Marlin 1894 CL, problem, need advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
38 WCF
Levergunner

Marlin 1894 CL, problem, need advice

Post by 38 WCF »

Today I picked up a brand new, unfired Marlin 1894 CL in cal. 32-20. It was on consighment at a somewhat local gun store. It was priced to sell and I have wanted one as a companion to my USFA in the same caliber.
Well, I brought it home and decided to perform a function test with my handloaded ammo. I placed the safety in the on position and proceeded to load six cartridges into the magazine tube thru the loading gate. This is my 5th M 1894 and I noticed that this task was more difficult than my other rifles. I noted that the lever wanted to pop open and so I held it closed with my left hand and finally got 6 into the tube. That 6th round promptly slid right benind the loading gate tying the rifle up in the process.I monkeyed with it a bit and then the 5th round also slid behind the loading gate. I removed the lever to see if I could clear the jam but the bolt would not come out. Finally I removed the forearm and magazine tube end cap and spring and slid all of the cartridges out and put the gun back together. Working the action and looking at it carefully I note that the lever wants to pop open slightly without any provocation. I combared this to my 1894 45 Colt and found that it required just a bit more pressure to open. The 32-20 opens just by looking at it.! I do not think this is supposed to happen. The action is noticebly rougher than my other rifles and the trigger pul is quite heavy.
At any rate I am afraid to take this to the range or fiel or even load it untill I know what is going on and how to correct it.
Any help would be appreciated. :cry:
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

I would give the folks at Marlin a Call on Monday and talk to them. They will fix you up. 1-800-544-8892
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Been there too

Post by jdad »

Last June 07 I bought an 1894CL and right out of the box it would not cycle, extract, fit & finish problems, etc., so Marlin took it back. 15 rounds after getting it back I had 2 rounds up under the carrier, so back it went again. Marlin decided to scrap the rifle because they could not guarantee 100% reliability. They basically built me a new rifle, on a 2006 receiver, and it has been a trouble free and enjoyable rifle.

Marlin will make it right if when you contact them you are polite, leave the frustration and emotions out of it, and stick with the facts.
cecil
Levergunner

Post by cecil »

also sent in a new 32-20 with same problems.