My 219 Zipper went to the range today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
johnly
Levergunner 1.0

My 219 Zipper went to the range today

Post by johnly »

I looked for a nice Marlin 336 219 Zipper for many years, and finally found a nice one a few months back.

I formed a batch of cases from once fired Hornady 30-30 cases, trimmed them to length, then annealed the neck and shoulder area. Selected a few loads from various old reloading manuals, and one from Ken Waters book and loaded up a small batch of ammo. I had some work related travel that interupted my range time, but today I had the time and nice weather so I packed up the Zipper and off to the range I went.

I started off with a load of 23.0 of AA2015 with a 46 grain Winchester HP, as it was one used in factory loads. The load shot well, with a back to back pair of 3 shot groups measuring under an inch. I was feeling good, as I next tried a Water's reccommended load of 26.0 grains of 4064 with a 50 grain Remington PLHP. This load delivered a wonderful 5 shot group that measured under 5/8". I had another rifle and loads to try out, so I decided to conclude shooting the Zipper on this high note.

Needless to say, the long seach for this rifle was well worth the wait.

John
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sounds neat! What range were you shooting at? It would be cool to see pics of the Marlin and some ammo as well, being as I haven't ever seen one.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Fantastic shooting. That rifle is a definite in a class by itself!! I would like to see a pic or 2 also!!! Thanks for posting!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have not seen one but I always my eyes peeled to be sure! What was the last year of production? Congrats to you. Thanks. 1886.
johnly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by johnly »

Mine is a U prefix, so it's a 1961 production which is the last year that Marlin produced them. Production of Marlin Zippers started in the mid-50's, but only a little over 3000 were produced.

I'll try to get some pictures up later this week.

John
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet reloads in a classic. :D I missed out buying a 1960 vintage in 1991.The rifle was in the gunshop for 6 months and well I snoozed and lost :cry: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
johnly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by johnly »

Here's a picture of the rifle:

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php/ph ... user/23473

and here's a picture if the group it shot on its first trip to the range:

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php/ph ... user/23473

John