Who keeps a loaded .45-70/.50-110 handy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Who keeps a loaded .45-70/.50-110 handy?

Post by Old Ironsights »

For those of you who don't think you should have a "real gun" handy while lounging in the den...

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEno ... EnoughNews

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German family were stunned when a rampaging bull burst through the back door of their house, charged around the living room, and then left by the front door.

"The animal basically did a tour of the hall, the kitchen and the living room before leaving the building," said Paul Kemen, a spokesman for police in the western city of Aachen on Monday. "It came in the back and went out the front."

None in the family were injured, but the bull laid waste to furnishings, causing an estimated 10,000 euros ($15,600) of damage, police said. The bull left after the owner of the house opened the front door for it.

The red-brown Limousin bull was part of a herd of cattle that had escaped from a farmer and overrun a section of the nearby town of Monschau. A huntsman later shot the animal. :shock:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice :D !I normally don't have the 45-70 XLR loaded.But I do have the Ruger alaskan in 454 Casull loaded in the house. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Would 5 rounds of 12 gauge slug help...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Would you choose to kill such a large animal in the house if you could let it out first?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Whats a "huntsman"... a government man? or do they get to own guns in germany? No BIG bores out just my little ole 9mm
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Would you choose to kill such a large animal in the house ?]

Oh, Man ! :shock: Exactly HOW sanguine IS one of those puppies ? :roll:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:Would you choose to kill such a large animal in the house if you could let it out first?
Not if I could let it out... but it wouldn't make it off the front lawn either. :wink:

OTOH opening a door for a charging bull is asking to get gored...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Hey, this is a good one. I have to admit that Hobie's response, so short and sweet, and to the point, had me laughing out loud. Thanks! Not meant to be a dig by any means, because I think the logic of his question is sound. Yes, you might be gored while you hold the door open for your wayward guest, but then you might be gored when your first shot(s) failed to immediately drop the animal. Key word there being immediate.

Being that I'm in an upstairs apartment I don't think that lost bovines are my biggest threat here, but a few years back we had a lady just a few streets south of us who kept big cats in a fenced in yard. BIG cats, leopards among them. And yes, she did have an escape incident. If I'd had to deal with something like that in my limited interior space I would go straight away to my hardcast-stoked Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Glad I never had to deal with one of those critters here in the apartment !

Any of you guys ever read Capstick's classic "Death in the Long Grass"?
He paints a very dangerous picture of the leopard, and the awful punishment they've doled out to those unlucky enough to have to go into the scrub after a wounded one. Made what's left of my hair stand up on end. :shock: - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Likely the leopard is a better hunter than most people...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Long guns are too cumbersome I keep a Sig Sauer 45acp with 7 rounds of CorBon 165gr JHP +P at ready!I always use factory pocket rockets in my handguns that I carry for self defense because of years of le liability CYA classes .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i keep a puma 454 carbine loaded and ready near the side entrance to the house for moose or bear incidents, and for that matter there is a 45 colt ruger with 300 gr heavy loads, and a 44 special there as well.
the 44 does dog walking duty every am.
cable
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

505stevec wrote:Whats a "huntsman"... a government man? or do they get to own guns in germany? No BIG bores out just my little ole 9mm
They have less restrictions on owning guns in Germany than you do in California.

A "Huntsman" is just that. You have to pass a test to hunt in Germany, so the farmer or the police would have run around and found somebody with a big enough gun to get the job done quickly and cleanly. The German police are armed but for the sake of the animal would not have just poured 9mm's into it.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

No more dangerous than being in the same house with
my wife before she's had her morning coffee............. :wink:
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Pete44ru wrote:[Would you choose to kill such a large animal in the house ?]

Oh, Man ! :shock: Exactly HOW sanguine IS one of those puppies ? :roll:
Very sanguine to be sure (great word) - I've seen a few head butchered in my time and they bleed in buckets. Much smarter to let him exit the house by whatever means is the quickest.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I used to use a black Limousin bull and some of my cows still are. They're fine until they THINK you're looking at them. Then all bets are off getting them to go where you want them to.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

usuailly have the .45 acp. for man or beast. when ex-wife is in town, i leave :oops:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

At my now summer spot in Alaska I keep a loaded big bore in every corner of the house. Brown bears have entered houses in that village, and they won't leave mine alive if I'm in it. And yes Hobie, I will kill the stinking thing inside the house. Make a great uTube clip.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

no 45/70 or 50/110 but i do keep a double barrel 10ga loaded with buck and slug
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

DixieBoy wrote:Being that I'm in an upstairs apartment I don't think that lost bovines are my biggest threat here
Do keep an eye out for flying bacon though...:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bulls in the livingroom... bulls in the china shop; hard to tell the difference at times! :lol: I think lettin' the dern thing out is the best solution. Bears, big cats, porcupines, and badgers are a mite different!

Big Cat at rest:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Pretty much anything from .357 on up would've reliably taken this bull with a headshot. Inside the house, you oughta be able to get a headshot.

I bet someone spilled their coffee when he busted in the door, though!

When I was 20 or so, I was living in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The rodeo grounds are in town, and there are rodeos twice a week. Well, we had a big ole bull climb over the fence and out of the corrals, then head for town.

I was riding either bulls or broncs that week, so I didn't have a horse with me, but I jogged along after to help however I could. Several of the teamropers got a loop on him, but never managed to get him slowed down. After the first quarter mile, the bull was beginning to look like to backlash in Godzilla's fishing reel, from all the ropes the weekend ropers lost on him.

One guy, who was tryin' to learn to rope like the Vaqueros, was packing a 90 footer, and managed to keep his rope, and got him holed up in someone's back yard. I came around the side of the house, just in time to see this guy unwrapping his dallies from the horn to fix the huge mess he'd made of the coils.

I was trying to ease over and get ahold of the end of one of the ropes someone had lost, and told him to dally up and keep the bull outta my pocket while I handed the tail of the rope to one of the guys on horseback. He said, "What guys?", I looked around, and spotted them. They were all lined up, on horseback, hiding on the other side of a hedge!

About this time, I was backed up onto the back deck of the house we were behind, and some lady opens the sliding glass door to ask me, "Do you want in?". I said, "You might wanna get in the basement."

About that time, the bull charged me, I faked past him, he knocked the railing off the porch, and headed out of their yard.

No bull.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

GREAT...now I have to go look up "sanguine" !!!
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper