Price on a 30-30 Marlin, model 336

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Hi gang,

I recently found a nice old Marlin, 30-30, "pistol grip" model, manufactored in 1965 (I think--do you still subtract the first 2 numbers in the serial number from 2000 to determine this?), no cross bolt safety, very smooth action, cheap "throwaway" scope, minor "bumps" on the receiver (as if it had at one time banged against a car door), has a sling (will have to fill the hole just behind the "Marlin target" insert), for $200.

It seems like this is an "OK" deal. What do you all think?
Trooper Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, instead of asking everybody what they think of the price, I'd be bragging to them on what a deal I got and posting pics of my new rifle.

J :wink: e

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pics ??? Range report??? :wink:
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

If it were me, I'd get it. I seriously doubt there are many good condition centerfire rifles in any flavor floating around for $200 anymore.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

meanc wrote:If it were me, I'd get it. I seriously doubt there are many good condition centerfire rifles in any flavor floating around for $200 anymore.
There are, but they were made in Yugaslovia(sp) back in the day. 8)

I would have snatched that Marlin up in my grubby hands. Nothing left but a price tag gently foating to the ground, like in cartoons. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe is right. That's a good deal and... where's the pics? :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Thanks guys,

I am picking it up in the next couple of days.

All I needed was a little reinforcement.

It has the early slim forearm and seems like it is in real nice shape. As usual, I am sure it was carried in the woods (two generations) a lot more than it was shot.

I won't have to use up one of my six (I think) left over, Clyde Ludwig's cross bolt safety mods on this rifle.

Was I correct on determining date of manufacture?

Thanks again,

Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would run, do not pass go and grab that rifle in a New York second!!! Great price!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

ATTABOY :D !Give that puppy a home 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Well gang,

I just picked up the rifle this morning. It is a little shelf worn, hardly shot at all, made in 1979 (not 1965 like I first thought), very smooth action, and very accurate (first shot sent a can at about 30 yards about 50 feet in the air/good enough for me).

I picked this up while traveling on business in northern Maine. Went to Wally World for some cleaning gear and will be having lots of fun with this tonight in my hotel room.

(Have to sneak it in and out of the hotel under a blanket since the seller did not have a "politically correct" case.)

Thanks for the moral support on the purchase.

PS Don't have a digital camera with me so the pics will have to wait. Its just a nice old 336 with a few dings, slim front wood, pistol grip and a sling (guess I will leave the rear sling mount in the wood/just behind the target insert that way I won't have a hole in the stock).

Will be taking the Simmons scope (yuk) off tonight and contacting a local gunsmith for some filler screws. Maybe I will give the scope (complete with the weird see through mounts) to my grandson.
Trooper Joe
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Congratulations! Sounds like a nice rifle. I would get a cheap case for it as you may run into unwanted trouble being uncased.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They were asking $300 or better at the show today.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Well, It's not a good deal for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You got there first ,
Dadgummit !!!!!!

Looking GOOD :D ..MUTT
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Hobie wrote:They were asking $300 or better at the show today.
Hobie and gang,

Interesting. In February, at a gun show near Ft. Meyers, FL, Marlins were all over $500 for new and $350 - $400 for used. This was just after the Remington buyout scare. I think there was a bit of profiteering going on however.

These old Marlins are just nice old north woods guns. Last fall in Northern Michigan, I picked up a similar deal on a 336, cal. 35 Remington, made in the 50s.

I'll keep this one until I run across a more pristine sample in the future. (Or I may just keep it since it reminds me of the North Maine woods.)

The scope is off and it already looks better. (Only thing is, I probably will not be able to shoot it as good without the scope.) Sort of thinking of a Ghost Ring sight set up like on my .357 Mag., 94 Marlin.
Trooper Joe
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice deal and congrats :D !Post Pictures please :wink: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."