari photograph pose. After three wet miserable days sneaking through the Fiordland bush I found three stags.
The rifles a 1952 model 94. Honest wear on the outside but the bores in great shape and she shoots well with the Lyman 66 sight, with handloads I can shoot 2 inch groups off a bench at 100 yards and the rifle may do better than that if I had scope. (Which I do not. And will not either - I am an iron sights fan.)
The .30/30 kills red stags just fine and I only use 150 grainers so far.
Richmond ay....it's a small small world...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Welcome aboard Carlsen Highway :D !What a great first post!You will fit in fine on this forum.I (like many other members)prefer ironsights also. 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote:Well Griff I never had you down as a Kiwi!
Nath.
Yep, Mom went on a "walk-about" and never went back, (except for short visits). Kinda glad she drug my carcass along! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

jlchucker wrote:Hey, Old Savage--you must have heard right about the 30-30! Now go and tell that fellow Californian of yours who posted a few weeks back about it being not enough for deer in California, that the 30-30 will even work on the armorplated deer that roam in his own back yard. :P :P :) :lol:
Works just fine in Ohio for this Girl 8) Image
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

How about New Hampshire :D Image
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

This 12 year old girl didn't realize the limits of 30-30 on this 4x4 Blacktail 8) Image
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

This OKIE did OKAY :lol: ! Image
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

That just goes to show ya what you can do with a 30/30 magnum :shock:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Win94 wrote: I think back in the day when food was scarce and it was about feeding your family back on the homestead, one would have made certain the bullet was placed where it should be for a proper and quick kill
That's how I was raised. Started with a Benjamin .22 on ground squirrels when I was about 8 or 9. Then a .410 on jackrabbits when I was 10 or 11. Then went to a Lever .22 on ground squirrels and more jackrabbits - headshots didn't waste any meat on the rabbits.

Fresh wild rabbit tastes good when cooked right.

A 30-30, like some other Lever rounds, brings the hunt, and enjoyment of nature, back to making meat. Using a Lever to get your deer,or whatever, is stress relief.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Rifleman336, The late Howard Copenhaver a outfitter from Orvando, MT. who hunted the Bob Marshall wilderness with a 25/35 winchester shot moose, elk, deer, black & grizzly bears. He wrote 4 books about his adventures with pic's. I saw a grizzly sow that was shot with a singleshot 410 with the wad stuck in her nose, rancher thought it was a skunk in the henhouse. Its where you hit them not so much as with what you use. The first Glacier Park Ranger 1910 era killed 2 huge grizzlies with a stevens singleshot 22 to the ear that ranger also when up San Juan hill with Teddy. danny