Winchester has stuck brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester has stuck brass

Post by JNG »

Yesterday I was shooting my 94 in .357, the load I was shooting was a 158 grain hp over 17 grains of Lil-Gun. I shot this load well over 500 x's. I fired the gun after ~60 rounds, the next round would not seat in the receiver. I took it back to the truck, with a flashlight shining in the barrel about a quarter inch of brass was still in the reciever. When shooting, the sound and ejection was not different. I tried to use a cleaning rod to push it out with no luck. Any idea's on how to clear it, also how not to have this happen again?
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

Just to be PERFECTLY clear, your rifle has a LIVE round part ways chambered that cannot be fully chambered or extracted?
Last edited by TooTech on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

No, a quarter inch piece of the fired round remains in the chamber, and the rear part was extracted and ejected.

Most likely the case had a canelure and it separated at that point.

Not sure how I'd get it out. The only thing that comes to my mind is running a very tight bore brush in from the muzzle and seeing if it would push it out.

Joe
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I'm not sure what you might use, but you'll prolly have to hook it gently......If you score the chamber, that's prolly bad JuJu.

Wife's crochet needle? :?
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

Phew! Still a pain, but much better situation than having a live round stuck.

Looking at Brownell's Gunsmithing Kinks, they recommend the idea you've already hit upon, putting a .410 cleaning brush on a cleaning rod, and running it into the chamber from the breach end, and then pulling it out. Of course, that's a bit easier with a bolt or break-open gun.

They also suggest FREEZING the action, and then using a close fitting dowel rod. Maybe you could use something like metal degreasing spray to get the temp down?
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

Another idea. Do you have some Cerrosafe? That's the chamber casting material Brownells sells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... rrosafe&s=

I'll bet if you blocked the barrel just in front of the case, and then poured Cerrosafe into the chamber and let it cool, that the Cerrosafe casting would pull the case body out when you tapped the casting out.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lots of times the tight fitting brush works just fine. The Cerrosafe system will work as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Cerrosafe method works quite well. I have had the same problem when shooting BP in my .32-40 and breech seating. Plug the bore just short of the chamber about 1/2" with a tight fitting patch on a rod from the muzzle, Melt the Cerrosafe and fill the chamber, as soon as it is cool, push it through with the rod. The brass will come with it. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another recommendation for a tight fitting brush - maybe a jag as long as it actually pushes the case piece back down into the chamber versus bypasses it and just squeeze it further against the barrel. Patient and gentle is probably the way to go. Let us know how you make out - and take some pictures for all of our education if you can!

Good luck!!!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've removed a number of separated straight walled cases, just by using a couple cleaning patches and a cleaning jag. Down the barrel with the patch as tight as you can get it. Doesn't always work on the first (or sixth :wink: ) try, but it's always done the trick for me.
Slow is just slow.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

cas wrote:I've removed a number of separated straight walled cases, just by using a couple cleaning patches and a cleaning jag. Down the barrel with the patch as tight as you can get it. Doesn't always work on the first (or sixth :wink: ) try, but it's always done the trick for me.
+1. I have used this same method with good success. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I tried using a tight brush, no luck. I then tried a wooden dowl, still no luck. So now it's at a local gunsmith. He stated that this is the first .357 brass case that he's had to work on. He did say that he has had to remove 5 or 6 CCI Blazer cases.

I would have liked to do it on my own, but I sure didn't want to ball up my rifle. When I pick it up, I will ask how he got it out. When I find out, I'll pass it on.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've never actually had a case seperate and stay in the chamber. I immediately thought after reading the first post about the cerrosafe. Good to see it's a viable option.

I think there's actually a tool made for pulling cases like that.

Interested in seeing how your smith get's it out.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:I've never actually had a case seperate and stay in the chamber. I immediately thought after reading the first post about the cerrosafe. Good to see it's a viable option.
I think there's actually a tool made for pulling cases like that.
Interested in seeing how your smith get's it out.
I'm in the same category. The cerrosafe and cleaning jag with wads I've seen used. Brownell's does sell a stuck case remover. Gunsmith? What's dat? Most of the one's around here haven't seen a Winchester 94, let alone work on one! :lol: Naw, just kiddin'! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!