Winchester/miroku 1886 sight ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sac
Levergunner

Winchester/miroku 1886 sight ?

Post by sac »

Hello all,

First post but have been visiting for awhile. I just picked up a Miroku 1886 and looking for advise on a tang sight, I'm looking at either a Marble but not sure of adjustment and what range I could expect.
The other is a MVA 130 or 101 mid range. The rifle will be shot with BP and would like to get to 400 to 500 yards.

Thanks Scott
Ysabel Kid

Re: Winchester/miroku 1886 sight ?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with first-hand experience to pass along.

Good luck!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the forum !

I'm sorry that I can't help, as I mounted a new Marble's tang peepsight on my Winchester/Miroku Model 86EL - I had absolutely no intention of shooting any farther than about 200yds on Maine whitetails.

I would, however, suggest either surfing the Marble's website, or calling their customer service, to see if they offer a taller staff for their tang sight, for those extended ranges.

http://www.marblearms.com/

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

welcome to the forum.
For my new Miroku/Winchester 1886, I chose the Marbles Peep Tang and the Marbles folding barrel sight and they have been very satisfactory. Pix below:

Note that the front of the comb has been relieved to allow the peep to fold down and lock in place.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Welcome to the forum, Scott. :D

I have a Miroku made Winchester 1886 Deluxe take-down model, which has the tang safety. I installed a fixed stem Marble's tang sight with an extra tall staff for use in NRA Cowboy Rifle Silhouette shooting. Even with the tall stem I can't get out much past 350 yards, but I need only 200 yards for silhouette so I am happy with my Marble's sight. Marble's does make a sight with interchangeable stems, but I find that in that version the stem does not stay tight in the base and so elevation clicks are often not positive.

If you truly want to shoot out to 500 yards or more, go with the MVA vernier sight. If your rifle has the tang safety, that will have to be removed in order to fit the MVA sight. I would go with the 130 as it costs a lot less and the windage adjustment in the eyepiece is adequate for most conditions. A Hadley eyepiece is highly recommended.

I have a reproduction 1876 Winchester in .45-60 with an MVA mid-range 130 sight. It easily reaches 500 yards with smokeless powder, and I suspect it would still do it with black, even though I have not tried black at that distance.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My 86 is from 1916 and I have the Marbles on it along with the original back sight. Barrel sight regulated for 100 yards and tang sight for 200. I shoot mostly ffg in it. I think you would be served best by a mid-range sight from one of the current makers.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OD#3
Levergunner

Post by OD#3 »

I have a Marbles tang sight on my Browning/Miroku SRC. I have to say that I'm not thrilled with it--or tang sights at all, which is what I discovered after mounting one. The Brownings didn't come drilled and tapped, and I had to drill right through the "B" in "Browning". I've come to the conclusion that tang sights crowd my hand too much, especially the Marbles with their large windage knob. I don't know why they don't put that knob on the left side. For that matter, windage adjustments aren't very practical with a tang sight on the '86 anyway, because the rail ribs on the bolt actually have to flank the stem of the sight when you lever the rifle. So you'd better hope your rifle doesn't require much windage adjustment. If I had it to do over, it would be wearing a receiver sight.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Marbles makes a tang sight with an easily removable staff. There are three staff length/hight's available. I shoot mostly at less than 150 yd. so the short staff has plenty of adjustment for me.
longranger
Levergunner

Post by longranger »

400-500 yards and if you have to drill and tap I would only consider a MVA i.e. Montana Vintage Arms and would also consider replacing the front sight with one their globes.You can get the vernier with limited windage adjustment and would be better for those distances than the Marbles,Their soule sights are top notch and effective providing the ammo is good and they have all the windage adjustment you will need.