256 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tuco Tom
Levergunner

256 Winchester

Post by Tuco Tom »

I have a Ruger Hawkeye and forming dies to covert 357 Mag cases into 256 Winchester. Has anyone rebarreled a levergun to 256 Winchester?
The 357 Mag Model 92 I have sometimes has a hard time feeding the round depending on bullet type. I think a 256 Winchester would be interesting.
Any thoughts on this subject??????
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

There was a Marlin leveramtic in 256 in the paper a couple months back. It didn't last long . I thought about converting a Marlin 94 to 256 or just getting a 25-35 . That's farther down the list of things.

Good Luck!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think Steve Young did one 92 to .256. I'd like one... Just because.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I KNEW A FELLOW WHO CONVERTED A MODERN MARLIN '94 IN 25-20 TO 256MAG WITH THE JUDICIOUS APPLICATION OF A CHAMBERING REAMER. THAT WAS ALL AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHAMP.
GEORGE PASSED AWAY RECENTLY AND WE WILL BE HAVING HIS MEMORIAL ON JUNE 5, 2008.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Yes, I have seen a winchester 92 converted in them. Of course you have to be carefull of pointed bullets. I also had a hawkeye. Ear ringer! I then had a beautifull martini built up in one. Now, all I have is a T/C contender barrel in one. Love that caliber! I have been on the lookout for that model 60 marlin lever in one! Somebody is missing a bet on not building a gun in one!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Here is my T/C in .256 mag. It is the scoped barrel above. Have a .410/45 colt barrel mounted in the picture. I belive this to be about 1970 production. I added the .256 barrel. It came in a huge factory mahogany factory case in the 45/.410 barrel. Had it since about 1972.

Last edited by bogus bill on Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:I KNEW A FELLOW WHO CONVERTED A MODERN MARLIN '94 IN 25-20 TO 256MAG WITH THE JUDICIOUS APPLICATION OF A CHAMBERING REAMER. THAT WAS ALL AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHAMP.
GEORGE PASSED AWAY RECENTLY AND WE WILL BE HAVING HIS MEMORIAL ON JUNE 5, 2008.
Terry,

Sounds like George had good taste. Please express our condolences to his family if you can.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I have a Marlin Levermatic. The Marlin chamber is long and case life is short. The way the Levermatic locks up you must full length re-siz - actualy very close to it in order for action to lock closed. Good rifle, poor chamber.

Greg Mushial at GMDR had a Marlin Model 94 in .256. His rifle had a custom chamber and he had good case life ad good performance. Greg has load data on his website.
Slim
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

I've thought about rechambering a Marlin 1894CL, but it's way on the back burner. I've got a Marlin Model 62 and forming dies. I like the factory scope, but I rarely take it out. I don't care for the way it carries. It balances right on the square Magazine. I walk alot, and enjoy carrying a Marlin 94, or Win 92 in 25-20. The .256 isn't a really usefull cartridge around here. [northern New England]. I've never done anything with a 25-20 that I couldn't have done with a .22. If I ever thought I needed a smallbore with more power, I'd carry a little Savage 22HP, or a 25-35 carbine.
Tuco Tom
Levergunner

Post by Tuco Tom »

I was just checking the Hodgdon's manual and they talk about a Marlin 62, not familar with this rifle. The Speer 75 grain FN bullet get's 2300fps out of a 24" barrel. That's impressive....
With my 357 Model 92 EMF Hartford I'm always trying to stuff the Keith bullet, and 357 Mag brass down the chamber. Well sometimes this combination doesn't work. I've had better luck using 38 Special cases and Keith style lead bullets.
Since the 256 Winchester is necked down 357 Mag brass I thought the combination would be more popular.....
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

The .256 didn’t have a chance when it came out as most varmint hunters want to shoot long distance. There are few small game hunters because there are few places left to hunt small game.
Marlin made a serious error when they cut the chamber too long on their rifles. The long chamber handles factory ammunition very well but will frustrate a handloader. I was very jealous of Greg’s close chamber and his excellent case life.
We shoot just about all of the small game calibers and they are great fun. We don’t worry about over penetration, loud noise or heavy weight when out walking. I have no problem with long range shooting but it is a lot of fun to call the critters in or walk them up too.
Slim