Price Check: Ruger #1B 257 Roberts UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Price Check: Ruger #1B 257 Roberts UPDATE

Post by Mainehunter »

What's the going rate in your neck of woods? A guy brought one in at a gun shop and is planning to put it on consignment. It's in excellent shape and it looks like it hasn't been fired a lot.

Mainehunter
Last edited by Mainehunter on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price Check: Ruger #1B 257 Roberts

Post by Pete44ru »

Scope included ?

I would be loathe to assign an actual cash value (ACV) of any more than $150 for a good scope, $25 for a Tasco/Bushnell run-of-the-mill-type scope (yes, I know they make a few expensive scopes, but I'm not referring to those).

About $1K (+/-), bareback - although the asking is usually a bit higher.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I sold a Ruger #1B in 257 Bob to a friend in Maine a year or so ago . Was an older Red Pad gun in very nice shape with rings and if memory serves he gave me a little over a grand for it . But truth be told I sold him four 1B's at the same time and gave him a little better price .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd say about a grand as well. Not sure if I should say what I paid for my #1B in 218... It had a bushnell 3-9, less then 100 rounds through it.... Give up? $350!! Yes I stole it! It's an older Red Pad as well. An offer I couldn't pass on.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Been traveling these past few days but got a chance today to take a better look at it. No box, scope or rings. Nice grain on the wood, bluing looks perfect and a nice Red Pad on the butt stock. Lock up is tight, rifling looks sharp but BOY! that trigger, it's got to be boarder line 4lbs. or less. They were asking $750.00 so I put it on layaway. I'm really happy with it and it'll be my first Ruger #1. The last time I fired a 257 Roberts was way back in the 70's using my uncle's Winchester Pre-64 model 70 popping chucks a good 200 yards or so.

Mainehunter
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mainehunter, when you get it shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how to make it shoot tiny bug holes! Or at least how I got my 218 to shoot bug holes!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mainehunter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 pmNo box, scope or rings. Nice grain on the wood, bluing looks perfect and a nice Red Pad on the butt stock. Lock up is tight, rifling looks sharp but BOY! that trigger, it's got to be boarder line 4lbs. or less. They were asking $750.00 so I put it on layaway. I'm really happy with it and it'll be my first Ruger #1.
Wow.....that's a great deal on a great gun in a grand old cartridge...!

'Box' = firestarter, 'scope' = usually I replace with one I like better, 'rings' - cheap enough to replace if you don't decide on a good iron peep like the NEGS that mounts directly onto the Ruger ring base...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 pm Mainehunter, when you get it shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how to make it shoot tiny bug holes! Or at least how I got my 218 to shoot bug holes!
I'll give you a shout when the time comes. I've been reading the Ruger #1 can be very finiky for accuracy plus the 1:10 twist rate can't handle anything over 100 grain bullets which I find kind of odd. I use to have a Savage 99 in 250 Savage with a 1:10 twist and it loved the anything over 100 grain bullets.

Mainehunter
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Ruger #1B 257 Roberts UPDATE

Post by Mainehunter »

Well I couldn't resist any longer. Picked up the Ruger today and hopefully someone I know has a set of Bonanza bench rest dies to use. Just need to make a couple of 257 Roberts brass out of 7x57 that I have laying around but as for the bullets I do have couple boxes of Hornady 117 gr. RN that's been collecting dust so I may try those.

Mainehunter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mainehunter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 pm Been traveling these past few days but got a chance today to take a better look at it.

No box, scope or rings. Nice grain on the wood, bluing looks perfect and a nice Red Pad on the butt stock.

Lock up is tight, rifling looks sharp but BOY! that trigger, it's got to be boarder line 4lbs. or less. T

hey were asking $750.00 so I put it on layaway. I'm really happy with it and it'll be my first Ruger #1

In Maine, do you guys know the word SCORE ! :shock:

Nice grab !

Don't forget to wear your mask when you pick it up out of layaway...... :mrgreen:

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price Check: Ruger #1B 257 Roberts UPDATE

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! I love my #1 in .308. There used to be a Yahoo users roup for #1 shooters. I was a member for a while. there was talk on there from time to time about replacing the stock trigger and hammer in an effort to reduce lock time. I never could see fixing what wasn't broken.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.