OT - I need some opinions regarding Handi-Rifles..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mtnfolk75
Levergunner

OT - I need some opinions regarding Handi-Rifles..

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

Help,
I am at a quandry over a rifle for these new CA lead restrictions. My primary hunting rifle at this time is a 1969 vintage Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine. It is set up to function with 240 grain Factory Jacketed Ammunition. After looking at what Barnes offers in 44 Caliber it looks like the 225 Grain XPB is the heaviest they currently make. I am not sure the Ruger would function reliabley with that weight plus Ruger no longer makes or stocks parts for these guns, also the dirt and dust does not help the semi-auto action.
The majority of my hunting is done in the back country above my cabin, traveling via 4x4 quad. I want an inexpesive rifle that I will not be afraid to just throw on the quad and go. I am thinking about a Handi-Rifle in either 308 or 30-30. I am leaning toward the 30-30 due to an old shoulder injury. By using a single-shot I could use spitzer bullets without worry as opposed to a lever. I do however have about 260 rounds of factory 308 to get comfortable with the rifle and then re-use the brass. I would have to buy 308 dies , for 30-30 I would have to purchase everything.
Does anyone have either of these and based on experiance which would the softest shooting and which would you recommend? FWIW, I did have a really nice Marlin 336, but it was just too pretty to beat around on the quad so I traded it away last year for a 1894 in 44 Magnum. My nephew talked me out that also, in retrospect it appears that was a little bit of bad judgement.

Thanks,
Dusty (Mtnfolk75)
Retired CA LEO / NRA Lifer

" Where my friend Roscoe is not welcome ..., neither am I ... "
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

down load the 308 to 30-30 levels seein as ya got the stuff.
can load back up if you need to.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have a Handi-Rifle in 44 mag. and another barrel in .308.

I hand load for the .308 and it is a joy to shoot. I use both jacketed & cast bullets.
I sent mine back for the fitting of the .308 barrel and had them install iron sights on the barrel. The factory Handi-.308 comes with a Scope mt. block mounted on the barrel only. I wanted the barrel set up for emergency use & a basic bang-around gun so no scope will ever be on the barrel. I do have the scope block if I ever need or desire glass optics.

I was surprised for a light weight gun the recoil is not that great.

Remington bought Marlin who owned H & R, so who knows whats going to happen. Word on the street is that Remington has closed the H & R plant and is relocating the facility to some where South.

My suggestion would have been to buy yourself any used good Handi-Rifle in any caliber you can find. Then do as I did, send it to H & R for the barrel accessory program. Mine was in 44 mag. I had them fit two barrels. The .308 barrel and a 12 ga. Shotgun barrel with 3 1/2" chambers.
If you go to the Marlin site, then select H & R you will find the barrel accessory program. Listed here will be all the barrels wich they will fit to your action along with the cost & prices. They will not fit barrels to the SB-1 Pardner shot gun action. The action must be the SB-2 action. If you send in an action for barrels, specify in writing to have them do an action & trigger job. They will do this no charge while it is being fitted for the new barrels.

I enjoy shooting my Handi-Rifle, they shoot great.

For more info than you can possibly digest, just Google: Handi-Rifle. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If you are handloading and hunting at 44 distances, there's no reason to load the 308 to max velocities.

But you can.

Toned down, you can use the Barnes designed for the 30-30 in it and still get great expansion.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I have the H&R in 30-30 and it is an impressive rifle.
Likes everything I feed it and shoots well especially with the Williams peep sight.
Having said that the only reason not to get a 308 would be lack of open sights from the factory. Although I hear H&R will add them for around $40.
Either will work well for what you want to do with it.
As for the accessory barrel program, you have until September before they start closing down and moving to Kentucky.
If you plan on an extra barrel call them first and see if they have one in stock, otherwise you could be waiting awhile.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

As an aside I talked to Mary in customer service a few weeks ago when I ordered some scope bases and they moving to Illion, NY to part of the old Remington plant not KY.

I have a .30-30 and a .223 handi rifle. I love he .30-30 but haven't had a chance to shoot the .223 much yet.

I have two more .308's and to tell you the truth, they don't see that much action. I shoot the .30-30 Handi more that the other two put together.

There's a whole forum dedicated to Handis over on the Graybeards outdoor forums if you care to check them out. A lot of folks there could afford a lot of different rifles but once you've owned a Handi there's no turning back. you be a Handiholic before you know it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have a Handi in 22 Hornet and a Handi that has barrels in 223 Rem;30/30;
30-06;45-70 and 3.5in 12 Gauge for the same frame. I LOVE IT !
the 223 and 45 70 barrels are tack drivers the 30-30 and 30-06 are "ok" Working on those two now and groups are improving .
AS A RULE Handis seem to shoot best in the lighter bullets for cartridge
MY 223 shoots 45 and 50 grain bullets into less than an inch,but wont shoot the 55 grain or higher bullets worth a darn.
the 45 70 shoots everything up to the 400 grainers real well, but the 350 grain bullets shoot the best .
I DID own a Handi in 308 Several years ago and that shoot very well
IF you have all have all the ammo and components to load 308 then by all means get that and reload lighter loads .
YOU do NOT have to send the rifle back to H&R to have iron sights put on . YOU can get them from Wiliams and others . I have oredered the Williams Peep sights for mine and installed them in the pre drilled holes .
Also I have one set of peeps that attach to the Weaver base that will mount under the scope with high mounts ( High mounts are usually needed for scopes on handis due to the hammer )
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Bluehawk,

The reference to the sights are for those that come drilled and tapped for scope only like the 308 barrel.
You can get a Williams peep but the barrel will still have to be drilled and tapped or slotted for a front sight, which they will do at the factory for you when you order a new barrel.

If I get another barrel it will be a 06 or 308 and have them install the front sight. I like to keep the scope off them if I can.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[the 225 Grain XPB is the heaviest they currently make. I am not sure the Ruger would function reliabley with that weight ]

FYI - I've regularly shot factory 180gr jacket slugs through my Ruger old model .44 Carbine without any issues.
I switched to them, after I found that the heavier slugs were blowing through the smaller deer I was seeing in a new hunting area.

K.I.S.S. principle. :wink:

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Rusty,

Back in April I had called H&R hr department and I was told they would move to the Remington plant in Kentucky.

But now I see that an employee has written into Greybeards and said they would be moving to NY.

Works for me for awhile I had thought that it might move to Russia where they make the single shots for Rem.

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Buy a Used Handi-Rifle

Post by Idiot »

I've owned numerous Handi-Rifles and still own one chamber in 45 Colt/410. If I come across another one chambered in 30-30W I'll buy it. All of the rifles I've owned functioned perfectly and shot well. I highly recommend them.

Repeat shots are not a problem either. In a previous 30-30 I was able to get three shots into a pie plate at 100 yards in around 10 seconds. That's plenty fast enough for follow-up shots.

I suggest you find a used Handi chambered in 30-30 Winchester. They can be found for less than $200 and often for around $150. The 30-30 Winchester is plenty good out to a couple hundred yards and with the new LeverEvelution ammo you can add another 75 yards or so. Thirty-thirty ammo can be found at most Wal-Marts for around $10 a box and a whole lot less when on sale. If you want to reload you can, but factory ammo is cheap and plentiful. In a Handi-Rifle the difference between the the 30-30W and 308W is about 100 yards beyond 250 yards; so what's the point?

The Handi-Rifles are a bit barrel heavy, so recoil from a 308 isn't bad, but it is almost non-existent from a 30-30 Winchester.

My two cents has run out - buy a used Handi-Rifle in 30-30W and have fun.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My favorite barrel for my Handi- is the 44 mag barrel. With a 240 gr. jacketed soft point under 22.5 grains of H110 it will shoot very flat out to 225 yards. I can hit a 3' steel gong at my Brothers Range in La Grande, Or. this is standing and off hand. The .308 will do the same.

Handi's are one fine little inexpensive utility fire arm. :wink:
SASS# 51223

Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

I have a 30-30 and a 22RF Handi- the 30-30 has taken deer & hogs. Well worth the money. I have yet to take advantage of the barrel program. Don't know what I'm waiting on. Guess there is really no need come to think of it.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
Mtnfolk75
Levergunner

I need some opinions regarding Handi-Rifles..

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

Thanks guys for all the input. I am leaning toward the 30-30 because of the factory sights and the lack of recoil. Of course I could download the 308, but I might have to hire someone to shoot all the factory ammo I have to get the brass to download ... :D
The area I primarily hunt is between 6,000 and 8,500 feet in elevation and mostly evergreens. In the last 15 years of hunting here, I have only taken a shot over 100 yards one time and that was about 175.
I have the 308 ammo listed for sale in the classifieds, if it sells I will go with the 30-30, if not I have some more time to think about it.

Again, thanks for all the replies and opinions,

Dusty ( Mtnfolk75 )
Dusty (Mtnfolk75)

Mtnfolk75
Levergunner

I need some opinions regarding Handi-Rifles..

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

Pete44ru,
I currently reload for the Ruger, but only 240 grain jacketed bullets. I have fired some factory 180's and found the action to be a lttle sluggish.
The main thing is on an open rack the guns get quite dirty from trail dust and mud/snow depending on the time of the year. With Ruger not stocking or making parts I'm leary of beating it up too bad, even though
my Ruger is not a collector by any stretch of the imagination :lol: .
I was just looking at the simplicity of a single-shot rifle versus the Semi-Auto for trail duty.

Thanks,
Dusty (Mtnfolk75)

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Handi's

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have bought and gotten rid of two Handi's.

One was a heavy barrel 17 HMR. It shot 1 inch groups at 50 yards. I bought this rifle just to play around with the 17. I was not impressed with the 17(over my 22 magnum), or the Handi so I got rid of it.

I also bought one in 223 for a truck gun. Accuracy was terrible. 3 inch range at 100 yards. The problem with the one I had was in the chambering. The chamber was out of round, and the throat was unbelievably long. I was disappointed with this rifle a got rid of it.

Every one above has given good reviews of the Handi, unfortunately I can not. If I were you I would look for another good usen Marlin in 30-30 or 44 magnum. I am sure you would be more happy in the end run. Tom.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Dusty - first off, I hope you're up on ammo prices - be sure and ask for a good price on that 308 ammo. You can't buy military surplus for less than $12 for 20 rounds.... A good price on standard factory ammo is $18, so I'd at least ask for $14 per box - that'd get you $182 - most of what you'll need for a new Handi Rifle.

And as to your Ruger Deerfield - those 225 grain Xbullets will do just fine! Get a box and you'll see. These 225 grain bullets are probably just a tad longer than the 240 grain bullets that you've been shooting.

You like the Deerfield because it gives you good punch w/o the sharp shove to your shoulder - I'd stick with it.

If you just want a new rifle, then of course, by all means get you a good Handi Rifle - 30-30 is fine and should shoot X bullet loads just fine. They are rather light weight though and you may be surprised at the 30-30's recoil impulse in them. Of course, a good lace-on recoil pad would probably be all that you'd need to tame it.

I've got a 45-70 Handi and it its a great shooting rifle - they are one of the best values going.

Good hunting!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I have got NEF" in a bunch of calibers.I find them a very good buy, the 30-30 is a fine choice as is the 44mag.The older 44 mag's from NEF were over sized(bored) and gave the guys with them fits.The newer one seems to be fine. Get the 30-30 then send it in for a 44 mag barrel. Doug
a armed man is his own master
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lefty Dude wrote:My favorite barrel for my Handi- is the 44 mag barrel. With a 240 gr. jacketed soft point under 22.5 grains of H110 it will shoot very flat out to 225 yards. I can hit a 3' steel gong at my Brothers Range in La Grande, Or.
Do you have a scope on yours?

How accurate do you think it can be if you push it?

I have just got one, and would like to make it a 'tack-driver' to see if it can out-perform my leverguns, but I know I'll need a scope to do that. If my daughter gets a deer with it, it will be hers (then I'll get one in .45-70, or .444, or 7mm Mag, or 6mm Rem, or... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bluehawk wrote: Also I have one set of peeps that attach to the Weaver base that will mount under the scope with high mounts ( High mounts are usually needed for scopes on handis due to the hammer )
I'd sure like to see a photo of that kind of setup, or catalog numbers, or something. Sounds interesting.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Don't give up on the Handi. I have several and love them.

My 243 Ultra will hold 5 shot groups of .42 at 100 yards all day long. After I found the right load.

My 308 is getting close, but I put it aside to play with my Handi 38-55 (to many toys, not enough time :D ).

I would look for an older Handi that has the ejector system as apposed to the new ones that use an extractor. The extractor is great if you are bench shooting, but if you are hunting in the cold with gloves on, it can be a bit of a pain to get another quick shot with the extractor. The ejector system will throw the case about 5' behind you.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

AJMD429 wrote:
Lefty Dude wrote:My favorite barrel for my Handi- is the 44 mag barrel. With a 240 gr. jacketed soft point under 22.5 grains of H110 it will shoot very flat out to 225 yards. I can hit a 3' steel gong at my Brothers Range in La Grande, Or.
Do you have a scope on yours?

How accurate do you think it can be if you push it?

I have just got one, and would like to make it a 'tack-driver' to see if it can out-perform my leverguns, but I know I'll need a scope to do that. If my daughter gets a deer with it, it will be hers (then I'll get one in .45-70, or .444, or 7mm Mag, or 6mm Rem, or... :lol: )
No scope, The stock iron sights. I am going to change out the rear blade. The rear sight is a Williams sight. There is a fellow who makes the change out blade that is an appature peep.

I am pushing mine and it holds its accuracy well. So far the 44 is more accurate than the .308. I have not completed the break-in of the .308 barrel, I figure an other 100 round will do. Then we will see. I would not shoot my 44 load alot in a Marlin, maybe a 92. That 22.5 gr. of H110 is a stiff load with the 240gr. We were totally blown away when we hit that steel gong at over 200 yrds.. The gong is 1 1/2" thick and is 3' in diameter. The 44 was swinging that hunk of steel. I would not hesitate to hunt with my Handi-Rifle, either the 44 or .308 any game deer or smaller. Cow Elk maybe, but nothing over 150 yards.

I bought the 44 like new a 2006 model for $150.00. Spent $240.00 for the additional two barrels.
I call it my throw-away gun, if need be. :wink:
For the replacement rear blade, Here:

http://www.oneraggedhole.com/
SASS# 51223

Mtnfolk75
Levergunner

Handi-Rifle ..

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

Thanks to everyone for your valued opinions and suggestions. I am still thinking things over and have about 6-7 weeks until the dreaded lead bullet ban in my favorite haunts.

FWIW, I am kinda' leaning toward a 308 as I have ammo already. Then again, I may just stay with the Ruger Carbine or go to a bolt action and use the Ruger .270 I already have ... :D But it is still an awful pretty rifle to bang around the back country on a quad.

Anyway, thanks again to all that responded.
Dusty (Mtnfolk75)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lefty Dude wrote:
No scope, The stock iron sights. I am going to change out the rear blade. The rear sight is a Williams sight. There is a fellow who makes the change out blade that is an appature peep.

For the replacement rear blade, Here:

http://www.oneraggedhole.com/
Another source (and quite honestly I like the blade better) is the little flip-up peep available here for $13.29 - it is my choice for replacing rear rifle sights unless I'm going with a Williams Aperture or Tang.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=186476

preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

add weight to Choate Survivor stocks for H&R

Post by preventec47 »

If I had a lot of 308 ammo and was worried about recoil and was going
to ride around on a Quad, I wouldnt care if the rifle weighed a few extra
pounds. If you get the Survivor H&R stocks from NEF or direct from Choate,
the stock and forearm are hollow. You can fill one or both with lead
buck shot mixed with epoxy to form fit perfectly and can be removed
if you use a plastic bag to hold the shot while the epoxy hardens.
So how aboout a twelve pound H&R 308 with a slip on recoil pad.. or two
of em. My Turkish Mauser 8mm with scope weighs 12 pounds and I
love shootin it. Now if you really want a bang around gun, get
an M44 Russian milsurp bolt action that shoots 7.63x54R ammo that is duplicate in power of 308. Oh yea they sell for about 75 bucks in lots of stores.