Recent tone of the forum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's my considered observation that this tends to be a VERY civil forum.

Once in a while statements used in discussion will be a bit more pointed than at other times.

Sometimes it is warranted, sometimes it is not.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

I'll be good... :)
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I am a devil's advocate at times but will try to take the high road.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Don, I always suspected you were a Taliban spy! :twisted: :lol:
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Well shucks Rod you should a remembered, :shock: we graduated from the same, Mohammed Azzbullspitas taliban spy class. :lol: :lol:
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

i got an idea why dont the mods just write articles on what there opinions and believes are and we will read them with no ability to reply. :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

allen1980 wrote:i got an idea why dont the mods just write articles on what there opinions and believes are and we will read them with no ability to reply. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S., Hobie already has a blog. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

allen1980 wrote:i got an idea why dont the mods just write articles on what there opinions and believes are and we will read them with no ability to reply. :D

Hmmm....Let me ask Hobie what I think of that... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

BlaineG wrote:

Hmmm....Let me ask Hobie what I think of that... :lol:
lol see it is already working.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Allen,

I have to say that that comment of yours is ill considered. I never edit a comment or delete a post because it has something to do with me personally. I only edit, lock or delete posts or topics because they use inappropriate language (this is a FAMILY forum) or make personal attacks, encourage physical attacks on LEOs or the military, or are SPAM. Neither do Paul or Jim. So, you are WAY out of line. Yes, that is done on OTHER forums but not here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

sore shoulder wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S., Hobie already has a blog. :lol:
I have two. Shooting with Hobie is intended for my grandkids and the only politics there is "gun" politics, everything else is personal interest, outdoors and shooting (mostly shooting). Two Old Soldiers Bare All is everything else.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

Hobie wrote:
Allen,

I have to say that that comment of yours is ill considered. I never edit a comment or delete a post because it has something to do with me personally. I only edit, lock or delete posts or topics because they use inappropriate language (this is a FAMILY forum) or make personal attacks, encourage physical attacks on LEOs or the military, or are SPAM. Neither do Paul or Jim. So, you are WAY out of line. Yes, that is done on OTHER forums but not here.
i didnt mean to hurt your feelings.i was only joking and i never used any bad language nor did i make a threat.please accept my apollogy i didnt know of your delecate sencibilities. :oops:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

allen1980 wrote:
Hobie wrote:
Allen,

i didnt mean to hurt your feelings.i was only joking and i never used any bad language nor did i make a threat.please accept my apollogy i didnt know of your delecate sencibilities. :oops:
Allen, trying to provoke us merely exposes who you are inside. We run a clean forum - and that's the reason for the original post on this thread, to remind folks of the basic ground rules. The various answers to the simple posting reveal a lot about the folks who post here. By far the greatest response via this thread and private messages has been positive. How we handle our disagreements says a lot about who we are, as does the way others handle things with which they disagree say a lot about who they are. We're getting to know who you are by your posting on this thread.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

allen1980 wrote:
Hobie wrote:
Allen,

I simply won't be called what I think you called me. I've lived my life trying to be a standup guy and you implied that I wasn't. In fact, that is the problem with the forum lately. I suggest that you presume a man to be misinformed (if you disagree) but never presume him to be disingenuous.

BTW, I don't have delicate sensibilities. I've been cussed out in 6 languages and still shared my food without spitting in it. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

T. Roosevelt
“The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.â€

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I must be dense because I didn't see any insult in Allens original comment. Rest assured if I had I certainly wouldn't have laughed at it. If there is some veiled implication that I am too unsophisticated to ascertain, I apologize to Hobie et al for my participation.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

easy,easy guys.i wasnt trying to disrupt i was just making a joke then i said i was sorry when it upset someone.so now you are writing stuff like you are learning how i am?????
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Take a step back everybody........this one is about the dumbest one that ever got out of control, guys :lol:

Image :P :P :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I accept your apology.

I think I should note that in my world one doesn't "joke" about a man's honor. Frank, I took your post to mean that Allen could look at my blog(s) to see what I thought (as if I don't post that here). That didn't seem at all out of line.

Again, I think that this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that has turned these topics from honest discussions to personal attacks.
Sincerely,

Hobie

allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

i never was saying anything about honor........i just dont get it :?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

allen1980 wrote:i never was saying anything about honor........i just dont get it :?
We'll take this off-line, please check your PMs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

are pm's the message box at the top of the page ?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

[quote="Blackhawk"]T. Roosevelt
“The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.â€
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri May 09, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

allen1980 wrote:are pm's the message box at the top of the page ?
Yes sir. It should now say "you have 1 new message"
Sincerely,

Hobie

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If Hobie and Paul think that I was wrong in my attitude on some of the locked posts, then I apologize. Even adults can sometimes require a little direction, and as adults we should not allow our feelings to be hurt to the point that we lash out at each other. How about if someone feels offended, they PM Hobie or Paul and let them know what and why. If cooler heads are allowed to moderate, then we probably can continue to have a fun and relatively free exchange of ideas. I for one do not feel insulted that a few posts were locked or that there are some OT threads, but I am the third of five, so I don't get insulted easily.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements, as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career; however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are borne of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Erhman
This poem has been wrongly attributed in the past to an unknown author who left it in a church in Baltimore, MD. The poem was not found in St. Paul's at Baltimore in 1692, but written by Max Ehrman (1872-1945, a Harvard philosopher and lawyer) in 1927 and published in 1948 after his death by his widow in "the poems of Max Ehrman". The church in Baltimore was founded in 1692, and the Reverend Kates used this poem on the church paper somewhere between 1956 and 1961. On the paper, the Baltimore logo was used together with "founded in 1692" (the parish that is). Somebody mixed this up and changed "founded" to "found", thus changing the date of the poem by some 200 years.

My thanks to R. J. de Vries for bringing this to my attention. Additional information on the confused history of this poem, including the changing of certain words, can be found at: http://www.fleurdelis.com/desidera.htm
Semper Fi
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't think that the members of this forum have been nearly contrite enough.

I think that everyone should apologize.

Again.

:evil: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Jarhead wrote:Desiderata
I like that. We've had a framed copy of it on the wall for quite a number of years. There was a popular song made out of it in the late 60s or early 70s.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hmmm... think I found my problem as this keeps popping up... :)

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Thanks, Paul and Hobie. :) I was just about wondering if I ever wanted to log into here again.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Alot of people including myself come here to learn, ya'll talk I'll listen I promise. I'm not the smartest person, nor the dumbest, I'm human I need help from time to time. I come here to ask questions and share experiences not fight or bicker. That's why I keep coming back to this forum A FINE BUNCH OF GUYS!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

forum

Post by brucew44guns »

I found this forum by accident I think, just surfing. I liked it from the start. I'm not wealthy, but I have more guns than many of you, and I'm pretty sure that some of you would endure much pain if it gave you the privelege to help your self to my vault. But what I respect the most about many of you, is your knowledge about guns, and how to use them. I collect, I buy, I acquire, I have a pick-up load of ammo, but you guys--- DO THINGS WITH YOUR GUNS!!!!!. You hunt, you've become expert shots, you trade guns and better yourself, you know values of firearms, you reload, you know facts and figures I only have trivial knowledge about. I read Hobies big article recently on the 38-55, a world of knowledge I don't have, I respect him for sharing that knowledge,and respect you all for other things I learn here. For 42 years I hauled fuel 16 hours a day. I had no time for a forum like this. Now---I find myself blessed to know many of you, and learn from most of you. I certainly will be looking for ways to enhance, all I can, my participation here, with worthwhile info, and courtesy. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Wow, I feel left out....I did not post in any of the recent locked out forums!

Thanks for the gentle reminder.

IMHO, Forums of this nature have substituted for the old time gathering around the pot belly stove in the now gone general store. Fellas gather to talk about guns or huntin' dogs, etc. and get off on other subjects. This is not a bad thing.

Many of us seem to have the human need of intelligent discussion, exchange of humor, and sharing of information and opinions.

If I may be so bold, I will suggest to others how I gauge my conduct on this board: Whenever I read a post, I picture myself sitting around the pot belly stove, hangin' around the old firehouse or standing by a campfire..... In any of those situations, I might pick on a fella some, but I would be careful not to embarass 'em in front of others.... I would think how I would want to be treated....... and sometimes, the topic is simply not interesting to me or takes a turn I don't care for.... so I would just say goodnight and go home. This mental picture helps me to not take advantage of the protection of the glass screen.

Just my two cents......
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Can we go back to discussing lever guns now? Please!
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JohnnyReb wrote: If I may be so bold, I will suggest to others how I gauge my conduct on this board: Whenever I read a post, I picture myself sitting around the pot belly stove, hangin' around the old firehouse or standing by a campfire..... In any of those situations, I might pick on a fella some, but I would be careful not to embarass 'em in front of others.... I would think how I would want to be treated....... and sometimes, the topic is simply not interesting to me or takes a turn I don't care for.... so I would just say goodnight and go home. This mental picture helps me to not take advantage of the protection of the glass screen.

Just my two cents......
EXACTLY...! When things start getting bad, sign off, or make a benign, lighthearted comment to help de-fuse things, just like you would if you were at the local gun club, range, campfire, etc... It isn't THAT hard!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

ohwin94_61 wrote:Image
Yeah, me too ... :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have been gone since Thursday to a spur & bit show. I must have missed a little but I agree, civil is the only way to have discussions. My daddy always told me "you learn a lot more listing than talking".
"That'll Be The Day"
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

WE have way, way to much politics and social commentary threads on this forum. I am as guilty as the next man with my interest in Border issues and the Civil War.

I take the pledge not to start such topics again and I will refrain as best I can from even looking at any topic marked OT- Politics

I am deeply saddened that we have lost Scott Tshirhart to such threads. He is a stand up guy, done in by Internet gossip.

I once played a part in making him feel unwelcome on another board. I was part of a bad thing. I apoligized to Scott and he extened gracious forgivness to me. I always looked forward to his threads, as they displayed unusual high content and character.

There just are not many of the old founding group around any more and the whole forum is made less by that fact.

There are some folks who live and breath politics and as long as politics and social commentary are allowed, they will be into it hot and heavy. I intend just to ignore such things.

I agree we should stick to our mutual interest in guns and let that be the thing that unites and stay away from the things that divide.
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

Heck, I've been so busy looks like I missed a good fight as well as the Safari.

Hope all the cuts and bruises will heal and we can have a beer together in Africa next year.

To any that would spoil this happy place, please remember that you don't know what you have until it is gone.

Regards