First new gun of 2020.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

First new gun of 2020.

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry it took me so long. :oops: my local toy shop knows that I like S/B shotguns especially if they are cheap, well as soon as I walked in I'm asked " do you want a Cooey for twenty five quid" that's $32.50 :o well under a lot of grime dust and cobwebs I could see some case color and blue, also the marks of sticky tape where someone had taped the loose forend to the barrel. The stock was free from dents, scratches and cracks, the bore was like new and just 15 minutes in the back room the loose forend was fixed.
$32.50 started to look reasonable although I did try to get it for less :lol: anyway I now own a Cooey 12 gauge with a 30" full choke barrel to go with my Cooey.410.

Sorry the photo isn't the best.
IMG_20200205_181613.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First new gun of 2020.

Post by Grizz »

Nice!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Congratulations!

I too like single shot shotguns. If I can find one for $100 or so I pick it up. Wish i could find some for $32.50!!
I got this one for a bit less than $100 .. Some work with my fine-bladed saw and drill and tap the front bead ... barrel is now 20".
shotgun.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

30 inch barrel! That should reach out and touch someone.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

JimT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 pm I too like single shot shotguns. If I can find one for $100 or so I pick it up. Wish i could find some for $32.50!!
How many you want? $50-75....tops......many times $20-30....
Nobody wants em around here.....I'm always at gun auctions and that's about these guns go for, unless it's a Model 37 Winchester or a single barrel Ithaca trap model. Like new H&R's etc never bring more than a buck.

Gamekeeper,
If there ever was a "workhorse" gun of ANY kind, style, whatever...it's the single barreled shotgun....what can go wrong with em?
For $32 you will enjoy it, use it, fondle it and it will be a piece of cake...(or in your case, a cup of tea) to get your $32 back when it's time to sell.

Guns of sturdy construction of which many were made is always a smart buy. If your "tinker minded" you can experiment with amateur gunsmithing skills such as stock work/refinishing, bluing, etc. Its how I learned basic no frills gunsmithing.....

Years ago my buddy who owns a large gunshop would give free will to fix guns. He would tell me, go fix it..learn on it...if you screw it up, I'll just give the customer a new one.....I'm gonna need you one day....it worked...no fear. (You should have seen his face when I broke the mainspring on a like new Civil War 1858 Remington cap and ball handgun worth maybe 4-5 BIG ones taking it apart.)

Does Nath know you got that? As you know, Old Win is far from you guys so you can rest knowing your gun will be where you left it...but if Nath comes over wearing a buffalo coat, you better hide it. :D ---6
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:48 pm How many you want? $50-75....tops......many times $20-30....
Nobody wants em around here.....I'm always at gun auctions and that's about these guns go for, unless it's a Model 37 Winchester or a single barrel Ithaca trap model. Like new H&R's etc never bring more than a buck.
If I were closer I would take you up on that!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JimT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 pm Congratulations!

I too like single shot shotguns. If I can find one for $100 or so I pick it up. Wish i could find some for $32.50!!
I got this one for a bit less than $100 .. Some work with my fine-bladed saw and drill and tap the front bead ... barrel is now 20".

shotgun.JPG
I may well do something like that to my $32.50 investment too . . . 8)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

have picked up a few of the Savage 219 single barrels that have interchangeable barrels. I have one with a 410, and a 30/30, and a 25/20 barrel, and another that has the 30/30 and a 16 ga barrel with polychoke

with a set up like that you really can hunt most anything. something very appealing about the compactness, light weight, and simplicity.
cable
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Nice find! The Cooeys are sort of scarce in the states but when you go to Canada it seems like everybody has at least one of the .22s and a shotgun. Seems like all of the trappers up there use or have used a Cooey as a dispatch gun at one time or another.

I'm a fan of single shot shotguns as well, have a mini collection of pre-war H&Rs from 410 to 12ga as well as a 219 and a newer H&R. They are all a joy to carry around the farm, particularly the old small frame guns.

I was lucky to get a bunch of bismuth shot for a reasonable price so next year the 12 and 16 are going duck hunting along with a couple of other old guns.

Eric
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Your Cooey looks REMARKABLY like a clone of a Stevens Model 94, a common single made for many years in the US by Savage. I believe that Savage had (and may still have) a subsidiary in Canada that made .22s and shotguns, some of which were marketed under the Savage name in the US, and some in Canada under another brand name. Are yours perhaps some of those?

I've also seen clones of the Winchester Model 37, another classic single, made in Japan and Brazil.

The good things about all these are that they are affordable, they break down into neat, short packages, they are light weight, and they WORK.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hi Mike, yes they are very similar but I don't think the parts are interchangeable but I may well be wrong, I have a Stevens 94 16 gauge and to be honest I like the Stevens more.
The loose forend on the Cooey came back :evil: my first shot was a squirrel and that little 1oz load done for the squirrel and my forend. I have a spare forend iron but it only stays tight untill I fire the darn thing. I may try a spot of weld on the barrel lug and file a new profile for the flat spring to fit into.
The Stevens has a takedown screw which is simple and WORKS. Cooey shotguns are very common over here, moreso than Savage/Stevens, my Cooey .410 is a keeper though, great little squirrel gun. I believe the Webley and Scott model 100 is also a clone of the Winchester 37.
IMG_20200206_163032.jpg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice. Always good when you can get a good deal on something you like.

I have a friend who runs a Tabaco store and there have been several times where people wanted a carton of smokes and traded him a gun for it. He has given me a Remington 510 Target Master made in the 40s and a Ranger 20g bolt action shotgun before that someone "pawned" him but since he is not a pawn shop he can't really sell them as such.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rube Burrows wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:52 pm Nice. Always good when you can get a good deal on something you like.

I have a friend who runs a Tabaco store and there have been several times where people wanted a carton of smokes and traded him a gun for it. He has given me a Remington 510 Target Master made in the 40s and a Ranger 20g bolt action shotgun before that someone "pawned" him but since he is not a pawn shop he can't really sell them as such.
I've never been that desperate for a smoke :shock: I have looked everywhere in the UK for a 20 gauge bolt action never seen one.. :(
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

WOW, what a killer deal! I have certainly never heard of SB shotguns selling for that little around here!

I've always liked SB shotguns.

Here is my savage 220 that is a real sweet shooter! I had a MUCH higher hit percentage than they guys I was with who had semis. I think it had a full choke when I got it, and I had the local gun smith open up the choke until it shot the pattern that I was looking for. I've got some buckshot for it also, might try for a deer with it this year.

Also, here is a Savage or Stevens 94 (I think it was actually a 7894) 10 gauge (!!) w/ 36" barrel and full choke. I think they called this model the Big Tom or something like that. I killed a couple turkeys and a deer with it.

And since we are giving praise to SB shotguns, I want to mention a neighbor we had when I was young. We lived in an extremely rural area of central va. Our neighbor lived in a tiny little house with an outhouse out back. He ate a lot of wild game, especially squirrels and rabbits. His only gun was an old SB 12 ga - I'd love to know what kind of gun it was now. And holy cow could he shoot that thing. He could fire off a two or three shots with that SB faster than you'd believe possible.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, my Uncle Homer hunted with a Methodist Preacher from Turpin. The Preacher used a single shot 16 gauge, and could get 2 or 3 quail out of a covey. He could reload that single shot amazingly fast.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The lowly single barrel shotgun has been looked down upon for sometime, it's slow rate of fire and cheap looks do not inspire that all important WOW factor.
They can be reloaded quite fast and after a couple of season using a traditional muzzleloading shotgun the single shot seems pretty impressive and fast firing.
I like them because of the simplicity of design and near indestructible build, plus light to carry and not wasteful of ammunition.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:52 pm Nice. Always good when you can get a good deal on something you like.

I've never been that desperate for a smoke :shock: I have looked everywhere in the UK for a 20 gauge bolt action never seen one.. :(
The one that I have is missing the magazine but I think I can get them from Numrich. Just haven't done it yet.